Author Topic: Ligoniel  (Read 140882 times)

theengineer

Re: Memories of Lower Ligoniel Rd./Crumlin Rd.and Ballysillan.
« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2012, 10:21:08 PM »
The shop I remember was just opposite the Church. It was still there for a long time after I had left the area.
Unfortunately there was some trouble, the shop closed and is now just a house. The chemist (Mr Hamilton) retired and his son took over the running of the place. I knew him well when we were growing up.

udini

« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2012, 04:02:50 AM »
I remember the turn of the road well. I lived down Harmony Hill and one day while a friend, Tom Adams, and I were throwing stones into the river he hit me on the back of my head and split it open . The closest place to get it stitched was Hamiltons Chemist and that's where I was taken. He stitched me up and sent me on my way!
I moved up to Glenbank Place a little later on, but have fond memories of the area and Tom Adams , whereever he is.
Who,what, where,when and why,I think that says it all.

kate.o

« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2012, 04:23:39 AM »
Hi newry, I did indeed follow them dreams. After many trips to England & Europe, I came to the USA & have visited 46 states & Canada
I still love to travel although not as much as I used to because of health issues.
I went to Finiston & Boys Model & used to love to look down over the lough & watch the boats come & go & watch planes take off from Short Bros. & Harland. They were happy day's as you said.
Well I am off to bed. Take care, Billy Scott
hi Ulster,what a great story,you went with your
 dreams and done it, good on you love,I hope your health issues are small  *

RSL

« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2012, 04:45:04 AM »
I remember the turn of the road well. I lived down Harmony Hill and one day while a friend, Tom Adams, and I were throwing stones into the river he hit me on the back of my head and split it open . The closest place to get it stitched was Hamiltons Chemist and that's where I was taken. He stitched me up and sent me on my way!
I moved up to Glenbank Place a little later on, but have fond memories of the area and Tom Adams , whereever he is.

I remember Harmony Hill - I think.
Was there a little row of houses on the left and a fast flowing river that was often different colours due
to the dye effluent from the mill?
We used to slide down the hill in our make believe sleigh (tin tea tray ) when it snowed!

I think we all got good service from Mr.Hamilton.Can you imagine the Pharmacist's these days, dressing burns or stitching
wounds?

Can you remember any other names of the people from those days?
We went to St.Mark's,Wheatfield,Everton(my sister) and The Model,also Ballysillan. :)

udini

« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2012, 04:57:58 AM »
Yes Newry,
There was a row of white-washed houses about 8 , we lived in number 3 . Across from them there was one house owned by Jimmy Dill . The Granvilles, McCoys are the only names I remember . I also went to St. Marks around 1953-1960 then Everton till 1964.
Who,what, where,when and why,I think that says it all.

theengineer

« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2012, 10:36:00 AM »
Harmony Village, I am surprised some of you remember it ( and lived there !).
As youngsters we spent most of our summer in " the Glen", including waiting at the weekend for the "flood" !
This was the factory upstream letting all that weeks water out of the dam. It changed colour evey week, depending I suppose on what the factory was dyeing.
We would walk through Harmony on the way to St Marys cricket ground, or if you went straight ahead you would come to Robins Well. This was an actual well ( like you see in postcards) with a fish in it to keep the water fresh. Belonged to a farm up the hill.

Linda McCready

« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2012, 08:17:52 PM »
Hi Jr Member Newry.  Do you mind if I correct you on the shops.  I lived in Silverstream Road and remember the Crumlin Road/Ligoniel Road very well.  There was a shoe shop on the corner then if I remember an undertakers next door to Lynas's paper shop.  I'm not sure what was next door then a wool shop and then the post office.  Am I right so far.  Further on down the road before the Plots there was a supermarket called Becks that was beside the Mayfair sweet shop.  I remember that well we used to buy FIZZ there that coloured our tongue and fingers.

Wasup

« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2012, 08:33:20 PM »

I dont remember those shops but then my memory is not that good!  I lived in Donaldson Crescent (off Twaddle Ave)  I remember well me and my mates and just about everyone else walking up Ligoniel road on a Sunday and walking back down again as there was nothing else to do!   How sad is that? We would sit on the window ledges of the fire station and chat for a while and then dander up the road for some action!  Never got any of course!  Best place to be was Freddie McCanns chippy late at night and Angela serving you. Think she ended up in Australia.   I was in love with her. I was 13 and she must have been twice my age at least but it didnt matter to me.  Probably did to her though! Ah.... loves sweet dream.

Linda McCready

« Reply #53 on: February 09, 2012, 08:40:53 PM »
Did you walk through Ligoniel Park?  If so do you remember the 'Banana' tree?  We used to have our wee picnics there and it was our special place!!  That was when we didn't have a care or worry in the world..

theengineer

« Reply #54 on: February 09, 2012, 08:48:50 PM »
Those memories are coming thick and fast. !
I do remember Ligoniel Park but not the Banana tree. .got my first black eye there from one of the seesaws, and I remember a neighbour taking me to the park for a party at the end of the war but I was just too young and cried to get home again!
Years later wee too walked the road on Sundays, watching all the talent.

Wasup

« Reply #55 on: February 09, 2012, 08:55:53 PM »

Am I cracking up? Ligoniel Park? What was that? I,m getting really worried now.  We were probably to busy looking for talent that we missed the park and fell into the wishing well!

theengineer

« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2012, 09:22:35 PM »
Oh I do love your humour Wasup.  ... ???

Wasup

« Reply #57 on: February 09, 2012, 09:26:51 PM »

Thanks theengineer. I do my best.

Foundry

« Reply #58 on: February 10, 2012, 01:08:48 AM »
Shop across from the elim was greggs,then there was issac used to cut hair for 5p in his house facing the mayfair shop
Them that made no mistakes,never made anything!

RSL

« Reply #59 on: February 10, 2012, 07:03:24 AM »
Hi Linda,
Thanks for refreshing my memories.I now recall Mayfair"s (lovely icecream and red and yellow fizz) and
Becks supermarket.
There were some other shops along that section but I would need some prompting to remember them.lol.
I remember the park with it's lovely big trees,flowers and of course playground.I liked the way you could
enter it from Ligoniel Rd. and walk through to Glenbank Drive.
I used to know some folk from Silverstream Rd.What time frame did you live there?
Do you know if there was a Doctor's surgery along the Ligoniel Rd.Before the old Mission Hall,on the same side
as the park?

Regards,N. :)

quote author=Linda McCready link=topic=43014.msg1072411#msg1072411 date=1328732272]
Hi Jr Member Newry.  Do you mind if I correct you on the shops.  I lived in Silverstream Road and remember the Crumlin Road/Ligoniel Road very well.  There was a shoe shop on the corner then if I remember an undertakers next door to Lynas's paper shop.  I'm not sure what was next door then a wool shop and then the post office.  Am I right so far.  Further on down the road before the Plots there was a supermarket called Becks that was beside the Mayfair sweet shop.  I remember that well we used to buy FIZZ there that coloured our tongue and fingers.