Author Topic: Ligoniel  (Read 143087 times)

whufc

Re: Ligoniel
« Reply #120 on: April 01, 2012, 06:35:24 PM »
HI MY AUNT WAS LIZZIE HAD LARGE FAMILY 5 BOYS JIMMY GERRY PADDY JOHN AND BILLY  2 GIRLS HETTY AND PEGGY  BILLY SAVAGE WAS CHOIRMASTER AT LOCAL CHAPEL JIMMY AND HIS WIFE ETHNA LIVED IN ETNA DRIVE  4 OF THE BOYS WENT TO AMERICA AND PEGGY TOO, MY OTHER COUSINS WERE EDWARDS LIVED IN LADBROKE DRIVE NEAR CINEMA I AM STILL IN TOUCH WITH  ETTA MULLAN

whufc

« Reply #121 on: April 01, 2012, 06:46:05 PM »
sorry that was a mistake, still getting used to all this computer lark, lol

ballysillan old boy

« Reply #122 on: April 09, 2012, 10:33:28 PM »
I used to live in Lever Street as a kid i remember Joey Crawfords shop Gallagers Chippie 

Pat McGovern

« Reply #123 on: April 11, 2012, 11:17:25 AM »
Hi Doffer

I do remember the McGintys! and I certainly remember Richies' shop . . . macaroons and Walkers Carmels. The other names aren't familiar, may have been before my time. We stayed with my granny quite a bit when were kids and spent a lot of time in Ligoniel. I remember eating vegetable soup in Mrs McGinty's and my (Great) Aunts Jane and Lizzy would often call us in for some rhubarb or an orange (quite a treat) although being so young we never really got to know these women very well. I also remember a dowager of a woman called Bella Armstrong who lent money at interest and took snuff.

You're right about it being a great place. We kids used to disappear for hours over the Bray, collecting hazelnuts, playing wee house and wee shop, etc etc. Halloween and Christmas were the BEST!  Hope to talk again soon.

Doffer:  Do you remember the Crosby's  who lived at 198 Ligoniel Rd.  Also the Short family.  My Mother was Cassie Short.

Pat McGovern

« Reply #124 on: April 11, 2012, 06:28:56 PM »
PERHAPS WE ARE RELATED MY COUSIN BILLY SAVAGE WAS CHOIRMASTER HIS BROTHER JIMMY MARRIED ETHNA AND LIVED IN ETNA DRIVE LOTS OF OTHERS EDWARDS LIVED IN LADBROKE DRIVE  I AM STILL IN TOUCH WITH ETTA  MULLAN ( NEE EDWARDS )

May, the Savage family lived at nr. 17 and I lived at nr. 27 Estoril Pk.  Your Uncle Jimmy called most days to our house to have a cup of tea and a yarn. 

frank gorman

« Reply #125 on: April 13, 2012, 06:33:41 PM »
hi my name is frank gorman just found this site..i lived in wolfhill view i have five brothers ..i have lived in liginiel all my life and have very happy memories of ligoniel..look forward to hearing from anyone.from my childhood days...or if i can help anyone out with there past looking forward to all your replys

whufc

« Reply #126 on: April 13, 2012, 06:41:54 PM »
hi frank, do you remember any mcilwaines from up there, think one used to own a hardware shop?

frank gorman

« Reply #127 on: April 13, 2012, 07:05:36 PM »
yes john billy roy kevin but sadly they are all passed away now billy had the shop..they had two sisters as well may and margrate both dead as well  at one time both john and billy both lived in wolfhill view numbers 4 and 8

DOFFER

« Reply #128 on: April 13, 2012, 08:28:41 PM »

Doffer:  Do you remember the Crosby's  who lived at 198 Ligoniel Rd.  Also the Short family.  My Mother was Cassie Short.

HI PAT  YES I REMEMBER THE CROSBYS IM SUE THEY LIVED NEXT DOOR TO MY GRAN  ON LIGONIEL RD , RE SHORTS SORRY CANT RECALL  BUT ITS BEEN NEARLY 60YRS SINCE I LIVED THERE ,,OTHER FAMILIES I RECALL ARE ,THE MCGINTIES  ,BOWLS BOULS ????? ROSS ,SKULLIONS THERE ARE MANY MORE BUT JUST NOW I CANT NAME THEM ALL I USUALLY REMEBER  NAMES JUST WHEN IM GOING TO SLEEP LOL , :)
Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning Satan shudders and says 'Oh [censored] shes awake!!'

Pat McGovern

« Reply #129 on: April 15, 2012, 10:50:42 AM »
Hi Doffer
I remember all those people you mentioned.  Do you also remember Annie Doyle also Mary Greenís wee shop .? I remember my Mammy putting me on the tram at Ardoyne which then stopped near nr. 198.  I had a wee basket in which the eggs from Grahamís farm were carried back down the road.
Mary, Nelly & Jinny Crosby were my Motherís Aunts.  Her Mother was Kate Crosby who married James Short.  Kate lived at 31 River St. and James at 11 Bismarck St..  My G.Grandmother Rachel Crosby lived (after River St.) a 52 Legnaveagh St. and then 52 Legnaveagh St. till she died in 1925.  My  grandparents lived at 117 Ligoniel Rd.,   After the death of my g.mother,  in 1913 my Mother, Cassie and her sisters Bridget & Mary plus a cousin Bridgie Patterson whose Mother Bridget (Crosby) had also died young all went to live at nr. 198. My grandfather then went off to the war along with his brothers.  One, Joseph Short, is buried in France.
I have great memories of visiting Ligoniel.  Going for walks around the Mare (?) and my Aunt Nelly buying herself snuff and honey-comb for me.  Itís certainly a long time ago but seems like only yesterday.

whufc

« Reply #130 on: April 15, 2012, 05:37:32 PM »
hi frank gorman, you certainly know your stuff! thank you. sad to hear theyve all past away. well their father willy was my dads uncle, he moved to ligoniel when he got married from sandy row. was there not another sister called eileen?

Elwood

« Reply #131 on: April 15, 2012, 11:28:10 PM »
hi my name is frank gorman just found this site..i lived in wolfhill view i have five brothers ..i have lived in liginiel all my life and have very happy memories of ligoniel..look forward to hearing from anyone.from my childhood days...or if i can help anyone out with there past looking forward to all your replys

Hi Frank

I have been going back over some family history in the last couple of months. Thanks to some great help from one of the forum members I have managed to access some old information. I have details of the marriage of my (maternal) great grandmother, Agnes Gorman to Thomas Murray in 1893. Their addresses are listed as 18 and 19 Upper Meadow St. in Ligoniel. In the 1911 Census they are listed as living in Legane St (opposite the Library) with four children. I was wondering if you know anything about this woman, is there a family connection? Her father was William Gorman. I would be glad for any additional information. E

frank gorman

« Reply #132 on: April 16, 2012, 11:58:48 AM »
HI ELWOOD MY FATHER WAS FROM HARMONEY HILL BOTTEM OF THE PLOTS BUT I HAD AN UNCLE GOERGE WHO LIVED IN THAT STREET I WILL LOOK INTO WHAT YOU ASK MIGHT TAKE A WEEK OR SO .BUT ITS GOOD TO HEAR FROM YOU. LEAVE IT WITH ME FOR A WHILE WILL GET BACK TO YOU ASAP..I AM NEW TO ALL THIS AND NOT VERY GOOD AT IT AT THE MOMENT..  FRANK

Elwood

« Reply #133 on: April 16, 2012, 11:31:21 PM »
HI ELWOOD MY FATHER WAS FROM HARMONEY HILL BOTTEM OF THE PLOTS BUT I HAD AN UNCLE GOERGE WHO LIVED IN THAT STREET I WILL LOOK INTO WHAT YOU ASK MIGHT TAKE A WEEK OR SO .BUT ITS GOOD TO HEAR FROM YOU. LEAVE IT WITH ME FOR A WHILE WILL GET BACK TO YOU ASAP..I AM NEW TO ALL THIS AND NOT VERY GOOD AT IT AT THE MOMENT..  FRANK

Thanks for the offer Frank. This woman, Agnes Murray (nee Gorman) was regarded, in our family, as a bit of a mystery. Apparently she was years older than her husband and according to my Ma, a bit of a stern old biddy in later years. One other thing I should mention which may be important, they were protestant and married at St Anne's Church of Ireland. Thanks again, Frank

Marian2012

Re:May Allen Crawford
« Reply #134 on: April 26, 2012, 03:04:56 PM »
Hi May,
 My grandma was lizzies sister, Henrietta Brown nee Edwards. We lived on the Holywood Road, my mum was Kathleen. Just looking up old names and came across this posting, brought back some memories. My grandma was married to Jimmy Brown and they had six of a family. I recognised your name when I saw it, I am assuming your mum was my mums aunt Cassie, not sure how it was spelt, just know mum called her by that name. Forgive me if I am wrong. Remember going with my mum to your mums house in Manchester many years ago. I know my grandma had another sister Annie and a brother I think. 
Marian