Author Topic: Ligoniel  (Read 140794 times)

Pat McGovern

Re:May Allen Crawford
« Reply #135 on: April 26, 2012, 03:35:11 PM »
Hi May,
 My grandma was lizzies sister, Henrietta Brown nee Edwards. We lived on the Holywood Road, my mum was Kathleen. Just looking up old names and came across this posting, brought back some memories. My grandma was married to Jimmy Brown and they had six of a family. I recognised your name when I saw it, I am assuming your mum was my mums aunt Cassie, not sure how it was spelt, just know mum called her by that name. Forgive me if I am wrong. Remember going with my mum to your mums house in Manchester many years ago. I know my grandma had another sister Annie and a brother I think. 
Marian
Marian;
I lived near Lizzie Savage and have sent through to May a copy of her memory card .  Perhaps May can send it in turn through to you.
Pat

Marian2012

Re: Ligoniel
« Reply #136 on: April 26, 2012, 04:20:32 PM »
Many thanks Pat,
Seems such a pity I did not find this forum last year when mum was here, I know she would have loved catching up with the past.
Marian

Pat McGovern

« Reply #137 on: April 26, 2012, 08:43:08 PM »
Marion:
I also found this site a bit late.  Still better late than never.
Did your Mother come from Ligoniel?  My Mother did.  I was born and lived in Ardoyne near the Savage family.

Marian2012

« Reply #138 on: April 27, 2012, 07:53:05 AM »
Hi Pat,
No we lived in Carolhill Drive off the Holywood Road with my gran. The Savages were my mums aunt and uncle, Lizzie was my grandma's sister. We used to go to visit them a lot when I was young. Jimmy was my godfather and the last time I saw him was when he came to England for my wedding in 1973. He used to travel a lot at that time back and forth to America, think he died not long after that. My mum moved house and sent him a new address but the letter came back with deceased on it.

Pat McGovern

« Reply #139 on: April 27, 2012, 08:58:44 AM »
Hi Marion
Jimmy did indeed travel a lot.  He was lonely after Lizzie died.  The first time I flew was with Jimmy.  I was going to New York and he was travelling on to Michigan.  I believe Peggy lived in Michigan and from what May has told me some of he brothers also lived there.  I never knew them as they would have been older than I.  Peggy went to the states as a war bride.  The only one of the family I remember is Billy.
If you have contact with May ask her to send through the memory card of Lizzie.  It has her photo on it.  I could send it through to you but would need your email nr.
All the best.
Pat

udini

« Reply #140 on: April 28, 2012, 02:52:02 AM »
HI ELWOOD MY FATHER WAS FROM HARMONEY HILL BOTTEM OF THE PLOTS BUT I HAD AN UNCLE GOERGE WHO LIVED IN THAT STREET I WILL LOOK INTO WHAT YOU ASK MIGHT TAKE A WEEK OR SO .BUT ITS GOOD TO HEAR FROM YOU. LEAVE IT WITH ME FOR A WHILE WILL GET BACK TO YOU ASAP..I AM NEW TO ALL THIS AND NOT VERY GOOD AT IT AT THE MOMENT..  FRANK
Frank,
I lived down Harmony Hill number 3 from 1950 till around 1959/60 then moved up to Glenbank Place. I do remember a Jimmy ? Gorman .Would that be a name in your family and do you know what house they lived in ? There was also, Adams, Granville, McCoy and others I don't recall who lived in the 8 house block that was owned by Glenbank Mill. My name , and my Dad's is Bertie Sharkie.
Who,what, where,when and why,I think that says it all.

cathy bell

« Reply #141 on: May 01, 2012, 12:44:22 AM »
Hi All
I was born in Ligoniel, left in 1957 at age 16. here are a few answers to some questions that were asked.
Scoop: the dams are still there, there are 3 dams. Boadles dam, in back of where Ewarts Mill was. then there are the Wolfhill dams, upper and lower. When I was back in Ligoniel in 2009 all the dams were being stocked with fish, there are a few fishing clubs in the area.
Elwood: There was a McMurray family that lived next door to Gallaghers Fish & Chip shop, there was a couple of sisters and just a younger brother Jim,I only knew May & Jim.
Whufe: McIlwaines, Billys wife & son & daughter still live in Ligoniel and still have the store. Roys wife & kids live in Perth Austrialia. Iam in touch with both of them.
Mary Greens wee shop was facing the Methody church, she was my mothers cousin.
Hope this helps.

ballysillan old boy

« Reply #142 on: May 01, 2012, 06:22:56 PM »
Who remembers the old Ligoniel characters like John "Squeak" Kyle or Geordie "Stoker" Palmer

DOFFER

« Reply #143 on: May 03, 2012, 11:48:05 PM »
Who remembers the old Ligoniel characters like John "Squeak" Kyle or Geordie "Stoker" Palmer

hi ballysillan  would you remember joker toland   [george] ::)
Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning Satan shudders and says 'Oh [censored] shes awake!!'

whufc

« Reply #144 on: May 04, 2012, 07:21:10 PM »
thank very much cathy bell, if your in touch if you could mention that the joss family were asking about them please

ballysillan old boy

« Reply #145 on: May 04, 2012, 08:23:11 PM »

hi ballysillan  would you remember joker toland   [george] ::)
Was only 12 when i left Ligoniel but the name rings a bell
Many a chase i got from fat Squeak after shouting at him when he was doing his rag and bone run
Stoker was always a laugh when he was drunk but yet when he was sober he was a very quiet man  :)

cathy bell

« Reply #146 on: May 07, 2012, 01:55:17 AM »
Doffer,
I remember Joker Toland, a couple of us girls used to hang around Agnes Ross's door, usually after we finished work and had our supper. Well a lot of times Joker would come over and start teasing us. One night he started hitting us on the head with his cap, he hit me one too many times and I got [censored] off, so I went and got my wee dog and told the dog to go get Joker. Joker started running with the dog after him, the dog got a hold of the [censored] of his trousers at Richys store and held on to him till he hit the Methody Church. Every body heard Joker yelling on the Ligoniel Rd. We all had a good laugh untill I went home, Joker had gone and complained to my mother so when I went in our house I got a few thumps on the head. it was worth the thumps, Joker never bothered us again. My mother worked in Ewarts Mill so she would send me for Joker to go down to the turn of the road to pay our coal bill, he was always available for wee odd jobs.

DOFFER

« Reply #147 on: May 07, 2012, 07:36:54 PM »
Doffer,
I remember Joker Toland, a couple of us girls used to hang around Agnes Ross's door, usually after we finished work and had our supper. Well a lot of times Joker would come over and start teasing us. One night he started hitting us on the head with his cap, he hit me one too many times and I got [censored] off, so I went and got my wee dog and told the dog to go get Joker. Joker started running with the dog after him, the dog got a hold of the [censored] of his trousers at Richys store and held on to him till he hit the Methody Church. Every body heard Joker yelling on the Ligoniel Rd. We all had a good laugh untill I went home, Joker had gone and complained to my mother so when I went in our house I got a few thumps on the head. it was worth the thumps, Joker never bothered us again. My mother worked in Ewarts Mill so she would send me for Joker to go down to the turn of the road to pay our coal bill, he was always available for wee odd jobs.

HO CATHY  LONG TIME YEA ,SAY HELLO TO  AGNES FOR ME ,   JOKER WAS MY UNCLE  MY MUMS BROTHER , HE WAS AN AWFUL CASE  FOR KIDDING AROUND , LAST TIME I SAW HIM WAS BACK IN THE LATE 70S  MY HUBBY AND I WENT TO BELFAST  AND WENT UP LIGONIEL AS AT THAT TIME HE &HIS FAMILY STILL LIVED THERE  TO CUT A LONG STORY SHORT HE WAS OUT ONLY HIS WIFE MARIE IN THE HOUSE SHE TOLD US HE WAS DOWN THE PUB NEAR THE CHAPEL ,OFF I WENT AS I LOVED JOKER  THERE GOD HELP HIM SITTING ALONE WITH A HALF EN , WHEN I WALKED IN HE WAS UP TELLING ALL IN SUNDRY  HOW HE SAVED MY LIFE AS A BABY WHICH HE DID ,WE HAD THE BEST LAUGH EVER WHEN HE ASKED MY HUBBY A TEETOTLER  TO HAVE A DRINK  WHICH MUCH TO MY SURPRISE HE SAID YES TO ,,,,,,,,,,,,JOKER GOT HIM PORTER YOU SHOULD HAVE SEEN MY MANS FACE TURN GREEN WHEN HE TOOK A SWIG , SADLY I NEVER SAW JOKER AFTER THAT TIME   HE DIED IN THE 90S , BUT HE HELPED RAISE ME WHEN I LIVED WITH MY GRAN TOLAND ,,,,,,,,,,,,,GOOD TIMES ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,BTW HE USED TO LOVE TEASING ELONER  SCULLION FEW DOORS FROM AGNES ,,,,,,,,,,,,,WHERE HAVE THE YEARS GONE  ,STILL WE HAVE THE MEMORIES , :-*
Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning Satan shudders and says 'Oh [censored] shes awake!!'

liz17

Re: Memories of Lower Ligoniel Rd./Crumlin Rd.and Ballysillan.
« Reply #148 on: June 23, 2012, 11:42:26 AM »
Hi Linda the  shop inbetween Lynas and Post office was the hardware store Eileen's bakery was second from first, I worked in the Milky bar next to sweet shop the same people owned both, my Mummy and Daddy were friends with them they used to cook in the basement the bar was next to the milky bar. I also remember the bread strike I have a photo somewhere with my mum in waiting for some bread. :(

liz17

Re: Memories of Lower Ligoniel Rd./Crumlin Rd.and Ballysillan.
« Reply #149 on: June 23, 2012, 11:56:17 AM »
I went to St Marks school it was a Church school I later got married in St Marks Church in 66. Everything is coming back about shops and names maybe not in order but still there, Remember by the bus stop where they baked for Eileen's bakery, after that it became a launderette am I right?.