Author Topic: AFRICAN DOCTOR IN PRIVATE PRACTICE IN BELFAST 1920'S  (Read 4736 times)

the buckcat

AFRICAN DOCTOR IN PRIVATE PRACTICE IN BELFAST 1920'S
« on: August 13, 2009, 11:32:07 PM »
Hi Folks,
I wonder if anyone can help me with some research? I am basing my enquiry on a story my father told me many years ago. Apparently University Square in Belfast was once Belfast's equivalent of Harley Street in London, this was about the turn of the century and during the early part of the 20th century.
An African doctor set up practice in the end house at the corner of University Square and University Road. I think this was number 1 University Square. As I was told the story, he was reviled by his neighbours on the Square and regarded as a 'quack' doctor who, although he was totally qualified as a doctor by the RCM, was accused of using practices similar to an 'African Witch Doctor'. However he was kind and generous to the workers who had little money to afford medical care.
I recall my father showing me the marks on the wall of this house where the next door neighbours erected a large fence in order not to have to look at this gentleman and his family. These have gone now as the entire block has been renovated.
Can anyone help??

ajexp

Re: AFRICAN DOCTOR IN PRIVATE PRACTICE IN BELFAST 1920'S
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 12:18:36 AM »
I can remember the first doctor i had seen in my life,and indeed the first black person i had seen in my life was in east belfast early fifties, Dr Denny. Could this have been the same man later in life?. He was I think our family doctor so it might have been that he was around in the late fourties.

naumai

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 03:23:13 AM »
DR Denny ,was the first black man I ever saw  to,he was also my family DR ,he delivered me in 1941 and was still working in 1963 when I left belfast,he was a real gentleman .

Boo

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 04:35:49 PM »
Dr Emanuell was my mums doctor he was black he deliverd me my mum said he was a gentleman

Justgran

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 10:10:32 PM »
I remember my Grandfather had a black homeopathic Doctor - Dr Rollick. He used to arrive at the house with a little case full of all his remedies.

Marley

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2009, 11:41:20 AM »
I remember my Grandfather had a black homeopathic Doctor - Dr Rollick. He used to arrive at the house with a little case full of all his remedies.
i remember doctor rollick he had a surgery on the donegall road facing roden street my mum done caretaker for him  he was a real gentleman  and a brillant doctor

vespamum

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2009, 12:06:27 PM »
marley i lived in donegall ave as a child , and i remember the doc, i also remember a Mrs Doherty who lived in same house as doctors was , my late  mother and her were good friends, am i remembering right? ;)

Kraffy

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2009, 03:21:50 PM »
I remember Dr Denny on the Ravenhill Rd. in the 40s & 50s He was a revered Dr. at the time with his patients. He also had a son Garnet Denny who was not so 'revered'.

Marley

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2009, 08:56:07 PM »
marley i lived in donegall ave as a child , and i remember the doc, i also remember a Mrs Doherty who lived in same house as doctors was , my late  mother and her were good friends, am i remembering right? ;)
hi vespamum  we lived in the flat above the doctors surgery from 1953  to 1960  and my mum was caretaker and receptionist i will ask my mum if she remembers them  it was 268 Donegall road  our name was Aldridge he was a lovely person and very kind

Kalundu

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2009, 04:13:51 AM »
Doctor Denny (who brought me into the world) was in practice at least until the early 1960s.  I was emigrating to South Africa and needed to have a medical examination before I could go. By that stage he had a partner (who was white). Doctor Denny was VERY Well regarded. he was our family doctor.

I am now living in Cleveland, Queensland, Australia. As you know C. S. Lewis was born in Belfast. Our little town has been taken over by Disney as it is filming the third of the Narnia series here. We go down sometimes to see it being done.

naumai

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2009, 05:16:50 AM »
Dr Denny brought me into the world to.early 60's his partner was Dr Gilmore.

Kalundu

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2009, 11:37:16 AM »
Thanks for that information. I THOUGHT  the name of his partner was Dr. Gilmore, BUT after all these years I was not sure. I must say all our family had great faith in Dr. Denny - those were the days Doctors were willing to come to the homes to visit people  - I do not know what it is like now BUT certainly in both South Africa and Australia one  must drag  himself or herself to the Doctor's rooms no matter who sick one may be. It depends on finances BUT we would like to visit Belfast again.

Croshan44

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2011, 04:10:31 PM »
Eric Oliver Blake from Trinidad was a medical graduate of Queens in the 1920s and had his home (possibly also a surgery) at 7 University Avenue from 1936 until his death in 1948. He may be the 'African doctor' or 'black doctor' that people remember.

alanomuireagain

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2011, 11:06:11 PM »
I lived in a street off the Donegal Rd from 1955 to 1967, and I remember Dr Rollick very well, he was absolutely fantastic, used to do more house visits in one evening than an entire hospital full of GP's would do these days!
I used to suffer from terrible headaches when I was a kid, and he would come round the house and give me these tiny, sweet tasting pills and say "your headache will be gone in a couple of hours".
Now I think they were only placebos, but at the time they worked, we had such respect for Dr Rollick, he was our version of Morgan Freeman, someone you could really trust!

Nancymcc

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2016, 04:34:05 PM »
I lived on Ballarat Street and Dr Denny was my doctor, his assistant if I remember correctly was Isaac. Dr Denny lived on the Ravenhill Road, we just walked in when we needed to see him.  I remember him as a very nice kind man