Author Topic: Johnston Family 35 Cumberland Street Belfast  (Read 2019 times)

brunosean

Johnston Family 35 Cumberland Street Belfast
« on: August 27, 2009, 03:12:22 PM »
Hello ,
Would appreciate any info. on the descendants of the Johnston Family of 35 Cumberland Street.
William and Mary Johnston were the parents and were ther in 1911 census time .
They had a daughter[ Sarah Ellen who died in 1921 in a tragic accident at Crosby Street]
2 of their sons, William and John were killed in WW1 ..one at Gallipoli, one in Belgium. One of them at least is commemorated on the memorial plaque in the Shankill mission. All help appreciated.

ned

Re: Johnston Family 35 Cumberland Street Belfast
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 04:19:31 PM »
Hi

If i could give you a small tip you would need to give a bit more info on the people you are looking for. For instance you say one of the men you are looking for is on a plaque, it would be a lot easier to get the details from the plaque and pass them on to be checked out.

But I found these bits of info for you.

Pte John Johnston 1st Batt Royal Irish Fusiliers 3596 age 22 died 21-8-1915
Mother and Father Mary and William Johston 35 Cumberland St Belfast.
Helles Memorial Turkey (no body found this means)

As for William you would need to find more info on him if he is the one on the plaque as there are too many William Johnston's with no addresses to their names. on CWGC site.

in 1965 a Mrs Rachel Johnston Grocer 42 Cumberland St only one I found

Ned :)
Be careful out there folks because they aren't.

brunosean

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 06:46:18 PM »
Hi Ned,
Thanks once again for info and the tip...I am new to this.
Yes the info you have given matches what I have , but has more detail, so I am delighted with what you have given to me. Really great :)

melv

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009, 05:33:26 AM »
hi, i see there where five johnstons who signed the covenant, ALEXANDER,ANNIE,JOHN, MAY,AND SARAH E.

also a JAS JOHNSTON (CARPENTER) LIVING THERE 1907/1908, AND WILLIAM JOHNSTON (TAILOR) THERE 1910.

your johnstons would have been neighbours to my g/grandparents,ABRAHAM AND CHARLOTTE BELL who lived next door at number 33,  they also lossed a son WILLIAM BELL R.I.R 8/06/1916, no doubt them young fellas would have been good friends.     sam.
C.O.Y.S.

brunosean

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2009, 08:34:41 PM »
Hi Sam,
Thanks a lot for your return mail.....much appreciated ...as its been a long time and at least 2 generations since the Johnstons were there in cumberland st.
Yes I saw your family mentioned in a few dispatches on the web.
I think there is a photo of your grand father in the pics section??
It seems that there was always a bit of sadness around that area...although my Aunt who is 92, in Toronto, remembers Crosby, Wigton, Cumberland and Percy streets like the back of her hand, as a great place..and my Dad took us there ..[.from the south] in the 60's ..until the troubles. I loved the place.
Actually, 3 of our family died in the Greast war... all from the Shankill.
Went there recently and got some nice photos for my Aunt in Canada

thanks so much for your mail....and maybe next time I am up there we can meet for  a chat..
Thamks.Bruno.

brunosean

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2009, 08:41:57 PM »
Ned / Sam
Just got good lead on William Johnston..thanks to  the help of you both...Bruno

melv

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2009, 11:21:49 PM »
hi, i see there where five johnstons who signed the covenant, ALEXANDER,ANNIE,JOHN, MAY,AND SARAH E.

also a JAS JOHNSTON (CARPENTER) LIVING THERE 1907/1908, AND WILLIAM JOHNSTON (TAILOR) THERE 1910.

your johnstons would have been neighbours to my g/grandparents,ABRAHAM AND CHARLOTTE BELL who lived next door at number 33,  they also lossed a son WILLIAM BELL R.I.R 8/06/1916, no doubt them young fellas would have been good friends.     sam.

look forward to that bruno O0 sam.
C.O.Y.S.

Bell18

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2018, 02:33:07 PM »
Hi folks I hope you may see this. Well I'm Graham bell I've just joined this. We'll after reading your discussion I've since found out that my nannda or grandfather is William bell his father was Abraham who is buried at Belfast city cemetery. Indeed they lived and grew up at 33 Cumberland Street. In the past hour I've descovered my great great grandfather signed the Ulster convedent. My grandfather was a sibling of 9 sadly theirs only him and his brother Harry bell left. I'm trying to trace back my roots it's hard to obtain them with so little information. I hope someone will see this  ;)

Geraldine1234

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2019, 03:13:55 PM »
Hi know this is an old thread but am a complete novice to all this lol.  Abraham Bell who lived in 33 Cumberland Street was my great great Granda.  My maternal grandfather was Abraham Bell and my grandmother was Agnes Bell (nee Rodgers) My mum was Maureen Bell and she married Gerry Quinn. Would love to hear from anyone connected.