Author Topic: Ligoniel  (Read 140902 times)

gismo

Re: Ligoniel
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2009, 10:56:14 PM »
h i cgonk like ur style very witty i use tioknow a girl from silverstream she was a lovely girl this was in the sixtes she had polio when she was a child which affected one of here legs i lost contact with her i often wonder what happened to her i met her in the savoy they were showing madam x i also knew a guy called malcolm kindeness ring any bells gismo

honestmay

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2009, 02:25:03 AM »
hello gismo would the person you r talking about be called Roberta Moody . from silverstream road
.joan

Michelle McCarron

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2011, 09:15:11 PM »
do you remember savage family  lived in esteriol park or edwards family from ladbroke drive i am their cousin

My family are savages and are from Ligoniel-Ballysillan road.

stewie

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2011, 09:27:59 PM »
Isaac Henderson was the name,only one style of haircut short back an sides.  .Headbanger.
used to go to a a House on the TOR :smile:  turn of the road ;) an oul boy did hair cuts in his front room :smile:  we knew him as Isaac :smile: wonder was he the same person :smile:

DOFFER

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2011, 12:43:27 PM »
I WAS RAISED ON THE LIGONIEL RD WENT TO INFANT SCHOOL AT WOLFHILL

LIVED WITH MY GRAN IN THE OLD WHITE WASHED HOUSES  ON FRONTOF THE ROAD  GREAT PLACE BACK THEN IT REALLY DID HAVE A VILLAGE ATMOSPHERE , KNEW THE BOWLS, SCULLIONS ,,MCGINTYS ,,RICHIES , O HARAS , ROSS ,ETC
MY GRAN WAS A TOLAND  FROM FINLEY ST ,
Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning Satan shudders and says 'Oh [censored] shes awake!!'

MAY ALLEN CRAWFORD

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2011, 01:07:03 PM »
PERHAPS WE ARE RELATED MY COUSIN BILLY SAVAGE WAS CHOIRMASTER HIS BROTHER JIMMY MARRIED ETHNA AND LIVED IN ETNA DRIVE LOTS OF OTHERS EDWARDS LIVED IN LADBROKE DRIVE  I AM STILL IN TOUCH WITH ETTA  MULLAN ( NEE EDWARDS )

allymac

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2011, 01:25:24 PM »
My Mothers uncle,Jim Patton,lived in Wolfhill until the 1970's.I think he was the last member of the family to leave Ligoniel.

Lorraine Johnston

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2011, 03:05:34 AM »
Hi my mum comes from ligoniel she lived in mountiainview place right at the top near hughy shop.
Mr granda was in the sons of the heather pipe band.
does anyone outhere remember hessie and jamsey man they lived beside my granda and grannie.

Brodie

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2011, 11:20:07 AM »
Anyone from Ligoniel on here, got any old Stories from the Ballysilliam Road or Silvertream from Back in the Day  ;)

Brodie

« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2011, 11:37:21 AM »
I used to live in Silverstream mid 50's-early 60's and despite the usual hardships of that era,
I can truthfully say they were some of the happiest days of my life!
I also went to primary school in Ligoniel (remember the Library and park well) and also attended
Wheatfield primary and Model school. I also knew Ballysillan area in those days.
I am new to the forum so am just getting to know the set up.I have thoroughly enjoyed all the posts I have
read so far and have learned so much about the recent history of such a memorable place. Thanks to all
the wonderful people on the forum. :smile:

Lorraine Johnston

« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2011, 01:57:20 AM »
Hi my mum is betty todd nee thompson she lived in ligoniel i used to live beside wee billie ritchie on the ballysillan road near the opening to the bowling green.

fulton

« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2011, 07:17:20 AM »
Hi my mum is betty todd nee thompson she lived in ligoniel i used to live beside wee billie ritchie on the ballysillan road near the opening to the bowling green.
Hi Lorraine I knew a Roberta Todd. Her brother was Howard, There mother's name was something like Lala ( perhaps not spelt, correctly, my excuse is I went to St. Marks school)

Moonlight

« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2011, 08:04:46 AM »
How did you people from Ligoniel pronounce it?.  My mother came from Ardoyne and had friends in Ligoniel.  She used to prounounce it Laganeil and my husband used to argue that it was Lig (rhymes with jig).   So how did the ones who lived their pronounce it?.   Just curious. :air_kiss:
Once sent out a word takes wing beyond recall

Brodie

« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2011, 09:21:27 AM »
Hi Moonlight, We pronounced it Lag a neil but then I was educated at St.Mark's!  :smile:

Brodie

« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2011, 09:25:51 AM »
Fulton - Do you remember any of the Teachers at St.Mark's?
ie. Mrs.Mcquitty,Mrs.Ritchie,Miss Luff,Mr.Lamont and of course the unforgettable
Mr.(taffy)Welchman.