Author Topic: The Slaughter Houses in the Markets  (Read 11909 times)

knoxy

Re: The Slaughter Houses in the Markets
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2009, 10:59:45 PM »
I don't know how anyone could work in the Slaughter Houses even though my grandfather worked there.  It really turns your stomach. 

pq

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2009, 11:27:29 AM »
i remember as a child a man died in one of the hide stores from anthrax.
quae sursum volo videre

knoxy

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2009, 05:33:04 PM »
i remember as a child a man died in one of the hide stores from anthrax.
My grandfather Robert McMullan (his nickname was Tim) died in the Slaughter Houses at the Markets, can you remember what year when this man died?  I am not sure if it was the 1950s  as all I know is my mum was a little girl when her father died.

pq

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2009, 08:47:55 PM »
My grandfather Robert McMullan (his nickname was Tim) died in the Slaughter Houses at the Markets, can you remember what year when this man died?  I am not sure if it was the 1950s  as all I know is my mum was a little girl when her father died.
sorry knoxy do not know the exact year but think it was the early 60s .
quae sursum volo videre

knoxy

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2009, 09:04:48 PM »
sorry knoxy do not know the exact year but think it was the early 60s .
I'll check it out with the register's office search in Belfast and see what I can find as I have an appointment booked with them.  Thank you anyway.   :) :)

marketman

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2009, 04:32:58 AM »
I remenber someone dying at the Welsh street hide and skin store, I'm near sure that it was a heart attack. That would have been the mid sixties, I hope that helps.

knoxy

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2009, 12:34:24 PM »
I remenber someone dying at the Welsh street hide and skin store, I'm near sure that it was a heart attack. That would have been the mid sixties, I hope that helps.
I have a funny feeling that this person was my grandfather as he was living in Welsh Street at the time but I'll check out the both of them anyway.  Thank you for helping me here.   :) :)

OLD ST.MALS GAL

« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2009, 11:25:07 PM »
My Granny lived in Stewart St. opposite the abattoir.  Can still remember the stench.  I hated it as a child.
But as soon as I turned the corner at Eliza Street, the aroma of Inglis Bakery was unbelievable.
Still to this day, I just love the smell of freshly baked bread

OSMG

Kraffy

« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2009, 05:45:28 AM »
I used to wander over there when a kid in summer. I will never forget the stink of the place. I think the hide place was called  'City Hide, Skin & Fat' It was always good to get 'upwind' of it. (the slaughterhouse) The markets were nearly opposite, I think, or just a bit past it. Back on the Ravenhill Rd there was a place that had a couple of old wartime tanks, buses & trucks. Used to have great fun there too. That was between the Boyd school & Albert Bridge.

barney

« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2009, 04:14:55 AM »

As a Telegram Boy in the late 50`s, I can still recall the stench and sometimes riding into a herd of cows in the cobbled streets.

REP1

« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2009, 06:45:53 PM »
My Uncle Micky Brady worked there. He caught anthrax off a diseased animal, through an infected cut in his Neck. He died after a few days. he was 23 years old. This was in the thirties. It made the news papers at the time.
Indifference is the essence of inhumanity

barry

« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2009, 10:14:39 PM »
to the  best  of  my  knowledge  (  or  in  my  case memory ) they  killed  the  animals   with  a  bolt gun  not  bullets, either  way  it  was  not  a  pretty  sight, and  the  stench  , well  lets  not  go  there.
THAT'S  THE  WAY  I  SEE  IT, THAT'S  THE  WAY I  TELL  IT.

Rosser

« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2009, 03:02:07 PM »
My Da, Ben Ross was the maintenance fitter in the slaughterhouse, he used to take me to work with him most Sundays and sometimes during the week in the summer, I first met Silver McKee who was a drover then, A real gentleman, I then started work in Duncrue st as a Humane killer which I was happy enough doing but left for better things.
How's yer belly off for blackheads

Treacle_chew

« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2009, 08:29:04 PM »
Another awful place was the old pig factory on the suffolk rd just up from Woodburn cottages, the squeals were hard to listen too. :o

Loneygrandchild

« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2014, 01:35:58 AM »
Hi, wondering if anyone has info a 'slaughter house' football team?

LGC
Dempsey Rooney McGivern Nolan Hughes O'Neill Bogue O'Hara Boyle Madden Donnelly Downey Fegan Foster Farr Sheils McCormack Gracey Gallagher McDowell