Author Topic: Belfast Linen Mills  (Read 101676 times)

cathy bell

Re: Belfast Linen Mills
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2008, 12:31:31 AM »
Hi Udini,
Manys a day we spent in Glenbank Park in the late 40s & 50s. I dont' know how old you are but were the boats still in the playground?. We sure got our exerzise pumping those boats up in the air. We were always getting chased out by the wee man that took care of the park, we were a real pain in the ass to him.
I still remember the beautiful flowers that grew there. When I was back in Ligoniel last year for a visit the park was still there, didnt' get a chance to go into it, if its still ther next year when I go back I will be checking it out. The name of the 3rd mill was Glenbank. Where exactly was Harmony ??. Ive been away for over 50 years, the old memory aint' what it used to be.

Cathy

lizbrennan

« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2008, 11:26:33 PM »
 . and there was also the darners, we had to repair the faults in the cloth after it came off the looms ,it would not have been allowed to leave the factory unless it was perfect.  so i think i had a very important job when i was only 15 years old  

marlyne

« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2008, 10:03:36 PM »
Hi
Was there a mill on the Beersbridge road
does anyone know?? And what did they manufacture?
My husbands granny worked in one in 1911

BLOOMFIELD

« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2008, 10:18:14 PM »
Owen O'CORK mill ??
The Bible would be more believable had Hemingway written it.  He was a master at making fiction seem real.

bnf

« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2008, 12:45:31 AM »
the belfast flax and jute company ltd were in
owen o'cork mill on the beersbridge road,
opposite the greenville road in 1910.
still an impressive sight when viewed from
connswater.
bnf.
" The Fox knows many things,
    but the Hedgehog knows one big thing. "
    ARCHILOCHUS.

Tommy Gibb

« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2008, 01:01:25 AM »
Just noticed the thread. i worked for Irwins furniture in Ligoniel for 6 months 1968-69 until thr "troubles" started . Living at Milltown Shawsbridge and travelling through the town was not conduscive to one s health in those days so my grandmother spoke to a friend to see if he could get me a job at John Shaw Browns in Edenderry Shawsbridge and I got the job as an apprentice fitter. I served four years of my time plus 6 months and then went to work as a fitter at RAF Sydenham until it shut down and went back to the mill for a few months before moving on. We had double damask, linen end, tea towels hand painted (Roslyn and I got one as a wedding present 36 years ago and we still have it). I remember  was working on a machine about 30' in the air, sitting on a plank and was about to get up when I hit my knee on a corner of the machine foot, the next thing I knew was being extracted from the harness and being taken to the City hospital for observation overnight. Any they were great years and lots of memories. I have met people here in Vancouver Canada who had relatives who worked there also so it really is a small world.

Liz51

« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2008, 08:12:22 PM »
 just found this thread , my first job was at the blackstaff ,love it . i was put to learn weaving , when they stopped sending you all round the place ,looking for things that did not exist like a bucket off blue steam,and a key for the shuttel great times

BJK

« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2008, 11:24:19 PM »
Hi, has anyone ever heard of Charlton Brothers, they were based in Joy Street, the building is no longer there. The factory produced bed wear, pillow covers etc. my grandmother worked there in the 1940s and probably beyond that. Its a longshot i know, but maybe someone on the Forum will know something.
Cheers
BJK

bnf

« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2008, 01:10:51 AM »
Hi
Was there a mill on the Beersbridge road
does anyone know?? And what did they manufacture?
My husbands granny worked in one in 1911
apart from owen o'cork, ross brothers had a damask factory
behind it, in bloomfield street
bnf.
" The Fox knows many things,
    but the Hedgehog knows one big thing. "
    ARCHILOCHUS.

Herman

« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2008, 07:55:23 PM »
Teap it's such a small world !

"his sisters Maggie Doyle and Lizzie Doyle spinsters,worked in the mill in Conway street 1890s and 1901 census. they lived at 8 Conway Street"

My Grt grandparents and my Gran all worked in Conway Mill plus they lived just a couple of doors up from your relatives ie Number 18 Conway Street.

Amazing where you pick up new info.  :)

desi

« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2008, 08:13:59 PM »
MY FIRST JOB WAS IN THE BLACKSTAFF MILL SPRINGFIELD ROAD, I LEFT AND WENT ROSS MILL SEBASTOPOL ST FALLS ROAD.
JUSTICE FOR THE BALLYMURPHY 11.

SHEEHAN

« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2008, 09:25:50 PM »
HELLO ALL THIS SITE HAS BEEN RECOMENNEDED TO ME  SO HERE I AM AND I LOVE THIS THREAD ,
I WORKED IN EWARTS MILL  FROM 1952 AGED 14 TIL 1955 THEN GALAGHERS TILL 1957

TOUGH HARD WORK BUT I RECALL EVERY MOMENT WITH GREAT FONDNESS AND ALL THOSE I WORKED WITH . HOPING MAYBE I,LL MEET SOME OF THEM ON HERE

jp08

« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2008, 12:43:12 AM »
A G-Grandfather of mine worked for Ewarts between the Wars. He lost the use of an arm (apparently in a mill accident) and then was given other duties, like clerical work and debt collection!

james sinclair

« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2008, 03:25:25 AM »
  what about the linen mills over in ballymacarrot
   my wife worked there also some of her sisters
   they all came from chamberlain street

ozzy

« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2009, 08:19:10 PM »
mills on falls road were kennedysconway st greeves cooper st there was one faceing albert st any one renenber the name