Author Topic: where was your first job?  (Read 19659 times)

c.rita

Re: where was your first job?
« Reply #150 on: November 05, 2010, 09:28:50 PM »
for those who can still remember wearing nylons, my 1st job was mending the runs and ladders in ladies stockings (Honest ! ) I wish I could remember the name , but it was a wee  shop down town Belfast, went from there to photo processing, where I trimmed and scalloped the edges of photographs, fun jobs, lol. .

teragram

« Reply #151 on: November 05, 2010, 09:40:05 PM »
i remember mcmurrys well  bought two cotton polo neck pullovers when they were in style. my ma  used to take us there in the early 60s to git `riggedout`.

McMurrays also had a shop in Great Victoria St. They had a permanent banner in the window which said "Last Week Of Sale"
If you don't do it you won't get caught.

Astor

« Reply #152 on: November 05, 2010, 11:34:27 PM »
I met Andy and Mickey from there.

I can't recall anyone named Andy when I worked there Ellcee but there was a Mick McKegney or is it spelt with a C :scratch_ones_head:    Is that the Mick you mean?
Que Sera Sera

EllCee

« Reply #153 on: November 05, 2010, 11:57:33 PM »
I can't recall anyone named Andy when I worked there Ellcee but there was a Mick McKegney or is it spelt with a C :scratch_ones_head:    Is that the Mick you mean?

I don't know/remember the surnames.  I was young/ish and would have gone in with my father

Mickey had reddish hair, was quite thin.  Usually wore a suit, any time I saw him.

"I may not agree with you, but I respect your opinion"   "You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it"

Astor

« Reply #154 on: November 06, 2010, 12:02:51 AM »
Yep, that was Mickey :smile:    Such a long time ago its scary :swoon:
Que Sera Sera

four-stroke

« Reply #155 on: November 06, 2010, 08:43:52 PM »
Harry Ferguson tractor stores Alfred Street 1959. It lasted two days until a 'proper' job came up.

cyprusrose

« Reply #156 on: November 06, 2010, 09:38:12 PM »
spud fields, then 1967 ross,s mill doffer

DOFFER

« Reply #157 on: November 10, 2010, 11:31:19 PM »
for those who can still remember wearing nylons, my 1st job was mending the runs and ladders in ladies stockings (Honest ! ) I wish I could remember the name , but it was a wee  shop down town Belfast, went from there to photo processing, where I trimmed and scalloped the edges of photographs, fun jobs, lol. .

HELLO RITA  WOULD THE WEE SHOP BE CALLED  EVES HATSHOP ,,,,,,LOWER END SHANKILL /NORTH ST ,
Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning Satan shudders and says 'Oh [censored] shes awake!!'

c.rita

« Reply #158 on: November 11, 2010, 01:34:47 AM »
I'm trying to shake up my brain, but for the life of me, I cant remember the name, that area sounds right. It was a very pokey wee place..I remember that hats and purses were sold as well as the nylon repairs. You had to pay so much per ladder.. lol..

HELLO RITA  WOULD THE WEE SHOP BE CALLED  EVES HATSHOP ,,,,,,LOWER END SHANKILL /NORTH ST ,

buttercup

« Reply #159 on: November 11, 2010, 07:42:11 PM »
Used to buy my nylons in Dozy-Joes Chapel Lane .!!!

mrs mourinho

« Reply #160 on: November 11, 2010, 08:45:54 PM »
milford stitching factory sydney st west  :scratch_ones_head:
always look on the bright side of life

floral

« Reply #161 on: November 12, 2010, 09:54:32 AM »
Used to buy my nylons in Dozy-Joes Chapel Lane .!!!

Buttercup you have made my day I could not for the life of me remember the name of the shop in Chapel Lane where we used to buy the nylons.

McNamee

« Reply #162 on: November 12, 2010, 10:37:56 AM »
Floral,  Where we used to buy our American Tan Nylons.     :smile:

floral

« Reply #163 on: November 12, 2010, 01:48:02 PM »
Floral,  Where we used to buy our American Tan Nylons.     :smile:

Oh goodness American Tan nylons - I remember putting clear nail polish on the ladders. Memories, have a good weekend Berniexx

Broadbentborn

« Reply #164 on: November 16, 2010, 09:11:39 PM »
Coal Quay in Belfast, 18 a week, 1973, on a cold October morning, scariest thing a skinny 17 year old could face. All these big black faced coalmen guldering at a fresh faced apprentice fitter. Bravest thing I ever did, not heading straight back over the Queen,s Bridge.