Author Topic: Kellys Coal Boats  (Read 88298 times)

Twocoats

Kellys Coal Boats
« on: February 21, 2007, 12:28:37 AM »
Anyone remember Kellys Coal boats coming up the lough or into Belfast at the Coal Quay. Here's one for starters. This is the Ballykelly. Coats

Twocoats

Re: Kellys Coal Boats
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2007, 12:29:47 AM »
Obviously this is not Belfast. She is sailing down the Mersay going to Belfast. Coats

Bogeyman

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 12:33:46 AM »
There used to be coal offloaded at a coalyard in Whiteabbey. There was a pier there remains of which are still there today.
most of the coal was used in the linen industry which was prolific along the shore road and Whiteabbey.
I think that coal was also dumped at sea into concrete bunkers just oof shore and then collected by donkey when the tide went out
If it was'nt for venetian blinds it would be curtains for everybody!

Twocoats

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2007, 12:35:59 AM »
Could be. Hre is the smallest Kelly Coalboat which maybe could get into Whiteabbey. Coats

EllCee

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2007, 12:47:23 AM »
I remember them offloading at Bangor.

I also know one of their Captains.  Last I heard, he was a travel courier, going to  France/Spain/Portugal.
"I may not agree with you, but I respect your opinion"   "You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it"

giannineo

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2007, 01:04:32 AM »
Aye, I spent most of my young summers around Donaghadee and Ballyvester.My aunt would always point out Kelly's coalboats and the Preston Ferry which would pass thereabouts at lunchtime.
      Did the Kelly's boats have a red/black/white hooped funnel or is that my memory playing tricks?

EllCee

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2007, 01:08:27 AM »
G, Ballywalter used to be a busy coal port too, and Ballyhalbert.

"I may not agree with you, but I respect your opinion"   "You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it"

giannineo

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2007, 01:22:15 AM »
Cheers Les,I seem to remember a quay at Bangor where the coal boats docked.I did the Bangor Walk one year and am fairly sure the walk finished on that quay.
      Loved the Dee.  The Brothers boat(Nelsons), the Miss Dorothy(Simpsons), the Miss Laura. .deep sea in the morning and stream fishing at night.
     If you ever manage to view the Official Report on the sinking of the Victoria it is fascinating.

Twocoats

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2007, 01:55:56 AM »
Hi there. Glad you like the Kelly coalboat topic. As you may or may not know I spent a lot of time deepsea rising to the rank of Master. My mum asked my Uncle who was a skipper with Kelly's to take me a way for a while when I was 11  to put me off the notion. Apparently all I ever wanted to be was a sailor. I was born in Glenarm so had the sea in my blood. I spent 3 weeks sailing around the Irish sea in mid winter but it didn't put me off. Coats

pentio

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2007, 02:02:58 AM »
Twocoats

Great photos of the Kelly coalboats. I have a lovely framed print by Frank McKelvey showing a Kelly coalboat sailing up Belfast Lough with Carrickfergus Castle in the background. I was given it as a birthday present a few years ago.

Twocoats

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2007, 03:18:28 AM »
Hi P. Is it a watercolour. Do you know the name of the ship. Kellys is special in my Family. Most of my uncles served with them at one time or another. My Grandfather was killed during the 2nd World war on the Kelly ship the "Castlehill". If you could scan the painting it would be nice to have. I would give you my email address so you could send it full size. I have old black and white photos of most of the ships. It would be interesting for you to see an actual photo of the ship you have the photo off.

pentio

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2007, 01:03:54 PM »
Twocoats

It is a watercolour unfortunately i have no idea what the name of the ship is. Let me have your e mail address and i will send you a copy of it. I would love to see the actual photo of the ship.

Twocoats

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2007, 12:22:23 AM »
Title: Ballyedward at Carrickfergus - Artist: Frank McKelvey

Description: At Carrickfergus Castle - 552 Tons - Built 1950 - Scraped 1974
Print size: 54.7 cm wide by 44.5 cm high  .

I don't have an original photo but your ship is the Ballyedward and here are the details. Coats

Twocoats

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2007, 12:23:25 AM »
Title: Ballyedward at Carrickfergus - Artist: Frank McKelvey

Description: At Carrickfergus Castle - 552 Tons - Built 1950 - Scraped 1974
Print size: 54.7 cm wide by 44.5 cm high  .

I don't have an original photo but your ship is the Ballyedward and here are the details. Coats
Oops. was a little too fast. Here we go again

pentio

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2007, 02:08:13 AM »
Twocoats

Thanks for the information on the ship much appreciated.