Author Topic: The Spanish Rooms Publc House.  (Read 4304 times)

terency1945

Re: The Spanish Rooms Publc House.
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2008, 07:08:28 PM »
I remember the Spanish Rooms well.  The Friday night ritual was - get home from work as early as possible, throw your tea into you, quick wash and brush up, don the "threads" you would be wearing later in the evening to go to the Jazz Club or the Maritime and jump on the bus down the Falls to get into the Spanish Rooms just as the strains of Them's "Baby please don't go" from the TV heralded the start of "Ready, Steady,Go".  The Spanish Rooms (we referred to it as "the Rooms" or "the Span") was a real melting pot in those far-off and fondly remembered days.  You got "hard men" from the Loney or Ballymurphy rubbing shoulders with Protestant grammar school boys from Inst, Methody and BRA.  Everyone dressed casually in the style of the sixties except on Saturday nights when the grammar school boys wore their three-piece suits prior to going to the dance at Inst.  So far as I can remember there was never any trouble, certainly nothing of a sectarian nature.  All were united by the love of the great god scrumpy. The food consisted of either salad sandwiches or chicken baps and it was the best pub grub in Belfast.  As others have said, redevelopment in the area closed the Spanish Rooms and the owner Jimmy Coyle took over the Clorane Bar in Gresham St and was eventually shot dead on the premises by the UFV. 

giannineo

« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2008, 08:20:06 PM »
jeez Terency, that is the place summed up....I was the Methody buy with the pin striped suit going on to the Inst. Dance to try and pull some snotty wee beg from Victoria College or Princess Gardens O0

dennis king

« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2020, 08:37:16 AM »
Are you sure the Scrumpy in the Spanish Rooms was not called Gaylord, not Gayheart?

derdrei

« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2020, 09:23:02 AM »
AH, BUT DO YOU RECALL--------- DR. HOOKS, IN THE DIVIS. THE WALKING STICK ON THE FALLS, THE SORE TOOTH ON THE GROS. RD THE SWEETIE BOTTLE IN RAGLAN ST. YES SHIBEENS. MEMORIES, MEMORIES, MEMORIES.
big time arkie.