Author Topic: Lesley Street - Ligoniel  (Read 11071 times)

celticqueen

Lesley Street - Ligoniel
« on: August 31, 2009, 05:56:55 PM »
Hi there all. I'm new to this site - and i hope anyone out there can help.

My Great grandparents lived in lesley street, ligoniel. Does anyone have info on this street?

When was the street bulldozed?

Also is finlay street still about.  My ancestors the "Doyles" lived in these streets.

Plus where can i get any old photo's of the area please?

Many thanks

poogle

Re: Lesley Street - Ligoniel
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 02:11:44 PM »
CQ,
  all my father's side of the family grew up in Ligionel.My Granny lived in Legland St until her death in 1977-her house remained vacant until they demolished the street.Not sure of the exact year but would have been late 70s early 80s.If you look up Lennon Wylie it will give you a site with belfast streets and occupants to 1910.Finlay st shows no Doyle's but Lester st shows a James Doyle who worked as a Hackler(someone who combed flax not a pleasant job).Hopefully,this helps.

celticqueen

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 07:53:54 PM »
thank you for your kind information - really appreciated.

ligonielpat

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 12:40:47 AM »
Hi
I was born in Finlay St, I knew the Doyles They lived in number 1, also Jim Doyle who grew up in Lesley st still lives in ligoniel. The ligoniel Wolfhill centre has a local history group and a number of publications have been produced. Sadly Ligoniel is no longer the village I grew up in My Family left Finlay St and moved to Leganoe St which was a new house built by NIHEx, their next door neighbours who moved from Lesley St at the same time was Mini, with her brothers Billy and Tommy Doyle this was in 1981. They had been the last families to leave finlay and lesley st which was bulldozed soon after. Contact the Wolfhill Centre for old Photos and if you ring the Ligoniel Working Mens Club its a good bet you could catch Jim Doyle, the number is in the book. hope this helps.

Pat

poogle

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2009, 01:44:40 PM »
ligonielpat,
                Did you know any of the Nobles or Pennys ? 

DOFFER

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2009, 02:01:02 PM »
ligonielpat,
                Did you know any of the Nobles or Pennys ? 

hello poogle  didyou know of the tolands & oharas  from finley st  i went to school in wolfhill lived on the ligoniel  rd  happy days long gone when ligoniel was a lovely alltogathervillage  :)
Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning Satan shudders and says 'Oh [censored] shes awake!!'

poogle

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2009, 02:39:15 PM »
Doffer,
        I didn't grow up in the village but my Dad and all his family came from Legland St.They lived there from the 1920s until my Granny's death in the late 1970s.He really hated the way the village changed.My Uncles still talk about it and the fun they had.Like everyone from the village they were poor as church mice but it didn't matter.They really didn't considered themselves from Belfast,they were from the village.Seems like anyone I meet from the old village really loved it;a world onto themselves.The little time I spent in it even had an effect on me and I to miss it.It just had a warm welcoming feel to it.

DOFFER

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2009, 02:56:51 PM »
Doffer,
        I didn't grow up in the village but my Dad and all his family came from Legland St.They lived there from the 1920s until my Granny's death in the late 1970s.He really hated the way the village changed.My Uncles still talk about it and the fun they had.Like everyone from the village they were poor as church mice but it didn't matter.They really didn't considered themselves from Belfast,they were from the village.Seems like anyone I meet from the old village really loved it;a world onto themselves.The little time I spent in it even had an effect on me and I to miss it.It just had a warm welcoming feel to it.
                 poogle i was raised by my grannie in ligoniel  her father my greatgrandad came from legland st i remember seeing him just before he died he lay on bed all white like father christmas well thats who i thought he was ,     your dead right the village was a life of its own we all lived cheek to jowl poor but  happy with each other we all mixed shared our troubles  :) my grannie was catholic  but i was protestant father being one so she respected his wishes ,me being a wee rascal was supposed to be at wolfhill but as my friends went to st Vincents de paul  thats where i could be found most days funny back then no one even my dad batted an eye  so id be at wolfhill some days de pauls other ,&know what i would not have had it any other way  i believe my odd behaviour gave me a good grounding towards all people , broke my heart when my parents eventually  took me to live with them in belfast ,,,,, :(
Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning Satan shudders and says 'Oh [censored] shes awake!!'

poogle

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2009, 04:47:47 PM »
Doffer,
    my Dad  and all his family went to St.Vincents.Your dead on about  religion not been important.My dad's friends some of whom were protestant went to mass.He also told me the 12th was celebrated by all and no signs of hatred were tolerated.in fact he said if outsiders came in trying to cause trouble    the whole village stood as one.My granny's house, which I remember well, was at the corner,it had  a gas street light outside and all the kids would make a rope swing and play on it all day and night.

honestmay

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2009, 10:23:09 PM »
i  knew a thomas doyle from ligoniel a lot of years ago .he chumed with a j.dixon,q,o,hara.p,donnley.davidson .toaland.toals.mc,clean mc,ginty .fenney .was a lot of them hung around togrther and u r rite it didnt matter wat  foot u kicked with oh happy days .xxxxxxxxxxx

gordy

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2009, 03:38:40 PM »
Hi there all. I'm new to this site - and i hope anyone out there can help.

My Great grandparents lived in lesley street, ligoniel. Does anyone have info on this street?

When was the street bulldozed?

Also is finlay street still about.  My ancestors the "Doyles" lived in these streets.

Plus where can i get any old photo's of the area please?

Many thanks

Hi,
There was a wee sweetie shop at "Dickies Corner" owned by a Mr and Mrs Doyle.
It was beside the old school, one street from Lesley street (100yards approx).
I was born in Lesley street in the end house on the left at the bottom in 1947.

manchesterbelfast79

Lesley Street - Ligoniel
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2010, 08:46:33 PM »
this waas posted by 'honestmay' a while back regarding Lesley Street "i  knew a thomas doyle from ligoniel a lot of years ago .he chumed with a j.dixon,q,o,hara.p,donnley.davidson .toaland.toals.mc,clean mc,ginty .fenney .was a lot of them hung around togrther and u r rite it didnt matter wat  foot u kicked with oh happy days .xxxxxxxxxxx"

thomas doyle was my dad. he had 3 brothers patrick, james, joseph and 1 sister sarah. he moved to manchester, settled down with me mam and had me and our kid. some of the other lads mentioned by 'honestmay' have settled in bedfordshire. my dad was a lovely man who unfortunately is now sorely missed by many many people....if you read this honestmay (or any others that may know of my dad &/or his pals) i'd appreciate anything you'd like to share no matter how ropey it is!

DOFFER

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2010, 05:52:43 PM »
this waas posted by 'honestmay' a while back regarding Lesley Street "i  knew a thomas doyle from ligoniel a lot of years ago .he chumed with a j.dixon,q,o,hara.p,donnley.davidson .toaland.toals.mc,clean mc,ginty .fenney .was a lot of them hung around togrther and u r rite it didnt matter wat  foot u kicked with oh happy days .xxxxxxxxxxx"

thomas doyle was my dad. he had 3 brothers patrick, james, joseph and 1 sister sarah. he moved to manchester, settled down with me mam and had me and our kid. some of the other lads mentioned by 'honestmay' have settled in bedfordshire. my dad was a lovely man who unfortunately is now sorely missed by many many people....if you read this honestmay (or any others that may know of my dad &/or his pals) i'd appreciate anything you'd like to share no matter how ropey it is!

hello 79

sorry i dont  recall your father , but quinton o hara  the tolands are all my relatives  :smile:

manchesterbelfast79

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2010, 08:37:03 PM »
Hello Doffer,

My uncle Patrick has just come back back from his 'holiday' to bedforshire to see danny and the 'boys' down luton way. are they the same lads? also, can anyone give any info on my dads mothers family? the morgans. my dad and family lived on Legland rd.

thanks

manchesterbelfast79

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2010, 08:42:54 PM »
i'd also like to know about my dads aunt annie. he worshipped her