Author Topic: Ligoniel  (Read 140755 times)

RSL

Re: Memories of Lower Ligoniel Rd./Crumlin Rd.and Ballysillan.
« Reply #75 on: February 17, 2012, 04:49:46 AM »
Hi Linda,I went to St.Mark's,Wheatfield and the GMS.
Some of my friends went to St.Vincent's and Our Lady's.( Stewart's,Bell's,Portlock)
I remember the Murphy's,Mayne's,Russell's,Willis Beattie,from S/S Road.
Good times back then.No time to get bored,plenty to do and lots of "Wee Chums"to play with.
Regards, N.

RSL

Re: Ligoniel
« Reply #76 on: February 17, 2012, 05:02:53 AM »
Hi Doffer,
Thanks for the info. on Dr.Nelson.
What does the term "over the eight"mean?
Can you remember whereabouts his surgery was?
I enjoy reading your stories,takes me back to a special time in my life.
Had a good laugh about the goat up Bill's loney! :D

RSL

« Reply #77 on: February 17, 2012, 05:19:17 AM »
Hi Elwood,
Yes it's good to hear from other people from our childhood days :) .
I lived in Silverstream and went to St.Mark's also.
I remember the Headmaster(Mr.Welshman) used to hold assembly (think it was
every morning)in the classroom that was shared with Mr.Lamont and his piano.
If you were late the big wooden door was closed and it was just about impossible to get in.
I remember the door had a metal bar across, like the doors they have in Gym's.
If you were discovered to be late,you had to walk up to the front of the assembly and explain
in front of everyone!I would love to hear your memories and also any names that you may recall.
Regards,N.

fulton

« Reply #78 on: February 17, 2012, 11:35:27 AM »
Hi Doffer,
Thanks for the info. on Dr.Nelson.
What does the term "over the eight"mean?
Can you remember whereabouts his surgery was?
I enjoy reading your stories,takes me back to a special time in my life.
Had a good laugh about the goat up Bill's loney! :D
Over the eight ment! to much to drink.    Dr. Nelson was on the same side of Ligoniel Rd. as St. marks school. His practice was on the corner, and on the other corner was the chemist. A few doors up was the pub with the betting shop around the back.

Elwood

« Reply #79 on: February 17, 2012, 02:21:28 PM »
G'day Elwood. I remember Mr. Lamont he taught me in several grads. Mr. welshman taught me in 7th. grade, that was my last year at school, 1952.

Hi Ya Fulton. So goooood to hear from you!!  I'm going through a very nostalgic period. You and "Brodie" sound like a couple of people I should know from the old days. I just want to point out that not only did I grow up in Silverstream and go to St Mark's, but I was born in Ligoniel, opposite Ewart's Mill (???) and Castle's Drapery. (????) My granny, granda, ma and da, uncles and aunts, all worked in the mills over the years. I'm very proud of my working class background. From the dates you've listed, it would appear that you are older than I. You may have known my (late) mother (Hazel Cairns) She was also taught by Mr Lamont!!  However, like all Ballysillan (turn of the road) and Ligoniel kids, they ended up working at one of the mills.
Very excited (in the antipodes) about a reply from my real home!!

DOFFER

« Reply #80 on: February 17, 2012, 04:05:05 PM »
Hi Ya Fulton. So goooood to hear from you!!  I'm going through a very nostalgic period. You and "Brodie" sound like a couple of people I should know from the old days. I just want to point out that not only did I grow up in Silverstream and go to St Mark's, but I was born in Ligoniel, opposite Ewart's Mill ( ??? ) and Castle's Drapery. ( ??? ?) My granny, granda, ma and da, uncles and aunts, all worked in the mills over the years. I'm very proud of my working class background. From the dates you've listed, it would appear that you are older than I. You may have known my (late) mother (Hazel Cairns) She was also taught by Mr Lamont!!  However, like all Ballysillan (turn of the road) and Ligoniel kids, they ended up working at one of the mills.
Very excited (in the antipodes) about a reply from my real home!!

HI THERE ELWOOD  I TOO WAS BORN IN LIGONIEL I ALSO LIVED OPPOSITE CASTLES DRAPERY  , NEXT DOOR NEIGHBOURS WERE THE BOAL FAMILY ,THE  ROSS,S  THEN SCULLIANS  ,MC GINTYS  , DO YOU REMEMBER RICHIES SHOP AND THE SHOP A WEE BIT FURTHER UP GOLDYWINS , ,,,,,,,,,,,,,MAYBE YOUR TO YOUNG  LOL
GRAND PLACE TO BE RAISED WE HAD EVERYTHING  AT A HAND ,FIELDS  RIVERS  WE WERE BLESSED ,
Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning Satan shudders and says 'Oh [censored] shes awake!!'

Elwood

« Reply #81 on: February 18, 2012, 02:15:56 AM »

HI THERE ELWOOD  I TOO WAS BORN IN LIGONIEL I ALSO LIVED OPPOSITE CASTLES DRAPERY  , NEXT DOOR NEIGHBOURS WERE THE BOAL FAMILY ,THE  ROSS,S  THEN SCULLIANS  ,MC GINTYS  , DO YOU REMEMBER RICHIES SHOP AND THE SHOP A WEE BIT FURTHER UP GOLDYWINS , ,,,,,,,,,,,,,MAYBE YOUR TO YOUNG  LOL
GRAND PLACE TO BE RAISED WE HAD EVERYTHING  AT A HAND ,FIELDS  RIVERS  WE WERE BLESSED ,

Hi Doffer

I do remember the McGintys! and I certainly remember Richies' shop . . . macaroons and Walkers Carmels. The other names aren't familiar, may have been before my time. We stayed with my granny quite a bit when were kids and spent a lot of time in Ligoniel. I remember eating vegetable soup in Mrs McGinty's and my (Great) Aunts Jane and Lizzy would often call us in for some rhubarb or an orange (quite a treat) although being so young we never really got to know these women very well. I also remember a dowager of a woman called Bella Armstrong who lent money at interest and took snuff.

You're right about it being a great place. We kids used to disappear for hours over the Bray, collecting hazelnuts, playing wee house and wee shop, etc etc. Halloween and Christmas were the BEST!  Hope to talk again soon.

fulton

« Reply #82 on: February 18, 2012, 02:34:09 AM »
Hi Ya Fulton. So goooood to hear from you!!  I'm going through a very nostalgic period. You and "Brodie" sound like a couple of people I should know from the old days. I just want to point out that not only did I grow up in Silverstream and go to St Mark's, but I was born in Ligoniel, opposite Ewart's Mill (???) and Castle's Drapery. (????) My granny, granda, ma and da, uncles and aunts, all worked in the mills over the years. I'm very proud of my working class background. From the dates you've listed, it would appear that you are older than I. You may have known my (late) mother (Hazel Cairns) She was also taught by Mr Lamont!!  However, like all Ballysillan (turn of the road) and Ligoniel kids, they ended up working at one of the mills.
Very excited (in the antipodes) about a reply from my real home!!  G'day Elwood. The name Hazel Cairns, rings a bell! Did she have a brother David?  He lived in the street opposit the Library. (I think it was called Legann St.) If so David and I were in the same class at St.Marks. There was a break between the houses, in Legann St. we used it to go into the park. Some of the people that Doffer spoke off, I also knew. It's a small world. I would be pleased to hear about any of the people I once knew.

RSL

« Reply #83 on: February 18, 2012, 03:45:48 AM »
Hi Fulton,
Thanks for your reply re.Dr's in Ligoniel.
I must be dreaming,but I thought there was another one on
the same side as the park and a clinic where we had to go to collect a
small glass bottle of orange juice concentrate and codliver oil for the baby
in the family.
I also remember a street on the same side of the park where you could
cut through to Lavens Drive?
I don't think it was Legann though.
I remember along Crumlin rd. just after the Loney(Bilston's Rd.)
there was Legmail St. Leroy St. Primrose St. then Legann St.
On opposite side Lavens Dr. Oakley St. and then Glenbank Dr.
I stand to be corrected as it's a very long time since I tread those streets. :)

DOFFER

« Reply #84 on: February 18, 2012, 11:58:55 AM »
Hi Doffer

I do remember the McGintys! and I certainly remember Richies' shop . . . macaroons and Walkers Carmels. The other names aren't familiar, may have been before my time. We stayed with my granny quite a bit when were kids and spent a lot of time in Ligoniel. I remember eating vegetable soup in Mrs McGinty's and my (Great) Aunts Jane and Lizzy would often call us in for some rhubarb or an orange (quite a treat) although being so young we never really got to know these women very well. I also remember a dowager of a woman called Bella Armstrong who lent money at interest and took snuff.

You're right about it being a great place. We kids used to disappear for hours over the Bray, collecting hazelnuts, playing wee house and wee shop, etc etc. Halloween and Christmas were the BEST!  Hope to talk again soon.

ELWOOD THE DOWAGER  WOMAN DID SHE CARRY ALL  WORLDY GOODS IN A BIG BLACK SACK  IF SO SAME WOMAN USED TO SELL SECOND HAND CLOTHES ,
MAY I ASK WHAT YOUR AUNTS SURNAME WAS ,?
Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning Satan shudders and says 'Oh [censored] shes awake!!'

Elwood

« Reply #85 on: February 18, 2012, 12:32:28 PM »

Hi Fulton and Doffer
I've just spend half and hour replying to you Fulton and the (censored) thing went missing. I'm going to have a few (censored) problems >:D until I get used to this.

Yes my mother's youngest brother is David and they did live in a street opposite the library. I think though it was called Legane St, I seem to remember 2 streets with very similar names. Ma lost touch with David for years until she found out he had moved to Western Australia. They were going to catch up and then she became gravely ill.

I don't know where you live but I've been using Googleearth to "do a tour" of the old place. Silverstream and the park and St Mark's still look familiar but Ligoniel is unrecognizable. My husband and I paid a visit some years ago and I knew the place was no longer there (as such). It still makes me very sad.

In answer to your question Doffer, re: Bella Armstrong, when you mentioned about the second hand clothes it rang a bell but I couldn't be sure. She seemed to be a very influential old woman in the area . . . a real "business" woman, so I wouldn't be surprised. My aunts were McMurrays, my granda's "maiden lady" sisters. By the way, re: Richies. I've been arguing with my sister today about where it was. I'm sure it was on the left going up Ligoniel, at the end of the whitewashed row, she says it was on the right. Can you confirm please before we have a falling out?

Regards to you both, E

DOFFER

« Reply #86 on: February 18, 2012, 12:54:32 PM »
In answer to your question Doffer, re: Bella Armstrong, when you mentioned about the second hand clothes it rang a bell but I couldn't be sure. She seemed to be a very influential old woman in the area . . . a real "business" woman, so I wouldn't be surprised. My aunts were McMurrays, my granda's "maiden lady" sisters. By the way, re: Richies. I've been arguing with my sister today about where it was. I'm sure it was on the left going up Ligoniel, at the end of the whitewashed row, she says it was on the right. Can you confirm please before we have a falling out?

DONT FALL OUT LOL
RICHIES SHOP WAS END ROW WHITE COTTAGES  LEFT SIDE GOING TOWARDS  TRAM TERMINUS  ,OR GOING TOWARDS WOLF HILL ,  MY GRAN LIVED FEW DOORSAWAY ,
OTHER SIDE WAS RALSTONS SHOP  , SAME SIDE AS  HERONS DRAPERY SHOP , :)  POST OFFICE WAS ALSO ON  THAT SIDE 

fulton

« Reply #87 on: February 19, 2012, 01:05:22 AM »
Hi Fulton,
Thanks for your reply re.Dr's in Ligoniel.
I must be dreaming,but I thought there was another one on
the same side as the park and a clinic where we had to go to collect a
small glass bottle of orange juice concentrate and codliver oil for the baby
in the family.
I also remember a street on the same side of the park where you could
cut through to Lavens Drive?
I don't think it was Legann though.
I remember along Crumlin rd. just after the Loney(Bilston's Rd.)
there was Legmail St. Leroy St. Primrose St. then Legann St.
On opposite side Lavens Dr. Oakley St. and then Glenbank Dr.
I stand to be corrected as it's a very long time since I tread those streets. :)

G'day Newry.  Re:- the orange juice&codliver oil. We got ours from the Belfast city mission hall, opposit the Chapel. The doctor you refare to was Dr. Jackson.
When you quote the streets . Glenbank Dr. Oakley St. Lavans Dr.  You forgot the most important one! Barginnis St. HA HA. I lived there. My brother worked in the hardware/ drapery store on the corner of Primrose St. and Crumlin Rd. The places you speak of brings back memories of so long ago.Thank You.

fulton

« Reply #88 on: February 19, 2012, 01:15:07 AM »

Hi Fulton and Doffer
I've just spend half and hour replying to you Fulton and the (censored) thing went missing. I'm going to have a few (censored) problems >:D until I get used to this.

Yes my mother's youngest brother is David and they did live in a street opposite the library. I think though it was called Legane St, I seem to remember 2 streets with very similar names. Ma lost touch with David for years until she found out he had moved to Western Australia. They were going to catch up and then she became gravely ill.

I don't know where you live but I've been using Googleearth to "do a tour" of the old place. Silverstream and the park and St Mark's still look familiar but Ligoniel is unrecognizable. My husband and I paid a visit some years ago and I knew the place was no longer there (as such). It still makes me very sad.

Regards to you both, E
Hi, Elwood. It was Legane St. The other street was Legann St. It was almost opposite Oakley St.It is getting harder for me to remember, as I am past my 3 score and 10 and have not lived there for 58 years. It is getting close to my nap time!!!!!!!!! bye for now. F.

Scoop

« Reply #89 on: February 19, 2012, 10:15:15 AM »
Hiya,

Can anyone tell me what happened to the ligoneil dam is it still there? My uncle used to take me there on the back of his motorbike fishing in the summer nights in the 60s - great fun!!!!

Regards
Scoop