Author Topic: Ligoniel  (Read 147690 times)

Morton McDonald

Re: Ligoniel
« Reply #480 on: December 13, 2014, 09:29:20 PM »
Just reading through some old posts and came across a name that I have not herd in a long time. ....Kinkaid, there was a family by that name who lived next door to me on the Hightown Road just where the Horseshoe Road turns a large family they lived in front of McGladeries quarry some names were Margaret the eldest another girl cannot recall her name but was probably a biblic name the boys were David, Winston Churchill and sadly cannot recall all the others they lived 4 doors down from the Reeds in the end house

mccoy

« Reply #481 on: December 20, 2014, 07:13:27 PM »
Any one remember Harmony cottages I was born there in 1944  moved away in 1960

Morton McDonald

« Reply #482 on: December 20, 2014, 08:30:13 PM »
Used to know a Ken McKoy he moved to the USA and then moved back to Belfast

udini

« Reply #483 on: December 20, 2014, 08:53:13 PM »

I lived in # 3 Harmony Hill, both parents worked in the Mill. Bertie Sharkie.
Who,what, where,when and why,I think that says it all.

udini

« Reply #484 on: December 22, 2014, 02:19:11 PM »
I,m trying to remember how many houses there were there and I think it was 8 not including the Dills Big house opposite. You lived at the top #8?

mccoy

« Reply #485 on: December 23, 2014, 02:40:48 PM »
Re Harmony cottages there were a row of seven plus the Dills house across the way  the family  names I remember in the late fifties from house no 1 to 7 were  Montgomery  Granville Sharkie   Bradford   Adams  McHenery  McCoy [my old home]   

udini

« Reply #486 on: December 23, 2014, 03:43:06 PM »
MCCOY I sent you a private message , did you not get it?

CherylBernadette

« Reply #487 on: January 04, 2015, 05:26:31 AM »
. The corner boys usually consisted of the Rice brothers, Danny Ardis,Davey Thompson, Tom Maginty,walter Thompson.

By any chance would one of the  Rice brothers be a Tommy? and Danny Ardis was the one who had had another brother called John, 3 sisters. Elish, Bernadette and Jean. Her real name was Mary Jane but she went by Jean.  I never asked why ???

kate

« Reply #488 on: January 06, 2015, 07:03:10 PM »
 Any one know or remember a  Katie Maginty ,from Ligoniel  Rd  and a the daughter of the owners of the  Chippy there I think she was called Jackie Fourtune  we went to Everton School , this was around the late  1950

Kay

kate

« Reply #489 on: January 06, 2015, 07:06:38 PM »
My Mother worked wit a girl From Ligoniel called Teresa Rice  I wonder if her brother was one  of the corner boys
Kay

mccoy

« Reply #490 on: January 07, 2015, 07:53:18 PM »
Udini  sent you personal message but being new to form must have got it wrong . I still live in N,I. place called Newtownabbey  noth of  Belfast. Have been retired 8 years [age 70 now] I think you are about 3 years younger than me . Other kids from our time in Harmony you may remember Seamus & Agnes Montgomery, Alan Jim & Harry Granville, Billy & Tom Adams,Catherine & Jim Dill. Have some old photos of harmony if I can ever work out how to post them   
     Jim Mcc 

georgieboy

« Reply #491 on: January 14, 2015, 08:58:20 PM »
I lived on Glenbank Drive, No 13.  Can still think back and name most of the families from the bottom of the street to the top.  The Coyles lived in Number 1 and the Crosby's lived in the last house beside the Park.  This was 1950 -1957 or there abouts. We then moved to Silverstream Drive. :-)
hello everyone enjoying reading about your storys, joanne do you remember the gihons from glenbank drive number 29 lived beside alec kennendy, also anyone from ligoniel remember my granny,annie magill or nee Thompson, also john magill and the irvines from ligoneil

udini

« Reply #492 on: January 19, 2015, 05:08:14 PM »
hello everyone enjoying reading about your storys, joanne do you remember the gihons from glenbank drive number 29 lived beside alec kennendy, also anyone from ligoniel remember my granny,annie magill or nee Thompson, also john magill and the irvines from ligoneil
Georgieboy, I went to St.Marks with Jimmy Wilson from near the bottom of the street and , I think, next door was a boy called Jim? Harris, who although he had to use crutches, could play football with the best of us. Maybe it was because he would smack you with the crutches. There was also the Coburns in the street. I lived down Harmaony and then we moved up to Glenbank Place.

dorisdickson970

« Reply #493 on: February 25, 2015, 08:06:39 PM »
i remember jackie mcgill his granny lived in legvea st  at bottim 

Roy McCann

« Reply #494 on: March 02, 2015, 11:37:00 PM »
I came from Silverstream Crescent, and went to sunday school somewhere up Legoniel. I remember Isaac Henderson's barbers, he had wooden board puzzles and loads of old war posters up. Most of my family worked in Grangers shirt factory.