Author Topic: Cullingtree Road barber shop  (Read 3244 times)

The Murph

Cullingtree Road barber shop
« on: August 13, 2009, 03:04:18 PM »
I am looking for any information or photos of the barbers shop on the corner of Cullingtree road, and Quadrant street. This would have been back in the early fifties. I think this is where my grandfather had his shop. His name was Joe Smith
Thanks for any information.
Blessed are the cracked, they will let in the light.

McNamee

Re: Cullingtree Road barber shop
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 03:18:21 PM »
If you wait until Teragram comes on he should be able to help you. ;)

The Murph

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 03:06:43 PM »
If you wait until Teragram comes on he should be able to help you. ;)

Thank you, I will look forward to any information. It has surprised me how much info there is on this site...

McNamee

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2009, 09:38:22 AM »
Tera Take a look at the lst question

teragram

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2009, 10:17:33 AM »
I am looking for any information or photos of the barbers shop on the corner of Cullingtree road, and Quadrant street. This would have been back in the early fifties. I think this is where my grandfather had his shop. His name was Joe Smith
Thanks for any information.

Hello The Murph

I lived in Quadrant St from I was born in 1950 'til 1971. I never remember a barbers shop there. There were two shops at the top of the street. Docherty's hardware shop, and Brannigas grocery shop. I'd imagine Doherty's would have been there a lifetime even before I was born, so it was possibly on the other corner where Brannigans was.  Hopefully (spot) will see this question and respond to it. He's a wealth of information.  If he doesn't respond, I'll send him an email.
If you don't do it you won't get caught.

teragram

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2009, 10:29:02 AM »
Hello again The Murph,

I just remembered that you are related to Joe Quinn who lived in Quadrant st, and Joe was related to the Dochertys who owned the hardware shop, so maybe there was a barbers there at one time.  If you could send me your email address I could give you more info.  You will find my email address in my profile.

teragram

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2009, 10:34:03 AM »
Another piece of info just came into my head. Next door to Dochertys shop on the Cullingtree rd, there was a family called Smith who were related to the Quinns and the  Dochertys.  There was a bloke in the family with a very big head and a hump on his back.   I was going to ask the obvious "does that ring any bells?"  but I won't bother.

The Murph

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2009, 02:14:17 PM »

Hello The Murph

I lived in Quadrant St from I was born in 1950 'til 1971. I never remember a barbers shop there. There were two shops at the top of the street. Docherty's hardware shop, and Brannigas grocery shop. I'd imagine Doherty's would have been there a lifetime even before I was born, so it was possibly on the other corner where Brannigans was.  Hopefully (spot) will see this question and respond to it. He's a wealth of information.  If he doesn't respond, I'll send him an email.

Insert Quote
Hello again The Murph,

I just remembered that you are related to Joe Quinn who lived in Quadrant st, and Joe was related to the Dochertys who owned the hardware shop, so maybe there was a barbers there at one time.  If you could send me your email address I could give you more info.  You will find my email address in my profile.

Yep, you are right. Joe is my cousin. Havent seen him in 30 plus years. The Smiths in Cullingtree road was where my mothers family lived. She was a Smith. I have a very vague recollection of having my hair cut by my grandfather, whom i was named for, at the age of about 3 or so. Its the only memory I have of him but I believe it was in the shop on the corner of Quadrant street.
Also know about the uncle who had the large head. He was my much loved uncle. Wee Frank, as distinct from Big Frank who was my great uncle  :)
Since you are the same age as me, you might not remember if the shop was a barbers....
Thanks for the info

Liz51

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2009, 08:44:46 PM »
the barber shop i remember was across the rd from brooke st

teragram

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2009, 08:48:38 PM »
Aye, that was Frank Thompsons I think, the penny barber.

Vincent Dargan

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2009, 04:32:05 PM »
There was a barbers shop at the Lower end of Albert Street on the same side as the National Forresters Club I have the photo of the young barber standing at the door I think he was called  John Donnelly
Click Here http://www.photomemoriesbelfast.com/  for images of the Falls and other Belfast Areas.
The Website of Nostalgia  http://www.belfastimages.org

teragram

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2009, 04:48:35 PM »
Vincent, that was John Donnelly and he was a very good friend of mine. I'd love to see the photo.  I've seen it before somewhere but the quality was crap. I was able to recognise him cos I knew him so well. He took that barbers shop over from Joe Patten but kept Joe's name above the shop. John, rip, taught me how to drink.  Him and his brother Eddie used to have a barbers shop in Divis St on the other side of the road from St Comgalls school but down a bit.