Author Topic: where was your first job?  (Read 19660 times)

newlodgeman

Re: where was your first job?
« Reply #165 on: November 16, 2010, 09:25:36 PM »
My first job was a carpetfitter. That was many moons ago

sean d

« Reply #166 on: November 16, 2010, 10:21:12 PM »
Welcome to the forum NLRM. Hope you enjoy.
live everyday as your last, because some day it will be :)

Dommo

« Reply #167 on: November 16, 2010, 11:17:24 PM »
my sisters fixed then with nail varish, i kid you not
for those who can still remember wearing nylons, my 1st job was mending the runs and ladders in ladies stockings (Honest ! ) I wish I could remember the name , but it was a wee  shop down town Belfast, went from there to photo processing, where I trimmed and scalloped the edges of photographs, fun jobs, lol. .
if yer gonna act the chivo, beware the chupacabra

whizzer

« Reply #168 on: November 17, 2010, 04:02:05 PM »
Marks & Spencer's in '69 - they were soo very good to their staff and their training was terrific. Loved their christmas dinner. Made some good friends here and left approx '70 or '71. They had their own canteen, hairdresser, chiropodist and doctor!
Hi Shylock, where was Marks & Sparks situated back in 1969? Not doubting you just can't recall it... ::)
The biggest lie I ever told was when I said "I never told a lie"

whizzer

« Reply #169 on: November 17, 2010, 04:09:29 PM »
Martin & Lemon's  Hope Street Sandy Row
What years did you work there? Both my sisters worked there for a few years in the 1960s... ;)

Shylock

« Reply #170 on: November 17, 2010, 09:18:50 PM »
Hi Shylock, where was Marks & Sparks situated back in 1969? Not doubting you just can't recall it... ::)
Hi Whizzer, M & S were EXACTLY where they are now ! ONly back then the sales floors consisted of the lower floor - food hall and children's wear and the ground floor, ladies wear, menswear etc. I started in Men's pj's [oops! that could be taken the wrong way!] went onto men'sshirts and then downstairs to children's racks, the upper floors you can shop on now were the strorerooms and staff facilities, Anna Larkin was my supervisor and trainer, Pat McCann was the window dresser, My best friend there was Coleen Bruce [with whom I caught up with nearly 40 yrs later when I returned to Belfast in July/ August this yr!] other names I recall are Mr. Beauchamps - a handsome blond dept. manager that all the girls fancied Susan somebody, Dorothy something, both  blondes, Susan was a young 15 yr old like meself and Maureen was married. the surnames will come to me in time.  oh and a pair of twins, called Mc something.When I was back there on hols it was amazing! I walked into the store and said to DH now there should be a staircase down to the basement just over here on the left  - oh look, I says, the staircase has gone and  they have more than one escalator now!  I knew where the lift was but downstairs was changed as its now all food hall. and of course no more individual counters with sales assistants on each one! They were happy days and I also recall evacuating across to British Home Stores whenever there was a bomb scare! we'd all go across to their tearoom and have a cuppa till the place was checked and we could return to work! its nice to reminisce!

whizzer

« Reply #171 on: November 18, 2010, 08:16:29 AM »
Hi Whizzer, M & S were EXACTLY where they are now ! ONly back then the sales floors consisted of the lower floor - food hall and children's wear and the ground floor, ladies wear, menswear etc. I started in Men's pj's [oops! that could be taken the wrong way!] went onto men'sshirts and then downstairs to children's racks, the upper floors you can shop on now were the strorerooms and staff facilities, Anna Larkin was my supervisor and trainer, Pat McCann was the window dresser, My best friend there was Coleen Bruce [with whom I caught up with nearly 40 yrs later when I returned to Belfast in July/ August this yr!] other names I recall are Mr. Beauchamps - a handsome blond dept. manager that all the girls fancied Susan somebody, Dorothy something, both  blondes, Susan was a young 15 yr old like meself and Maureen was married. the surnames will come to me in time.  oh and a pair of twins, called Mc something.When I was back there on hols it was amazing! I walked into the store and said to DH now there should be a staircase down to the basement just over here on the left  - oh look, I says, the staircase has gone and  they have more than one escalator now!  I knew where the lift was but downstairs was changed as its now all food hall. and of course no more individual counters with sales assistants on each one! They were happy days and I also recall evacuating across to British Home Stores whenever there was a bomb scare! we'd all go across to their tearoom and have a cuppa till the place was checked and we could return to work! its nice to reminisce!
Thanks for that Shylock, but I don't live in Belfast and can't recall where it was, haven't been back for a while so the old memory has gone, so, can you tell me where it was? Please? Sounds as though you had a fab time working there though... ;)

Shylock

« Reply #172 on: November 18, 2010, 11:45:50 AM »
Thanks for that Shylock, but I don't live in Belfast and can't recall where it was, haven't been back for a while so the old memory has gone, so, can you tell me where it was? Please? Sounds as though you had a fab time working there though... ;)
Hi Whizzer, sorry for the misunderstanding- I just automatically assumed that you are currently living in Belfast! Marks & Spencer is situated opposite the City Hall in  Donegall place - am attaching a  foto to give you an idea of where it is - my brother took this particular foto when he was over there for our niece's wedding 3 yrs ago.

this is Donegall Place looking towards the City Hall and you can see Marks & Sparks sign on the left side of the pic. hope this makes it clearer for you, C & A was on the same side but more towards the camera,  they were a ladies fashion store - remember buying an orange wool 8 gored skirt there for 30 shillings!

whizzer

« Reply #173 on: November 18, 2010, 01:29:14 PM »
Hi Whizzer, sorry for the misunderstanding- I just automatically assumed that you are currently living in Belfast! Marks & Spencer is situated opposite the City Hall in  Donegall place - am attaching a  foto to give you an idea of where it is - my brother took this particular foto when he was over there for our niece's wedding 3 yrs ago.

this is Donegall Place looking towards the City Hall and you can see Marks & Sparks sign on the left side of the pic. hope this makes it clearer for you, C & A was on the same side but more towards the camera,  they were a ladies fashion store - remember buying an orange wool 8 gored skirt there for 30 shillings!
Shylock, thank you very much for taking the trouble to put that photo up, it really is appreciated. Yes, things haven't changed so much, have they? Once you see the City Hall all becomes clear. 30 bob for a skirt 'eh? You wouldn't get much for 30 bob today... ;)  I do know C & A, I worked in the rag trade for 22 years, would you believe that they still have a very big store in Berlin, and still knocking out good quality clothes at very good prices. Thanks again Shylock... ;)

Sally Ann

« Reply #174 on: November 18, 2010, 02:07:13 PM »
I remember M&S opening in Belfast, and it may sound unbelievable to people nowadays, but they introduced us to foods like Yogurt and Coleslaw!  My Mother bought a tub of Coleslaw and we thought it was a type of 'Sandwhich Filler!' and initially put it in a piece!  :blush2: :swoon: ::)
I only got drunk, I never got stupid!

Dommo

« Reply #175 on: November 18, 2010, 08:46:13 PM »
I was from th unexotic food family, I remember seeing coleslaw in the 1960's and being coimpletely fascinated. I had no theory as to what it might be (the name did not give miuch of a hint....).. Now its sushi, caviar and enchilladas no problem!

I remember M&S opening in Belfast, and it may sound unbelievable to people nowadays, but they introduced us to foods like Yogurt and Coleslaw!  My Mother bought a tub of Coleslaw and we thought it was a type of 'Sandwhich Filler!' and initially put it in a piece!  :blush2: :swoon: ::)
if yer gonna act the chivo, beware the chupacabra

Shylock

« Reply #176 on: November 18, 2010, 09:21:24 PM »
Shylock, thank you very much for taking the trouble to put that photo up, it really is appreciated. Yes, things haven't changed so much, have they? Once you see the City Hall all becomes clear. 30 bob for a skirt 'eh? You wouldn't get much for 30 bob today... ;)  I do know C & A, I worked in the rag trade for 22 years, would you believe that they still have a very big store in Berlin, and still knocking out good quality clothes at very good prices. Thanks again Shylock... ;)
You're welcome Whizzer, glad I could help clear things up for you! I also remember an oul bloke sitting outside M&S's back door - he used to play the saw - often wondered what his life had been like and where he learned to play the saw like a violin! I loved M&S's xmas dinner - we were allowed a longer lunch break on that day and us wee shop girls would go up to the staff canteen and all the tables were laid with white tablecloths, the department managers would don aprons and chef's hats and wait on us shop girls - they served us our roast dinner, complete with Xmas pud and a glass of wine was allowed for those of us old enough to drink - alas, I was only 15 back then and so missed out on the glass of wine! They were really caring towards their staff, and I also recall during the troubles when the buses were 'off' M&S would organise taxis to get us home. Having their own hairdresser was a bonus too, you would just write your name down on the board outside the door against a vacant time slot and you would be called 'upstairs' at the appropriate time to have your hair done - once you were under the dryer, the hairdresser would go into the staff canteen and bring you back your lunch on a tray and you'd eat it while you were under the dryer, once you're hair was 'done' you could return to the floor and continue working - I can't recall what it cost but it was probably subsidised. They also ran in-house training before decimal currency came in - we got to 'practise' with the new money for several weeks before the new money came into effect.When working in Men's shirts I was sent on a road trip to a shirt factory, [somewhere out in the country] where we learned how the shirts were made and also how to re-do them up in new packaging after customers returned them when they'd bought the wrong size. There was an art to pinning them together and making sure they looked like they'd never been opened! They also used to have a wonderful 'broken zip' policy - if any zipper broke  [especially on kid's anoraks] M&S would return them to the manufacturer for replacement zipper, didn't seem top matter how old the anorak was - recall sending off some anoraks that were so old and worn, when they returned , the new shiny zipper looked and worked beautifully but looked so out of place in this daggy old anorak that had probably been worn by half a dozen children it was that worn! the anorak was about 10 yr old - back then you could find out just when the garment was made by looking at the code on the label. They also introduced the 'shopping card' - a system where you could choose your purchases on the sock counter, have them entered on your shopping card and proceed to the shirt counter to choose your shirts and have them entered also, in the meantime, your purchases would be sent down to the basement and placed in a wee 'pigeon hole' till you'd finished your shopping when you'd go to the basement, collect all your purchases and pay for them in one hit - saved you carting around all your bits and pieces of shopping till you'd got it all. It was a popular way of shopping for a lot of people. sorry to waffle on a wee bit here, sort of got into 'reminiscing mode'!

whizzer

« Reply #177 on: November 18, 2010, 10:35:16 PM »
You're welcome Whizzer, glad I could help clear things up for you! I also remember an oul bloke sitting outside M&S's back door - he used to play the saw - often wondered what his life had been like and where he learned to play the saw like a violin! I loved M&S's xmas dinner - we were allowed a longer lunch break on that day and us wee shop girls would go up to the staff canteen and all the tables were laid with white tablecloths, the department managers would don aprons and chef's hats and wait on us shop girls - they served us our roast dinner, complete with Xmas pud and a glass of wine was allowed for those of us old enough to drink - alas, I was only 15 back then and so missed out on the glass of wine! They were really caring towards their staff, and I also recall during the troubles when the buses were 'off' M&S would organise taxis to get us home. Having their own hairdresser was a bonus too, you would just write your name down on the board outside the door against a vacant time slot and you would be called 'upstairs' at the appropriate time to have your hair done - once you were under the dryer, the hairdresser would go into the staff canteen and bring you back your lunch on a tray and you'd eat it while you were under the dryer, once you're hair was 'done' you could return to the floor and continue working - I can't recall what it cost but it was probably subsidised. They also ran in-house training before decimal currency came in - we got to 'practise' with the new money for several weeks before the new money came into effect.When working in Men's shirts I was sent on a road trip to a shirt factory, [somewhere out in the country] where we learned how the shirts were made and also how to re-do them up in new packaging after customers returned them when they'd bought the wrong size. There was an art to pinning them together and making sure they looked like they'd never been opened! They also used to have a wonderful 'broken zip' policy - if any zipper broke  [especially on kid's anoraks] M&S would return them to the manufacturer for replacement zipper, didn't seem top matter how old the anorak was - recall sending off some anoraks that were so old and worn, when they returned , the new shiny zipper looked and worked beautifully but looked so out of place in this daggy old anorak that had probably been worn by half a dozen children it was that worn! the anorak was about 10 yr old - back then you could find out just when the garment was made by looking at the code on the label. They also introduced the 'shopping card' - a system where you could choose your purchases on the sock counter, have them entered on your shopping card and proceed to the shirt counter to choose your shirts and have them entered also, in the meantime, your purchases would be sent down to the basement and placed in a wee 'pigeon hole' till you'd finished your shopping when you'd go to the basement, collect all your purchases and pay for them in one hit - saved you carting around all your bits and pieces of shopping till you'd got it all. It was a popular way of shopping for a lot of people. sorry to waffle on a wee bit here, sort of got into 'reminiscing mode'!
Shylock, you're not waffling, I love hearing stories about Belfast in the good days, yes, I know we had the trouble but somehow at our age ( I think I'm older than you ) we just got on with it and enjoyed ourselves, I know that I did. I loved your story, I love nostalgia, and I once again thank you for the lovely photo you put up, it really was kind of you. I also remember that old fella who played the saw, he used to play outside Sawyers in Castle Junction, I think I may still have been at school then, but I don't recall. I hope you're enjoying your life now as much as you did back then.... ;)

Meb88

« Reply #178 on: December 29, 2019, 08:05:20 PM »
Apprentice Tiler with Davy Patterson my Tradesman was Billy Burns, a Great guy although I didn't realise at the time. ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??

Billy Burns was my Granda and Davy Patterson a relative as well. My dad was a tiler back in the day.

pete57

« Reply #179 on: December 29, 2019, 09:11:52 PM »
Mine was at Roneo Vickers in York Street - about 1968. Didn't stay long, moved to Howsons (electrical wholesalers) in Orby Road.
my first job at fourteen years of age was breaking up pigs [censored]* to supply compost to the wealthier neighbours gardens, not much money earned but it kept me busy and boosted my immune system .. so all good in the end . i am now 114 years old, never had a cold in me life  :0)