Author Topic: Belfast Linen Mills  (Read 101858 times)

Keith Campbell

Re: Belfast Linen Mills
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2007, 06:07:39 PM »
Keith

Ewarts on the Crumlin Road was a Linen Mill

see link below which gives a brief history of the Ewart family in Belfast.

www.belfastcity.gov.uk/parksandopenspaces/parkshistory.asp?id=16

pentio

Thanks for that very useful
today started like any other but then  ...

Christopher

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2007, 09:53:13 PM »
There are members of the Ewart family buried in the Clifton Street Burying Ground.
Sir William Ewart who died in 1889 lived at Glenmachan House, Strandtown.

patmon

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2007, 02:58:56 PM »
I have seen the previous post of mills on the Springfield Road, but which one was Elliots?  and does anyone know the history  of Elliots?
Many Thanks
Pat :)
Canavan McCrea Cragg McKenna McDowell Darcy Ferris Connor Quinn Steele

Christopher

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2007, 05:22:09 PM »
Hello Pat,

In the 1890 directory J. Elliott & Co. are listed in the Professions and Trades section ..

Their office was at 2, Bedford Street. 

Christopher

jd

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2007, 02:19:20 PM »
Elliott's Factory stood at the corner of Springfield Road and Springfield Avenue on the country side.  Springfield Avenue was called Elliott's Row before 1901.  My grandmother and my mother worked in Elliott's for many years.  Grandmother made the cloth for the airplane wings during the first world war.

regal

Elliott's factory.
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2007, 04:25:33 PM »
The next time that  am at the P.R.O. I will check if there is anything on Elliott's Factory.

patmon

« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2007, 11:02:02 PM »
Thanks Regal, any information much appreciated.My great grandmother worked there, she was a linen weaver. ;D
Canavan McCrea Cragg McKenna McDowell Darcy Ferris Connor Quinn Steele

Christopher

« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2007, 02:00:50 PM »
Linen Manufacturing has been an important industry in Northern Ireland for over three hundred years. The linen barons made fortunes in the 18th and 19th centuries. Many built houses near their factories so their workers wouldn't have to travel too far. The figures of those employed in the industry dropped drastically during the twentieth century as man made fibres became popular and textiles manufactured overseas were imported and sold very cheaply. In the 1920s there were almost one million spindles and 37,000 looms, with over 70,000 directly employed, representing 40% of the registered working population, with closer to 100,000 people dependant on the linen industry. Today there are only about ten large companies employing around 4,000 people at the most.

Sean T Traynor

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2008, 11:06:01 PM »
How about Barbers or Barbours Mill, may have been around York Road and been owned by Jennymount. Is this the reason there was a Barbers/Babours Street, Looking for info on a James (Honey) McMaster.
Traynor/Trainor, McDade/Daid of Carnsampson, Kirkwood of Portglenone, Nummey & McKee of The Commons, Newry.  McKee & Warnock of Armaghbrague, Jemphrey

giannineo

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2008, 11:25:47 PM »
Sean, Barbours Linen thread had a big  mill out by Lisburn...I have a beautiful poster of an old tailor sewing a wee lad's breeks with Barbours Linen thread...I have it framed...given to me 35 years ago by a Barbours employee.

cathy bell

« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2008, 02:08:56 AM »
There were 3 mills in Ligoniel Village, Wolfhill Mill at the top of the village, Ewarts Mill in the middle and the 3rd at the bottom, I cant' remember the name of th 3rd,
As far as I know the village houses were built for the mill workers.
My Granny, my mother & my aunt worked in Ewarts, they were all spinners. My mother worked at Ewarts till 1957. I remember each spring the workers could buy finished linen material, my mother would buy the material and have my summer dresses made.
A few of my school friends worked in the mills in Ligoniel untill the mills closed, not sure what years they all closed.
I played in Glenbank Park and its still there.
Cathy

cathy bell

« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2008, 01:18:09 AM »
Christopher,
Are there any linen mills in Belfast now? or have they all closed.

Cathy

Christopher

« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2008, 02:42:13 AM »
Hi Cathy,

Belfast's industrial revolution is over as far as linen, ropemaking and shipbuilding is concerned. The mills, like the ballrooms, have all closed down. The new industries include IT, music, service and travel. It will be interesting to see what business people, entrepreneurs and industrialists appear on the new site Forum-Ni which has been created to bring local business people together. I've a hunch most of the members will be owners of small businesses.

Christopher

MOONDOG

« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2008, 08:22:40 PM »
ma    worked     in  york street  mill   one  day   at school one  day at  work  . also  upper cogry   on  shore   also  jenny mount   on    york  road.we lived  in  the  shadow  of  york st  mill.

udini

« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2008, 04:03:16 AM »
There were 3 mills in Ligoniel Village, Wolfhill Mill at the top of the village, Ewarts Mill in the middle and the 3rd at the bottom, I cant' remember the name of th 3rd,
As far as I know the village houses were built for the mill workers.
My Granny, my mother & my aunt worked in Ewarts, they were all spinners. My mother worked at Ewarts till 1957. I remember each spring the workers could buy finished linen material, my mother would buy the material and have my summer dresses made.
A few of my school friends worked in the mills in Ligoniel untill the mills closed, not sure what years they all closed.
I played in Glenbank Park and its still there.
Cathy
Cathy,
I too used to play in Glenbank Park. Both my parents worked in Glenbank Mill and we used to live in one of the companies houses down Harmony.
Who,what, where,when and why,I think that says it all.