Author Topic: Milk Marketing Board for Northern Ireland  (Read 16073 times)

CMcG

Re: Milk Marketing Board for Northern Ireland
« Reply #60 on: February 27, 2018, 10:55:28 AM »

... It certainly would be interesting to find out the history of those and what eventually happened to them.

Goodness knows where they ended up, they were part of the 1935 sale of the house chattels mentioned in a previous post:

etc., etc., then...

If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

Creaky

« Reply #61 on: February 27, 2018, 12:54:58 PM »
Goodness knows where they ended up, they were part of the 1935 sale of the house chattels mentioned in a previous post:

etc., etc., then...

Is'nt it funny how prices have changed and so on. Take that lawnmower for example which cost 80 at the time. Using the Retail Price Index, that would cost approx. 5100 today but you can buy a petrol driven lawnmower in B&Q for little more than 100. It's little wonder we have become a "throw away" society.
Love will always  change to sorrow, but everyone must play the game. We're here today and gone tomorrow, but the world goes on the same.

CMcG

« Reply #62 on: February 27, 2018, 01:48:15 PM »
Although to be fair, Dennis was and is at the top end of mowers, even today a new cheapie is well over 400 and middle range 'push type' mowers are up to several thousands.  But yes, it's remarkable that you can buy an automatic kettle jug for 5, when I was young the kettle was a copper and chrome affair that weighed a ton, took 15 minutes to boil, and was left with a local shop to have a new element fitted.

If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

Ganstry

« Reply #63 on: March 03, 2018, 06:49:21 PM »
And it looks like the whole area to the rear of Dromart (what was the tram depot) became the Salisbury Bowling Club.  Interesting to note from a modern satellite view that the property beside the tram depot / bowling club has retained it's very distinctive straight-edged footprint (big red brick building and perimeter wall), also that the two semis on the other (Chichester Park South) side of the tram depot / bowling club are still there.

Can't be sure, but I reckon Dromart's cannons were pointed at the Presbyterian Church...  :D

Added: Just a thought, but I wonder were the cannons something that was left over from Gen. Richardson's time in the house?

The obituary for Edward Rogan (Northern Whig, 8th Aug 1932) says: 

Owner of the Salisbury Tennis Court, he had done much to foster the game in North Belfast

In 1934 the courts were sold to Chichester Lawn Tennis Club.  Somewhere along the way it evidently morphed into Salisbury Bowling Club.

I reckon you could be right about the cannon.

Aeagle

« Reply #64 on: August 29, 2019, 09:19:03 PM »
I remember Yvonne mallett, she worked in credit control alongside Stephen mc corry. Stephen retired last year, you are right that Yvonne was back working in duncrue , but not sure if she stayed. I used to work in the labs, but I also worked for you when you had the bakery in green castle. We had some good times, did you ever keep in contact with dessie? Love arlene

Aeagle

« Reply #65 on: August 29, 2019, 09:33:53 PM »
Geraldine, just to let you know Kate hull lost her fight with cancer and will be buried this Sunday. Kate worked originally in the punch room before moving to milk utilisation to work with harry burns