Author Topic: Milk Marketing Board for Northern Ireland  (Read 16070 times)

ontheboats

Re: Milk Marketing Board for Northern Ireland
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2010, 07:56:07 PM »
wilfam, sorry I dont know Cyprus George's second name,he has been out there quite a while,I assume originally with his wife,but he has remarried to a Russian lady.When we were last there in July his daughter and grandchildren were out to visit. I would assume he may be quite a bit older than big Nelson.

Gerry Burns

« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2010, 07:44:45 AM »
Hi Gerry here...I'm sorry you can't remember Yvonne Mallet ..she left Graymount School on Gray's Lane to join Milk Marketing board ...on reflection she may not have work in the Labs but she definitely worked along side them maybe in a secretarial position.I've searched long and hard for her but too no avail..Both her parents are dead now so long gone from address I had in Glengormley ..she had 2 brother Roy and John and sister but her name eludes me .So should you recall anything anything at all or know of someone that could help me get through the doors i would be in your debt forever.
Kind regards
Gerry

JA

« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2011, 03:04:08 AM »
Wilfam do you remember Rose McIlvouge. She worked in the labs around 1960-62? Also a Willie Armstrong worked in the Ballynure lab with Dr.Chambers? Know where they are by chance?

JA

wilfam

« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2011, 11:03:05 AM »
Gerry - did Yvonne have red hair? There was an Yvonne Johnston (that is her married name) who I think worked in the office of the lab then went on to be secretary to one of the directors.
JA - Indeed I remember Rose well (married name Teague) - she was there still when we left NI to live in Australia - my husband left the Board in 91 (which is when we immigrated) - I left the Board in 87 when I had twin babies. Both of us worked there for more than twelve years. Dr Chambers was the General Manager in my days at the Board and he died just in December last year. He had a long and fairly illustrious career in the dairy industry in NI.
wilfam

JA

« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2011, 07:03:16 PM »
Thanks Wilfam for the information. Do you remember Margaret Simpson? We dated around 1962 for a while. Hope you are enjoying your life in 0z

JA

montyrebel

« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2014, 06:20:34 PM »
My mum and my auntie worked there before, not sure in which parts but the surname was Boyd if it rings any bells with anyone

Ganstry

« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2014, 05:21:26 PM »
Hello,

I'm very interested by the picture of Dromart.  I have recently found papers which appear to suggest my great grandfather William Gilbert owned the house (not necessarily outright).  I have letters from the tenants Thomas Foulkes Shillington and his wife Arabel Park Shillington, which are stamped "Dromart, Antrim Road, Belfast" at the top.  They date from the early 1900s.

One letter is from (A?) Rainey and refers to a Col Buckle of Lisanore Lodge.  Apparently the fence between his house and Dromart was in need of repair - and would they (or my g grandfather) pay half the costs.

Thomas Shillington died on 8th April 1914.  On the 28th April his widow Arabel wrote to my g grandfather to talk of leaving Dromart:

"I believe Arthur [her son] has spoken to you of our leaving Dromart and you have been good enough to say you allow us to leave in August if we wish.  We shall be very sorry for some things to move after thirty happy years here, but I should not care for the responsibility of so large a place now and I suppose this is the time to give notice..."

The Shillingtons and Gilberts were both from the Aghagallon area (near Lurgan) and had probably known each other for generations (one letter does actually refer to a visit to the village).

I have asked my family and no one so far has ever heard of Dromart.  It is likely my great grandfather sold it not long after 1914.  I have been trying to find the property on the Valuation Books on PRONI, but so far without success.  I'm used to looking up farms out of town, less familiar with houses in Belfast - can anyone help?

Thanks,
Ganstry

john Patton

« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2018, 08:23:29 PM »
Dear Sir/Madam,
         This was my grandmothers house where I had a great time playing as a child in the garden and up the tower. My bedroom was upstairs left hand window which was above the library. This is a great memory for me and my mother was brought up in this house. my great grandmother also was alive when I was about 6 yrs old. My grandmother was a relation to Percy French the famous song writer in Ireland. The family also used to own a furniture company in Belfast. I can tell you exactly what the inside of the house was like as I can remember it as if it was yesterday.     

brendain122

« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2018, 12:55:16 AM »
What I remember as a pupil at Bearnegeeha between 1972 and 1979 was walking past the MMB each day admiring the droves of stunning women who worked there!

CMcG

« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2018, 09:30:35 AM »
Northern Whig of 3 July 1934:

If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

Creaky

« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2018, 10:24:44 AM »
Does anyone remember a big house to the right of the MMB about 1969/70? It was derelict at the time and would have been very similar in appearance to Dromart House. It had a tower as well, as many of the big houses in that area had. I remember going into it and having a nosey round and going up the tower. There was a big sweeping staircase like something out of "Gone with the wind". I think the house may have been known as "The Towers". It was an amazing place. I think it was demolished to provide space for an extension to the MMB but can't be sure.
Love will always  change to sorrow, but everyone must play the game. We're here today and gone tomorrow, but the world goes on the same.

wilfam

« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2018, 01:40:42 PM »
Hi Creaky, somewhere in the history of the MMB I read that two houses were demolished to make way for the building of the MMB, 'the most notable was Dromart House'. It didn't give the name of the other house. Could this be the one you refer to?

The land was cleared of the two properties and the MMB was built with no later extensions.
wilfam

wilfam

« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2018, 01:47:41 PM »
Hi John Patton - thanks for that very interesting piece of history. It must have been quite a grand house in its day. Great that there are family members like yourself who still remember it and can us an insight to the house and the owners.
I worked in the MMB for many years and never gave the land on which it stood much thought, these things come later in life! Maybe you can answer Creaky's question.
Thanks again
wilfam

wilfam

« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2018, 01:50:36 PM »
Hi CMcG thanks for the photo - there is such a lot of information in the ad regarding the accommodation in the house, it must have been huge - six bedrooms! Garage also with petrol pump??
wilfam

wilfam

« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2018, 01:53:19 PM »
Hi John Patton - I was just reading the description of the interior of Dromart House on the advertisement that was posted earlier. To a small boy the house must have been enormous. Going by the description of the overall accommodation, it was truly a grand house.
wilfam