Author Topic: Pub Quizes  (Read 11138 times)

Christopher

Pub Quizes
« on: June 08, 2006, 05:47:19 PM »
Does anyone enjoy a pub quiz? They usually require a team of four people. Would there possibly be another three people on the Forum who would like to go to a pub quiz. The Rotterdam Bar in Pilot Street have a Monday night quiz .. do any other pubs in Belfast have a quiz? If they do which pub would be preferable?

Christopher

EllCee

Re: Pub Quizes
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2006, 10:07:47 PM »
"Bob Stewart's" at Ballyskeagh have, or used to have, a Quiz on a Wednesday evenings.
"I may not agree with you, but I respect your opinion"   "You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it"

heather1

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2006, 08:05:56 AM »
The Honey Club on the Antrim Road used to have them.  I'm not sure if they still do.  Also, I 'think' the Crown & Shamrock  on the Antrim Line have them now and again.

Christopher

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2006, 08:13:04 AM »
The Primrose in Ballynahinch have a quiz on a Monday night but I am more interested in pubs in the Belfast area. The Honey Club? That is a new one to me .. tell us more about that one. Has it been there a long time? There used to be a beautiful pub near Ballyskeagh .. I cannot remember the name .. I think it has been knocked down and an apartment was going to be built on the site. Is there a pub in East Belfast which has a quiz?

heather1

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2006, 08:14:41 AM »
The Primrose in Ballynahinch have a quiz on a Monday night but I am more interested in pubs in the Belfast area. The Honey Club? That is a new one to me .. tell us more about that one. Has it been there a long time? There used to be a beautiful pub near Ballyskeagh .. I cannot remember the name .. I think it has been knocked down and an apartment was going to be built on the site. Is there a pub in East Belfast which has a quiz?

The Honey Club is what used to be the Shaftesbury Inn on the Antrim Road.

Christopher

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2006, 08:23:49 AM »
Is that on the left hand side or right hand side going out of town Heather? Does it stand fairly far back from the road? A guy called Pimley either owned or managed a hotel on the Antrim Road... that was the late fifties or early sixties so he probably sold the place long ago. Is there a hotel on the Antrim Road belonging to a Chinese family?

heather1

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2006, 08:28:31 AM »
Is that on the left hand side or right hand side going out of town Heather? Does it stand fairly far back from the road? A guy called Pimley either owned or managed a hotel on the Antrim Road... that was the late fifties or early sixties so he probably sold the place long ago. Is there a hotel on the Antrim Road belonging to a Chinese family?

It's on the right hand side going out of town.  It sits right on the road though, not far back. 

The Hotel owned by a Chinese family. .I think it was the Ambassador Hotel.  It is now a Nursing Home owned by Sean Macklin who owns quite a few nursing homes.

Christopher

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2006, 08:47:50 AM »
I'm trying to get my bearings Heather. Is there a block of shops directly opposite the Shaftesbury Inn .. Gray's Lane which runs from the Antrim Road to the Shore Road is fairly close?

heather1

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2006, 08:53:54 AM »
I'm trying to get my bearings Heather. Is there a block of shops directly opposite the Shaftesbury Inn .. Gray's Lane which runs from the Antrim Road to the Shore Road is fairly close?

Yes, thats the one.  There is a row of shops/offices with a restaurant (La Cuisine) on the ground floor and a couple of hairdressers and an off licence.  I used to work in the offices above La Cuisine.  Gray's Lane is about 200 yards from there (going out of town) with Guy's shop at the top of it.

Christopher

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2006, 09:06:22 AM »
Thanks Heather. There used to be a large pub at the Shore Road end of Gray's Lane. I cannot remember the name of the place. It was on the right hand side as you came down from the Antrim Road. I think it was destroyed in a fire. I have a notion I saw an early 20th century or a late 19th century picture of the place on the net. It was a popular place in those days but its name may have changed many times over a hundred years.

heather1

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2006, 09:19:48 AM »
Thanks Heather. There used to be a large pub at the Shore Road end of Gray's Lane. I cannot remember the name of the place. It was on the right hand side as you came down from the Antrim Road. I think it was destroyed in a fire. I have a notion I saw an early 20th century or a late 19th century picture of the place on the net. It was a popular place in those days but its name may have changed many times over a hundred years.

That was the Tudor Lodge.  It was destroyed in a fire around 8/9 years ago.

Christopher

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2006, 09:42:18 AM »
That's the very place Heather. Is there still an empty space there? I wonder what it was called at the beginning of the century? I am almost sure people, about 100 years ago used to travel there in long cars on a Sunday. Some people may not know the expression "long car" .. it was a wagon drawn by horses.

I wonder if there is a local history group in that part of the city? I know there is one in Sailortown and there is one in East Belfast. I find the history of Old Belfast and the Greater Belfast area is fascinating. We need a lot more memories on the boards of Belfast Forum. It seems to me that there are not too many people in my age group on the net. They are there on some of the genealogy sites. Whenever I go into libraries to use computers there most of them are being used by young people and the situation is the same in the internet cafes.

I apologise for diversifying from the subject of "Pub Quizes" I feel we should draft a small poster which could be left in places such as libraries ... possibly shops and pubs too telling people about Belfast Forum ... explaining we are seeking people who have memories which could be posted on the boards here. 

heather1

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2006, 09:48:21 AM »
The burnt out shell is still there.  It has had a 'SOLD' sign on it for around 5/6 years or so but so far nothing has been done about the site for re-development.

EllCee

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2006, 10:19:28 AM »
There used to be a beautiful pub near Ballyskeagh .. I cannot remember the name .. I think it has been knocked down and an apartment was going to be built on the site.

At the crossroads near Ballyaughlis, on the main Hillhall Road, there used to be "The Deerstalker" pub and restaurant, also known as Hunter's.  It was demolished last year and is now an apartment block.

"Bob Stewart's" pub is past the church at Drumbo on the way to Lambeg from Upper Malone.
"I may not agree with you, but I respect your opinion"   "You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it"

Christopher

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2006, 10:26:26 AM »
Thanks Les.

It is a crying shame that the place Heather mentioned to me, the Tudor Lodge on the Shore Road, has not been razed to the ground. It is an utter disgrace that such an eyesore is allowed to remain standing.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy