Author Topic: The Slaughter Houses in the Markets  (Read 12166 times)

knoxy

The Slaughter Houses in the Markets
« on: August 09, 2009, 05:00:55 PM »
Hi
I was wondering could anyone tell me anything about the Slaughter House in the Markets area?  Or would you have any photos of the people who used to work there?  It's just my grandfather used to work there.   ??? ???

McCusker

Re: The Slaughter Houses in the Markets
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 06:31:14 PM »
Hi
I was wondering could anyone tell me anything about the Slaughter House in the Markets area?  Or would you have any photos of the people who used to work there?  It's just my grandfather used to work there.   ??? ???

Think it was in a place called Stewart Street
Worked for a time with a guy from Falls called Tommy Houston who used to work there
Try typing in Belfast Stewart Street abbatoir
B
"You don't stop laughing when you get old, you get old when you stop laughing!"

stickyra

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 06:44:38 PM »
I worked in the meat plant at Duncrue Street. It was full of Markets and Strand guys. I presume they transferred from that old place when the new plant was opened.
Ní bheith mo leithid aris ann

homebird

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 07:54:49 PM »
The tunnels that housed some of the abbatoirs can still be seen in Stewart St

HB ;)

pq

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009, 08:14:05 PM »
the tunnels led from allams sheep and pig market into the abbatoir insteward street it went under east bridge st. if you look out-sid the waterfront hall you will see the sheep being hearded over to it .On the market thread look for the murals the abbatoir workers are on it and so is allams. I worked on the ramp in the one in duncrue st in the late 70s.
quae sursum volo videre

artibell

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2009, 08:54:14 PM »
Hi

http://www.belfastforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,6297.2055.html
Look on this page for a photo of some people from the slaughter house

RabRow

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2009, 12:52:31 PM »
Father worked in it. I remember he used to bring home the wee bullets they used for killing the cows. Also there was 'moslim' (some thing like that) which I think they used for covering the beef carcases. They came in handy as dusters in the house.

Remember too,we were doing a wee play in school..Robin Hood and of course a horn was needed so once again the abbatoir came in handy. :)

I had a couple of tours around it.

knoxy

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2009, 01:05:07 PM »
Father worked in it. I remember he used to bring home the wee bullets they used for killing the cows. Also there was 'moslim' (some thing like that) which I think they used for covering the beef carcases. They came in handy as dusters in the house.

Remember too,we were doing a wee play in school..Robin Hood and of course a horn was needed so once again the abbatoir came in handy. :)

I had a couple of tours around it.

Is the building still there and can you have tours around the slaughter house?   :)

pq

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2009, 01:18:04 PM »
now a carpark beside central station.
quae sursum volo videre

marketman

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2009, 12:41:55 AM »
Has anyone any info on the hide and skins store that used to sit on the corners of Eliza street and Murphy street. I wonder was there any photos taken at the time of the frontage or inside, thanks in advance.

Dickie

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2009, 12:46:46 AM »
I worked in the meat plant at Duncrue Street. It was full of Markets and Strand guys. I presume they transferred from that old place when the new plant was opened.

What yrs u work there 2 of my bros worked there both from new lodge but ur right alot of market men worked there.
What a marvellous night for a Moondance

pq

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2009, 07:36:37 AM »
markeyman not sure but think you called it city hides. there was also one in walsh st -lagan st and turnley st.
quae sursum volo videre

artibell

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2009, 02:11:43 PM »
Has anyone any info on the hide and skins store that used to sit on the corners of Eliza street and Murphy street. I wonder was there any photos taken at the time of the frontage or inside, thanks in advance.

that was McQueens

ned

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2009, 07:08:38 PM »
Remember the smells and the squeals of the animals, and the roars of the cows and sheep. It was busy and bustling with farmers and stockmen.
Be careful out there folks because they aren't.

Kathleen2

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2009, 07:22:45 PM »
Remember the smells and the squeals of the animals, and the roars of the cows and sheep. It was busy and bustling with farmers and stockmen.

That's enough to turn me vegetarian :(
" Tell them for their tomorrow, we gave our today"
A World War 1 soldier.

In memory of my grandfather, James McGimpsey. 9th Royal Scots.