Author Topic: where was your first job?  (Read 20406 times)

Maymac

Re: where was your first job?
« Reply #180 on: December 30, 2019, 02:31:29 PM »
Delivered  newspapers and helped in a chip shop  before,leaving,school First job,aged 14 clipper in The Garfield  Adelaide St 35 shillings a week 1956 But got good training as a,machinist,making children's clothes

m-cully

« Reply #181 on: December 30, 2019, 11:03:43 PM »
The Cutting Room of the Beltex in 1955. Some of the people I remember there, Agnes Coates, Ann Blair, Mr. Mc Connell, Molly Rainey, Jean Mc lean, Freddy Gilroy, Tommy Doran, George Morrison, Sally ? Claire ? and Lena. Every time I put a tablecloth on a table I think about laying up fabric.🙂

Bigali

« Reply #182 on: December 30, 2019, 11:31:31 PM »
This will mean nothing to anyone on here but I had a Saturday and Summer job in Wilson McMichael Gents Outfitters in High Street Ballymoney as a sixteen year old and when I left school on the Friday at the end of June I started full time employment with him on the Saturday morning . I was very much the junior but it was a great grounding for dealing with the public and a very enjoyable three years before going on to another thirty year career. Sometimes it wasn’t far removed from the antics of Are You Being Served  ?  :D
Support Soldier F Support Soldier B

The courageous deeds and sacrifices of the RUC and UDR must never be airbrushed from history .

spoolerdog

« Reply #183 on: January 03, 2020, 01:38:54 PM »
Thought I was going for an interview in Dundonald GTC in May 1981 and was told congrats I had just started.  Issued with safety boots, bib and brace and various other bits and pieces.  Problem was I was still at school and was about to sit my O'Levels.

They were very good about it and let me out to sit the exams.  Did 12 O'Levels that year (only actually made it to 8 though - strange that!)

Left at the end of August 1981 and went into H&W where I served my apprenticeship as a spark and and then moved into the drawing office.  Lasted 10 years before being made redundant.

arch

« Reply #184 on: January 03, 2020, 06:34:48 PM »
Martins sack and bag manufacturers, Jennymount Industrial Estate.

JohnKelly

« Reply #185 on: January 04, 2020, 02:57:26 AM »
This will mean nothing to anyone on here but I had a Saturday and Summer job in Wilson McMichael Gents Outfitters in High Street Ballymoney as a sixteen year old and when I left school on the Friday at the end of June I started full time employment with him on the Saturday morning . I was very much the junior but it was a great grounding for dealing with the public and a very enjoyable three years before going on to another thirty year career. Sometimes it wasn’t far removed from the antics of Are You Being Served  ?  :D

I understand exactly what you are saying for I also left school at 15 and started work for a multi national tailoring company in Belfast as a junior sales assistant and 'Are You Being Served' aptly portrayed the working environment.

It was as you say a great grounding for dealing with members of the public and stood us well in later life.

An aside off-topic comment - in the shop where I worked there was a staff of over ten salesmen plus an extra five casuals on Saturdays, service was instant with a uniformed member of the Corps of Commissionaires greeting you at the door. Nowadays you would have to serve yourself and then queue up at a check-out.   

Dargan

« Reply #186 on: January 04, 2020, 08:39:48 AM »
On a stall at Nutt's Corner market. It was a freezing, exposed old site full of action and interest. I once bought a ball of string off another stall to tie the awning down, used it, then someone came along and bought it off me for a 5p profit. I've better tales than that but they're best untold. You certainly had to get adept at forgetting toilets existed because the chemi-carsy ones there were one of the best unweaponised items of mass destruction imaginable. But it was a good life.
And so it goes: "yours sincerely, Holden McGroyne."

derdrei

« Reply #187 on: January 14, 2020, 09:31:23 AM »
Martins sack and bag manufacturers, Jennymount Industrial Estate.
shirt factory the back of the city hall.

Jack The Kipper

« Reply #188 on: January 15, 2020, 06:21:32 PM »
shirt factory the back of the city hall.

Was it Kennedys Franklin St?
God Bless President Trump! God Bless Israel....and God Bless Big Rosie up our street!!!