Author Topic: Milk Marketing Board for Northern Ireland  (Read 16069 times)

wilfam

Milk Marketing Board for Northern Ireland
« on: August 14, 2009, 02:24:28 PM »
Would love to share memories of a great old institution in Belfast & NI, the Milk Marketing Board. The headquarters stood at 456 Antrim Road (on the grounds of two nineteenth century 'mansions' - the larger of which was known as Dromart House). The MMBNI (which later became United Dairy Farmers and operations moved to Dargan Road) has now mostly gone - in it's place high density housing. It was officially opened by the Duchess of Gloucester on Saturday 17th November 1962 (staff had to go in and act like it was a work day!).
I worked for over twelve years in the original office block, now apartments. I left the Board in 1987 and have great memories of my time there.
wilfam

ricicle

Re: Milk Marketing Board for Northern Ireland
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 10:13:38 PM »
I worked in the Board 73-79, in the wages section.  The old office is still there but now refurbished as an apartment! Have some good memories of the place.  Still meet up with a few of the girls the odd time.  What office were you in?

wilfam

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 12:49:42 PM »
I worked there from 1975 - 1987. I worked first of all for two years at reception then moved to the library. Who was in charges of wages?? You would remember Nancy and Arnold!! I made many good friends there and met my husband there - in fact there were many couples met and married while working at the Board.
wilfam

harrydunn

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2009, 06:24:16 PM »
was there a Crawford Drennan worked there 70s

wee legs

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2009, 08:58:23 PM »
What happened to those two big dogs that used to roam the place? One was fierce enough to scare off the burglars, but when she was joined by her pup no-one in his right mind would have jumped that fence.
just keep going, it's better than the alternative.

old wallion

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2009, 09:44:10 PM »
I worked there from 1975 - 1987. I worked first of all for two years at reception then moved to the library. Who was in charges of wages?? You would remember Nancy and Arnold!! I made many good friends there and met my husband there - in fact there were many couples met and married while working at the Board.
I know a lady called Betty  who worked there some years ago :)

alroh

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2009, 12:22:01 AM »
does Margaret and Flo Lowry or Harold Burns ring any bells?

wilfam

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2009, 11:42:18 AM »
Alroh - I knew Tom Lowry but not Margaret or Flo. I also knew Harry Burns - not long retired I think. Of course he might be better known as an international hockey player.
Harrydunn - I didn't know Crawford Drennan but did know Crawford Gourley.
Old Wallion, what was Betty's surname?
wilfam

wilfam

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2009, 02:16:05 PM »
This is the MMB building - photo taken from the spire of Fortwilliam Presbyterian Church taken around the time of the official opening.
IMG]http://i861.photobucket.com/albums/ab174/wilfam2408/CCF16082009_00000.jpg[/IMG]
Try again with the photo:

wilfam

alroh

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2009, 06:25:44 PM »
wilfam  -  you are correct about harry {MBE} he has retired .  flo lowry actually married harry.  they met at the Board.  Known each  for years.

ricicle

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2009, 11:32:48 PM »
Hi Wilfam.  I remember Arnold and Nancy OK.  Arnold was my boss and Sandy Smith.  The computer room was run by Sam Lyons and was a large room containing racks of machinery.  It produced the wages and farmers cheques and was probably less powerful than my daughter's DS!!! ::) ::) ;) It took a room full of punchcard operators to feed it! And that's not even 40 years ago!!! Occasionally meet up with Linda Bryce, Wendy Hart, Eleanor Cahoon and Marion Lynn.

wilfam

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2009, 12:13:46 PM »
Hi Ricicle - Nancy kept a list of all the people in the Board who met there and married. It was quite a long list!! I met my husband there, John Wilson. My name was Lamont (Geraldine) when I worked there. I remember Marion Lynn, she worked in Sales Development isn't that right? We got an email a while back from Nelson Bryce just to say hello - he'd met up with Chris Marshall and it Chris who gave Nelson and Linda our email address. It was lovely to hear from them. I kept in touch with Chris and his wife for years but haven't heard from them for a while. Valerie Starrett and I still communicate & also Marie Wallace (Doherty). Have you heard anything of Moya Quinn?
Cheers
wilfam

wilfam

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2009, 03:16:03 PM »
Another photo from my Milk Marketing Board days - the Lord Mayor's Show May 1975.
wilfam

wilfam

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2009, 03:31:43 PM »
This is Dromart House - one of two houses demolished to build the MMB.
wilfam

bhelena

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2009, 04:01:35 PM »
Would love to share memories of a great old institution in Belfast & NI, the Milk Marketing Board. The headquarters stood at 456 Antrim Road (on the grounds of two nineteenth century 'mansions' - the larger of which was known as Dromart House). The MMBNI (which later became United Dairy Farmers and operations moved to Dargan Road) has now mostly gone - in it's place high density housing. It was officially opened by the Duchess of Gloucester on Saturday 17th November 1962 (staff had to go in and act like it was a work day!).
I worked for over twelve years in the original office block, now apartments. I left the Board in 1987 and have great memories of my time there.

Hi wilfam I have a nieghbour who worked for MMB her name is Mary she left there to come South she came from the Rockmount Street at the bottom of the Falls Road I dont know what her maiden name was she would be in her late 50s to early 60s now..