Author Topic: Another Emigrant's Story  (Read 1957 times)

paddybarr

Another Emigrant's Story
« on: August 27, 2009, 06:11:02 AM »
Just introducing myself in this first post and hoping to connect with old friends that I knew in Belfast when I was still a young guy, especially those from my old neighbourhood, Cromac Street and the Market. I am one of the Barr family.....son of Joe Barr, barber at 50 Cromac Street and my mammy was Sarah. I left home in 1961 when I was 21 and came to Ottawa, Canada where I still live with wife Hélène, son Matthew and daughter Sarah, both of whom are married. It would be great to hear from any old pals, from the Market, St. Malachy's, or my old school - St. Mary's, Primary and Secondary on Divis Street. I come from a large family and have a brother and sister now living here in Ottawa, sisters in California and in Br. Columbia as well as one brother still at home in Bangor. Others in the family have passed away including my parents. I'd love to see any photos of Cromac Street in its glory days of the fifties and sixties - all shops, pubs and full of lights and life. Any out there?
Soapybarr
Barrack Street Boy

pentio

Re: Another Emigrant's Story
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 04:14:24 PM »
Hi paddybarr, a very warm welcome to the Belfast Fourm, hope you enjoy the craic and banter on here. I think this thread will interest you, Who do you know from the Market in Belfast History, started by Dolly.There are lots of stories and photos from the Markets area which you will enjoy reading.

www.belfastforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=6297.0 -

Geraldine

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 08:06:27 PM »
Just introducing myself in this first post and hoping to connect with old friends that I knew in Belfast when I was still a young guy, especially those from my old neighbourhood, Cromac Street and the Market. I am one of the Barr family.....son of Joe Barr, barber at 50 Cromac Street and my mammy was Sarah. I left home in 1961 when I was 21 and came to Ottawa, Canada where I still live with wife Hélène, son Matthew and daughter Sarah, both of whom are married. It would be great to hear from any old pals, from the Market, St. Malachy's, or my old school - St. Mary's, Primary and Secondary on Divis Street. I come from a large family and have a brother and sister now living here in Ottawa, sisters in California and in Br. Columbia as well as one brother still at home in Bangor. Others in the family have passed away including my parents. I'd love to see any photos of Cromac Street in its glory days of the fifties and sixties - all shops, pubs and full of lights and life. Any out there?
Soapybarr

Hi paddybarr,Welcome to BF.
Am sure you will enjoy it and find out lots about your old neighbourhood
Cheers Geraldine
For to be free is not merely to cast off ones chains but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others.          Nelson Mandela

Montrose

• Account Closed
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 11:34:38 PM »

Welcome to the Forum Paddy, If you go on the market thread there is a Lady on there from the Market called Dolly, she will make you feel right at home, as will all the folks on there ;)
Montrose

"I've learned that the people you care most about in life, are taken from you too soon, and the real pains in the ass are permanent. "

Val

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 11:42:08 PM »
A good warm welcome from another fellow Canadian in Mississauga, you are going to have a wonderful time on here and The Market thread is the best place for you to be. You will meet many of your old friends on there I am sure.

Take care and enjoy and come and see us on The Canada Thread, in Exiles.

Val  ;)

deke

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 11:57:13 PM »
Welcome Paddybar   just down the Highway from you in Kingston
I used to be indecisive.   Now I'm not so sure.

Kathleen2

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2009, 01:36:52 AM »
Hello and welcome Paddybar. Kathleen here, living in Thornhill, Ontario :)
" Tell them for their tomorrow, we gave our today"
A World War 1 soldier.

In memory of my grandfather, James McGimpsey. 9th Royal Scots.

Kateme

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2009, 07:47:31 PM »
Hey there Paddy, welcome to the BF!! It's lots of fun and you'll meet people who are the salt of the earth (mostly) :D I came to the US in 1960 when I was 8.  All the best. K

“Government’s first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.”

paddybarr

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2009, 04:18:35 PM »
Hello to all respondents - at home and here in Canada - for your very kind welcome to me with my "Another Emigrant's Story" posted in this Belfast Forum which I am still getting the hang of. What a friendly bunch. I look forward to more chat as I find my way around. Before this, the only Belfast "forum" I had ever been aware of - from long ago days - was the one at the top of the Crumlin road at Ardoyne. I am sure that any of you who may have been picture house addicts (like me) will remember that little jewel. Still wondering of anyone has a real good photo looking south up Cromac Street from Cromac Square or the opposite perspective, looking north down the street from the corner of Ormeau Avenue ('50's and '60's era - before the "makeover")?
Paddybarr
Barrack Street Boy