Author Topic: Lesley Street - Ligoniel  (Read 11026 times)

manchesterbelfast79

Re: Lesley Street - Ligoniel
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2010, 08:56:36 PM »
legland st sorry

Peg

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2010, 05:37:37 PM »
My name is Peggy (Wallace) Bennett.  I am coming to area in May and hope to find the sight of my families home at 26 Lesley St. Ligoniel, or any information of relatives still living in the area.  My grandfather's name was George Wallace.  I understand he lived here all his life.  He died in 1931 so it is a long time ago.  My father lived at this location until he came to America in 1904.  My aunt Agnes lived with my grandfather until his death.  I have an address for her at 303 Ligoniel Rd during the 60's. My uncle John lived in the area as well as did many cousins.  Any help you can give me would be much appreciated.

wallace 

lambchop

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2011, 09:00:38 PM »
Does anyone remember the Noble's I think they lived in Kathleen Street. They were my great-grandparents Samuel & Isabella Noble, their daugther Sarah was my grandmother she married William John Lambe. I know she had a brother called William. I would be grateful for any information on the Noble family as I am researching my family tree many thanks. :girl_blum:

cathy bell

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2011, 02:37:52 AM »
Hi Peg,
Hope you have a great time on your visit to Ligoniel in May.
When you get up to Ligoniel there is a small store called  ( McIlwaines ) it is on the right hand side going up the Ligoniel Rd, the owner is called Lottie McIlwaine, Iam sure if you mention any names she will know, she has lived in Ligoniel all her life. Her mother and I grew up together in Ligoniel, my name was Bell Donaghy, so just mention my name and I know Lottie will help as much as she can.
I was back in Ligoniel in 2009, even though Ligoniel has been rebuilt there are still a lot of people who have never left. So enjoy, hope your can get the info you need.

Peg

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2011, 01:59:39 PM »
Hi Cathy,

Thanks for writing me.  We will follow your very welcome information when we are there.  I was in Ligoniel and met my cousin's daughter, Elizabeth Hewitt in April of last year. She took me around, showed me the church my family attended and much more.  We hope to find the spot where my grandparents and my father lived on Lesley St. and also the place where my family is buried.  Any and all information we can find would be more than welcome.  I am very excited to hear from you and to have a place to start looking.  Again thankyou so very much.

Peg Bennett

cathy bell

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2011, 12:36:39 AM »
Hi Peg,
You can also stop into the Wolfhill Centre, it is on Ligoniel Rd on the left hand side facing St Vincent DePaul church. They may have info in regards to Lesley St. I stopped in there when I was home 2009, they were very helpful. They also made copys of 2 publications on a history of Ligoniel, they were just wonderful reading about the history and the people of Ligoniel. If you cannot get them, let me know and I will make copys of mine for you.
Take Care
Cathy

Peg

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2011, 01:55:37 PM »
Hi Cathy.  I knew that Lesley St. was in the Wolfhill district as the 1911 census had it recorded there and also the baptism records of my Da and all his siblings.  That is way up the Ligoniel Rd. isn't it?, so should have some information   I know everything is changed now but I really want to see it and feel my da, or something of him being there.  I will be 80 this August so I don't know how many more times i will get over.  it seems all my relatives are pretty much gone now, which makes it harder to find things.  My cousin's daughter doesn't seem to know much either.  She still lives off the Crumlin Rd. in her parent's house.

Thanks again for you help!  I will certainly stop at the Wolfhill Centre.

Peggy

cathy bell

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2011, 01:57:45 AM »
Hi Peg,
I sent you a PM, let me know if you got it.
Cathy

david867

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2011, 09:02:44 PM »
Hi Peggy

My name is David Wallace living in North Belfast and i have been traceing my family tree for over five years. George Wallace your grandfather i believe was the brother of my great grandfather Samuel Wallace. Your Great Grandfather and my G G Grandfather was called David wallace who died 29th July1893 he was married to Agnes who died 24th July 1893 only a week apart. They did not live in Ligoniel like most of the sons and daughers but not that far away in North Belfast. I am still tracing the family tree and have got back to 1791 with the Wallace,s but i know they go much further back. I hope this helps you in some way

Yours David Wallace

Peg

« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2011, 12:54:31 PM »
Thank you so much David.  Do you know Agnes's maiden name?  I would love to have any information that you can share with me.  My da would have known his grandparent's I am sure, as he was 9 years old when they both died. 

I am looking for any members of the McKee family as well who lived in Ligoniel.

Really looking forward to hearing from you again!

All the best,

Peggy

Ph1lomena

« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2012, 03:48:07 PM »
My grandmother was Margaret McKee of Ligoneil, who had a brother called Matt and another called Harry, her sister Minnie's married name was Toland and Minnie had a daughter called Lindsey Toland.  I believe my grandmother's father had a shrapnel injury from the First World War.  My grandmother married Bernard O'Brien and they lived on Legburn Street with their daughters.  Does anyone else remember Margaret McKee my grandmother?  I do have some questions of my own about our family history.

Peg

« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2012, 06:39:17 PM »
Hi Philomena,

My grandmother was also named Margaret McKee.  She was married to George Wallace and lived according to the 1911 census, at 1 Lesley St.  All that I know of her family is that her father was named Thomas and she had a sister named Eliza Jane.  My father was Thomas McKee Wallace.

Peggy

kglack43

« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2012, 05:42:09 AM »
Hello to all. I am Philomena's cousin. We share the same Grandmother, Margret McKee, but not the same Grand Dad... My mother, Mary Elizabeth McKee was born in 1919 to Margret McKee who was not allowed to marry the father of my Mother. He was a protestant and she was Catholic. Margret had five girls. My mother and her four half-sisters, Philomena, Sara, Henrietta and Chrystobel McKee. When Margret married Bernard O'Brien my mother was sent away to live with her cousin Lindsey and aunt Minnie. Mom joined the WAC for the RAF and served in  London and Germany where she met my Dad. They married in 1947. The five sisters were known as the Ligoniel Five. Any info on my family would be greatly appreciated.  I will one day visit and bring my children... cheers to all.

Kevin Glackmeyer
Montgomery, Alabama
USA

wilfin

« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2014, 06:39:13 AM »
does anyone have any info on the finlay the street was named after?
william

DOFFER

« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2014, 04:19:21 PM »
Hi there all. I'm new to this site - and i hope anyone out there can help.

My Great grandparents lived in lesley street, ligoniel. Does anyone have info on this street?

When was the street bulldozed?

Also is finlay street still about.  My ancestors the "Doyles" lived in these streets.

Plus where can i get any old photo's of the area please?

Many thanks

hi there just found this photo hope you like it ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning Satan shudders and says 'Oh [censored] shes awake!!'