Author Topic: Exiles required for the NI Emigrant Narrative Project  (Read 11638 times)

coralc

Re: Exiles required for the NI Emigrant Narrative Project
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2008, 12:39:54 PM »
Born in1948, moved from Linden Lea to Killowen Street(off the Woodstock Rd.) when Iwas 3, lived there until I was 10 , when we emigrated to Australia. I went to Harding Memorial School, across from my Grans in Dromore Street. My first teachers were Mrs Irvine and Alexander, I remember getting to school about 15 minutes late when I was in the Senior Infants class, because Carol McRoberts and I had spent so long outside the wee huxter shop deciding which 6d ring we'd go halvers on ! The playground was empty, and we were terrified ! What did they do to people who did something as bad as being late for school ? I think we were in two minds as to whether it would be a prison offence or not... we were very much in awe of our teachers in those days, and children then were much more in awe of adults in general, I think, even though a wee smack on the behind wasn't frequent in our house, a happy working class family who never had spare money , but prided themselves on never owing any, either. When I first arrived in Sydney I was amazed at the freedom the Aussie kids had to "back-talk" their parents, but my parents
were'nt about to relax any rules ! Coral
Family History-Carrickfergus, McIlwaine, Boyd Weatherup . Belfast,Clarke, Boyd. Dublin,William Hamilton Clarke-all clues & suggestions gratefully rece

Diane80

« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2008, 11:06:28 PM »
I worked in the Product Support Department beside the Fire Station. My boss was Frank Simpson but I  think the only one I know who is still alive is Derek Moore who now lives in Newtownards. Remember Noel North, Ron South, Hugh Ferguson, Cyril Davidson, Jack Whelan and Mike Ingle-Finch (who was Peter Finches brother).

Diane80

« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2008, 11:09:13 PM »
Born in1948, moved from Linden Lea to Killowen Street(off the Woodstock Rd.) when Iwas 3, lived there until I was 10 , when we emigrated to Australia. I went to Harding Memorial School, across from my Grans in Dromore Street. My first teachers were Mrs Irvine and Alexander, I remember getting to school about 15 minutes late when I was in the Senior Infants class, because Carol McRoberts and I had spent so long outside the wee huxter shop deciding which 6d ring we'd go halvers on ! The playground was empty, and we were terrified ! What did they do to people who did something as bad as being late for school ? I think we were in two minds as to whether it would be a prison offence or not... we were very much in awe of our teachers in those days, and children then were much more in awe of adults in general, I think, even though a wee smack on the behind wasn't frequent in our house, a happy working class family who never had spare money , but prided themselves on never owing any, either. When I first arrived in Sydney I was amazed at the freedom the Aussie kids had to "back-talk" their parents, but my parents
were'nt about to relax any rules ! Coral

Dommo

« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2010, 05:16:38 PM »
NI is a fantasy, have nothin to do with it
mafsef

When and where did you work in Shorts?  Bloom and I both worked there. I was the office girl in the technical building April 1960 for over a year, then to the production office in the main building  until Nov 62. I left and had two jobs, one in the U.T.A, then G.K.N. ( not far from Shorts) and returned to Shorts in Jan 66 until I immigrated to Canada in March 71.  I met Bloom when he worked in the insurance office in the main building. His Dad Robert Willock was a foreman and his brother Roy also worked in the factory. Did Betty work there too, if so where?

My sister and her family live in Grand Prix Park, off Comber Road.

My Uncle Victor Johnston was a postman for many years in Dundonald and this is where he and my Dad spent a lot of their youth.
if yer gonna act the chivo, beware the chupacabra

Angela Gallagher Millen

« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2017, 01:29:58 PM »
would love to hear from you x

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy