Author Topic: McCutcheon/McFarland/Maguire/Campbell  (Read 1833 times)

KenHartley

McCutcheon/McFarland/Maguire/Campbell
« on: June 08, 2006, 12:43:49 PM »
Looking for any information on the families of the following circa 1840 onwards in Tyrone County - possibly descendants in Belfast area?????

John McCutcheon married to Mary McFarland; 2 known sons - Samuel & William; William born between 1865 and 1870; Mary McFarland born about 1821 - died 1899 in Canada age 78; John McCutcheon died before 1894 in Tyrone; Samuel & William came to Canada before 1891; William returned to Ireland and brought his mother to Canada in April 1894; Samuel headed to Western Canada or US and disappeared

Edward Maguire married to Anna Campbell probably in the area of Omagh; known children - Charles, Edward, James, Stewart and Catherine; children born between 1835 and 1846; Edward died March 20, 1889 in Killycurragh; Anna Campbell probably died before him; sons emigrated to the US; Catherine lived in Omagh and area, never married, had 6 children and died 1902 in Killycurragh. Believe that one of Catherine's daughters may have married and ended up in Belfast area - possible family name of BLACK.

Any information on these families while they were all still in Ireland greatly appreciated - ANYTHING!!!!!!! :)

Ken Hartley
Canada

KenHartley

Re: McCutcheon/McFarland/Maguire/Campbell
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2006, 06:08:40 PM »
CORRECTION to posting - One of Catherine Maguire's daughters, Elizabeth married a JOHNSTON. One of the Johnston daughters married a BLACK and possibly moved to the Belfast area.

Christopher

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2006, 11:14:10 PM »
Hiya Ken,

I think I will wait for you to post again. Your second post sounds positive ...  the girl married a Black rather than possibly married a Black. With a bit of luck your next post will confirm that Mrs Black (nee Elizabeth Johnston's daughter) and her husband definitely moved to Belfast. I presume they moved during the late 1800s to early 1900s.

All the Best, Christopher

KenHartley

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2006, 01:18:48 AM »
1901 Census - 6 Church Hill, Omagh

Robert John Johnston, age 40, slater
Lizzie J Johnston, age 39 (Maiden name MAGUIRE)
James Johnston, age 14, apprentice slater
Susan johnston, age 12, scholar (emigrated to Pennsylvania)
Robert Johnston, age 11, scholar
William Johnston, age 7, scholar
Sarah Johnston, age 4
Christina Johnston, age 5 months

A couple names missing from that 1901 Census for the Johnston Family of Omagh -

Samuel (Sammie) - married a Maguire (?)
Louise - married a John Gilkinson

Also -

Suasn married an Austin Shepler - Pennsylvania
Christina married a John Black
Sarah married a ??? Seawingert

Do not know anything of James, Robert or William.

Elizabeth Anne (Maguire) Johnston was born about 1862, the daughter of Catherine Maguire, who was the daughter of Edward Maguire and Anna Campbell. Her siblings were - Mary(My GGM), Ellen, William Stewart, James and Charles. All but Elizabeth and James emigrated to Canada. I have found no reference for a marriage for Catherine Maguire although she had 6 children. In 1901 she was living with her son James in Omagh. Catherine Maguire died in Killycurragh in 1902 and the death registration was signed by her daughter, Elizabeth Johnston. Edward Maguire also died in Killycurragh in 1889, his wife Anna died sometime before him.

Christopher

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2006, 12:35:17 AM »
Hiya Ken,

Are these Johnstons, Catholic, C o I, Presbyterian or other?
52 Johnstons from Omagh signed the Ulster Covenant in 1912

All the Best, Christopher