Author Topic: where was your first job?  (Read 19674 times)

celticj

Re: where was your first job?
« Reply #90 on: February 26, 2010, 09:57:09 PM »
Lagan Meats, Duncrue Road started in 1976

honestmay

« Reply #91 on: February 26, 2010, 11:42:30 PM »
 :scratch_ones_head: first job beltex  flex st as a clipper ,wages 2 10 shillings  hated it moved 2 better things A Handkerchief ,stitching place in Yarrow street of the Crumlin road  :D wages 3 /7/6/a week nothing 2 be sneezed at

jmac

« Reply #92 on: February 26, 2010, 11:45:20 PM »
:scratch_ones_head: first job beltex  flex st as a clipper ,wages 2 10 shillings  hated it moved 2 better things A Handkerchief ,stitching place in Yarrow street of the Crumlin road  :D wages 3 /7/6/a week nothing 2 be sneezed at
:D like it.
Illegitimi Non Carborundum.

Ubique

bobby b

« Reply #93 on: February 26, 2010, 11:54:03 PM »
Sweeper up after coranations,up till ni ive oney dun one. ;)
Should you go first and I remain,one thing Ill have you do . Walk slowly down that lonesome path ,for soon Ill follow you.

irishmaid1

« Reply #94 on: February 26, 2010, 11:59:08 PM »
Albion stitching factory in Belfast 3 10 shillings a week, thought I was rich!  :yes:

gismo

« Reply #95 on: February 27, 2010, 12:00:13 AM »
first job was blackstaff springfield rd it the bobbpn department 1959 hated it worked myself the bag as my ma would not let me leave  good riddince lol gismo

GandT

« Reply #96 on: February 27, 2010, 12:22:07 AM »
Part-time, term-time - board marker and then clerk in McAlevey's bookies. An education infinitely richer than Queen's University!

Pennywhistle

« Reply #97 on: February 27, 2010, 03:59:56 PM »
 :hi: Before leaving school;

Butcher's delivery boy for Rodgers Butchers Donegall Road.
                         then afterwards,
  paper round,Mr.Geordie McAllister,Eureka Street
                             also,
  bottled bleach and pine disinfectant in premises next to The Lily bar,Albion Street
                             and
  washed cars for extra pocket money.( big houses in Derryvolgie Avenue and Adelaide Park ,thank you Miss Cope)
                             plus,
                      in the "big snow" of "63"
  shovelled snow from the drive ways of houses in Eglantine Ave.,spent the few bob on

"Sinalco" orange juice and cooked ham sandwiches (with pan bread no less!)in the Botanic Inn (and only 11 years old and they let us in !!)

On leaving school,started on the 1st.January as an apprentice sheet metal worker with Campbell Brown Engineering,Lockview Road,
Stranmillis.Went to work in a brand new "Donkey jacket",pristine blue boilersuit,"Big T " tan boots.Was made to make tea,burn metal with a gas torch ,fold sheetmetal on a huge press, "Red lead" some sort of fabrication and between times,was fixated on a huge clock in the workshop.At twenty minutes to four,realised that had I stayed on in school,I would have been heading home.Clocked out at 5 o'clock,overalls torn ,boots spattered in paint.Decided an apprenticeship was not for me.Served one day only.My grandfather,who "had got me in" was spittin' feathers !!

" Kitchen house reared and still,rough as Purdy Oaten ".

emma

« Reply #98 on: February 27, 2010, 05:02:04 PM »
First job Mourne Clothing as an examiner, only lasted about 2 weeks, then Woolworths a few years, then a pickle factory packing pickles,then an usherette and relief cashier at the Curzon, then a hardware shop on oldpark, and a radio operator for Z. Cabs.
Never look down on anyone, unless your going to pick them up.

Wilco

« Reply #99 on: February 27, 2010, 08:38:08 PM »
Mitcher ,
A mate of mine used to work in McDermott Engineering..called Archie..I think he joined the merchant navy later on. The back entrance to the Plaza was next door..and I also remember the workers there used to paint the heels of customers shoes red .. kept them talking while one of them applied the paint.

pajamo46

« Reply #100 on: February 27, 2010, 08:39:26 PM »
Stewarts cash store on the crumlin rd (upper), as a messenger boy, shifting huge loads on the awkward bike, thru deep snow, as fast as my puny legs would let me! Lasted about 3 months, then found a real job.

jimmymack

« Reply #101 on: March 01, 2010, 03:59:53 AM »
Apprentice Tiler with Davy Patterson my Tradesman was Billy Burns, a Great guy although I didn't realise at the time.?????????????????

GandT

« Reply #102 on: March 01, 2010, 09:04:16 AM »
first job beltex  flex st as a clipper ,wages 2 10 shillings 

At the same time as, or later than, Freddie Gilroy (boxer) - one of my all-time heroes! Just idle curiosity here - don't want to put the thread (which is great) off-track!

buttercup

« Reply #103 on: March 01, 2010, 11:56:52 PM »
My first job was for John mc Quillan Ltd  Hannahstown quarries as an office Clerk wages 4pound one shilling, my mother got three, then I went to work in Robbs dept Store Castle Place in the office . Did Irishinoz work in the Burtons Facing it in the 60,s. ?

BONEHOPPER

« Reply #104 on: March 02, 2010, 12:47:17 AM »
1st job was in hillocks chippy on the oldpark road....i was only 11yrs old...had brian tortured to get in behind the counter..i was more of a hindrance than a help and got a big fat 2 a week....and all the grub i could eat...happy days..
YOU CAN TAKE THE GIRL OUT OF BELFAST BUT YOU'LL NEVER TAKE BELFAST OUT OF THE GIRL!!