Author Topic: Kellys Coal Boats  (Read 88240 times)

Twocoats

Re: Kellys Coal Boats
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2007, 07:05:22 AM »
 ;D

Twocoats

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2007, 08:16:53 PM »
Almost a hero

ulsterstan

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2007, 03:32:10 AM »
Speaking of COAL anyone remember wee Sammy Spence  and the Coalmen,,s testamony band  , used to walk ahead of the parades on the 12th.
Stan Sloan.

irish dance

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2009, 09:22:55 PM »
Just found this thread.  It brings back memories of my Father who was the Captain of the boat that brought the coal lighters up the Lagan to the Gas Works, I have letters addressed to him from Kelly's.  He worked different times of the day and night, I think the tide dictated when he worked.  From memory I think all of the Kelly boats names started with Bally as in Ballylongford etc.,  I remember him listening to the radio, Trawler Wave Band I think, for any information on Kelly's
boats.  Lovely to see the pictures of the boats and thanks for the memories.

twocoats

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2009, 09:37:56 PM »
Here you go Irish Dance.  Click on the link and enjoy.  TC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WWLwxrt8n4
Homophobia, racism, sexism, bigotry and sectarianism is still alive..

irish dance

« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2009, 12:07:13 AM »
Here you go Irish Dance.  Click on the link and enjoy.  TC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WWLwxrt8n4
Hi TC
Thank you so much - love to see anything about Belfast Docks as I do not live there anymore the longer I'm away the more homesick I seem to get.

Christopher

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2009, 12:17:08 AM »
David Kerr's site mentions that there are still prints available of oil paintings that Kellys commissioned of most of their former vessels.  If you or a relative ever sailed on the Ballyduff, the Ballykern or any other Kelly boat you’ve a good chance of getting one of these prints.  Check out the picture gallery on the company’s website www.kellyshipping.com or drop into their offices in Lombard Street the next time you’re in Belfast. www.thecarrick.biz/kerrscorner/2008/10/king-coal-gone.html

irish dance

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2009, 12:36:03 AM »
David Kerr's site mentions that there are still prints available of oil paintings that Kelly's commissioned of most of their former vessels.  If you or a relative ever sailed on the Ballyduff, the Ballykern or any other Kelly boat you’ve a good chance of getting one of these prints.  Check out the picture gallery on the company’s website www.kellyshipping.com or drop into their offices in Lombard Street the next time you’re in Belfast. www.thecarrick.biz/kerrscorner/2008/10/king-coal-gone.html
Thanks Christopher for the information - e-mailed them and asked if they might have some old photographs of my Father.

IRISHDIVA

« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2009, 03:09:48 PM »
Speaking of COAL anyone remember wee Sammy Spence  and the Coalmen,,s testamony band  , used to walk ahead of the parades on the 12th.

Sammy Spence's nick name was "Dodger" Spence, My Grandfather David (Davy) Stewart along with his brothers Andy & Willie and a few others like Sammy helped start the Coal Men's Mission. It was down the side of the Queens Bridge. They all worked at the coal docks and later had there own horse's & carts and then lorry's and delivered coal around the South Belfast area.I have an old photo of the men of the Coal Men's Mission and I will post it later.
You will never know where you are going.
If you do not remember where you come from.

TIMELOAD

« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2009, 11:57:29 AM »
My grandfather worked for Kellys. He worked for them many years. The last boat he was on, Ballylongford. I also worked on it, during my sommer holidays.
How great was that!

frankmk

« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2011, 09:18:50 PM »
I see the newest posts on Kellys coal boats are old now but I just found this topic after many visits to this forum, never thinking to look for it. My grandfather served as skipper on the "Helen Craig". I remember he had a picture of her but it's long gone now. I just wondered if anybody had a photo of here or her sister ships.

twocoats

« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2011, 10:29:35 PM »
I see the newest posts on Kellys coal boats are old now but I just found this topic after many visits to this forum, never thinking to look for it. My grandfather served as skipper on the "Helen Craig". I remember he had a picture of her but it's long gone now. I just wondered if anybody had a photo of here or her sister ships.

Hi There. I am away from home at the moment but when I get back on Sunday I will look up and see if I can find the Helen Craig for you...TC

pentio

« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2011, 12:13:13 AM »

Hi frankmk

A very warm welcome to the Belfast Forum, hope you enjoy the site.

I found these photographs of the Helen Craig for you, photographs and information courtesy of Preston Digital Archive, Flickr photo sharing.

Thank you Wendy for giving me permission to share the photographs on the Forum.

This boat sailed twice a week between Preston and Belfast for over 50 years. She was known by countless dockers as 'Th'owd bo'oan bo'at' as she often carried a stinking mass of animal bones from the Belfast abattoirs to the port.

It was often said you could tell when she was in dock due to the vast flocks of seagulls and other birds hovering nearby hoping to feed off the maggots and other detritus from the rotting cargo.

The Helen Craig was built in Belfast in 1891 and was for many years under the command of Captain Kennedy.

SS Helen Craig Entering Preston Docks

S.S. Helen Craig leaving Preston Dock in 1959 on her last voyage from the port.

Preston Docks 1950

twocoats

« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2011, 12:58:52 AM »
Nice photos Pentio.  ;)

pajamo46

« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2011, 01:58:18 AM »
Anyone ever hear the old belfast saying "up the lagan on a kellys coal boat"
I heard it many times, but cant relate to what it actually meant. Anyone know what it referred to?