Author Topic: Ligoniel  (Read 142931 times)

Brillpaul

Re: Ligoniel
« Reply #180 on: December 02, 2012, 07:07:50 PM »
Hi
While searching for 117 Ligoniel Road I happened to come across this post and it has sparked a number of happy memories and brought up some familiar names. When I was 4 I moved here with my sister Anne, father Jim and mother Ella Rusk. My name is Paul Rusk and 60 years later my memory has certainly been stirred. I noted someone had grandparents who lived before us at 117. When we arrived there was no road at Bill's Loney up the side of St. Marks (just a swampy track). There was no electric, the windows had iron bars and water came from springs from the hills. Our next door neighbour was Mrs Alexander who lived in her own in a cottage over the fields. Her coal was delivered past our house in a wheelbarrow pulled by rope over the fields by the coal man's 2 sons.
I went to Ligoniel primary beside Mrs Campbell's shop. My own grandfather had a shop at one time next to the police station. This reminds me of a time a friend and I found a time box with some cheap jewellery near the many pigeon lofts nearby. We promptly took it to the station believing it to be the Crown Jewels! Ligoniel certainly encouraged our imagination as we always seemed to have plenty of time to find our own amusement. Here's hoping for more pleasant memories to return - Welshman, Isaac the barber an' all!
 :)

rpbert1

« Reply #181 on: December 14, 2012, 12:05:29 AM »
I lived in Silverstream Parade born 1953 and moved from Silverstream about 1980 down to Alliance, remember going to Isaccs in Ligoneil, and playing with the games he had where you got the ball in like a hand held pinball machine, was great fun then, not so sure the kids today would thinkso LOL

gordy

Re: Memories of Lower Ligoniel Rd./Crumlin Rd.and Ballysillan.
« Reply #182 on: December 17, 2012, 08:28:22 PM »
Thank you Gordy for jolting my memory.

I remember the name Irene Dunbar,perhaps from Wheatfield School  :-\ .

Can you remember the shops on the opposite side of the road?
O'Hara's bakery sat a little way back from the road,then there were some more shops,one of which
sold fish and dulce.I can't recall the names now.

Regards, R.

Yes R, I believe that Irene went to Wheatfield Primary.

There was a fish shop and next door was a fruit and veg shop owned by Alec Kennedy.

Kind regards,

Gordy

Brillpaul

« Reply #183 on: December 22, 2012, 10:27:27 PM »
Vaguely remember that pinball game but certainly the boxing photos and the odd tune on the fiddle from Isaac. Saw a guy on the news who got electric for the first time - I can remember the magic of that. We had candles and my job was to light the old Tilley lamps after school. Grahams in the village sold paraffin and charge acid batteries for our radio and that was in the 1960's!  ::)

rpbert1

« Reply #184 on: December 27, 2012, 09:40:15 PM »
Frank,
I lived down Harmony Hill number 3 from 1950 till around 1959/60 then moved up to Glenbank Place. I do remember a Jimmy ? Gorman .Would that be a name in your family and do you know what house they lived in ? There was also, Adams, Granville, McCoy and others I don't recall who lived in the 8 house block that was owned by Glenbank Mill. My name , and my Dad's is Bertie Sharkie.

I did Gateboy in Glenbank mill for a year back in the late 60s, remember the houses in Harmony Hill, remember the Granvilles esp Harry who was slightly older than myself and the Gormans ,and Adams def rings a bell . all great pigeon men

MMcM

« Reply #185 on: February 02, 2013, 12:37:06 AM »
 Hi All,
Just wanted to say I have thoroughly enjoyed reading your memories on this thread.
I don't have much to add as most of what I remember has already been said.
I lived in S/S for 10 years, left in 1963. Attended St Marks primary then Everton, also went to Sunday school the Brownies and Girl Guides at Ballysillan Church.
I have fond memories of teacher Robert Lamont playing the piano and teaching us to sing "The Ashgrove" -"Down yonder green valley where streamlets meander when twilight is fading I pensively rove" _ lovely to escape there on a hot day....
Some of the school dinners also left an impression, the stew was ok but the mashed spuds with black lumps (yuk) put me off mashed potato for life -  I rarely cook mashed spuds even now and when I do I become obsessional mashing and whipping 'till no lumps remain.   Cheers and out MMcM

canadian sodafarl

« Reply #186 on: February 02, 2013, 03:37:20 AM »
What great memories. .Thank you for sharing. .Billy Scott

Hi Billy have you moved yet i was just thinking about you CSF.

brian77

« Reply #187 on: February 03, 2013, 09:50:57 AM »
Thanks for these memories I also grew up in Silverstream Terrace (RSL) and remember the Portlocks, Bells etc. do you remember the Portlocks giant tortoise's? We lived directly facing Mallons pub before it was burnt in the early seventies, the shop facing Ballsillan chruch was called Kellys I done the paper deliveries for him and was in the shop getting my papers when he was shot, he was also attacked and pistol whipped a few weeks prior to his death and I was in the shop at that time too. Another name that springs to mind that lived in Harmony Hill was Linda Lunney who had a pet fox. The delivery boy for Hillarys grocery store who rode the black bike was my brother Paul.
Brian

MMcM

« Reply #188 on: February 04, 2013, 06:37:18 AM »
Hi Brian,
I remember The Bells, we called Mr Bell dinger Bell (Maeve was a good friend of mine), at that stage he was the only one in the street who had a car.
I also remember Portlocks; Mr Portlock was an avid birdwatcher (the feathered type), Pearce's, Rays, Duncans, Milligans, a family with three sons I think their name was Baird? Cunninghams, Rogers &Thompsons.
It was a long time ago, but I enjoyed my time in Silverstream.
Cheers,
MMcM

John Kelly

Re: Ligoniel The barber's name was Henderson
« Reply #189 on: February 06, 2013, 11:42:54 AM »
Shillings,
             All my father's side of the family came from ligoniel-my aunt still lives there.It has changed alot over the years-lost the village attitude-shame.He and my uncles told me all kinds of stories about growing up in it.I still carry fond memories of visiting my Granny in  Ligoniel.

MMcM

« Reply #190 on: February 06, 2013, 12:13:47 PM »
Hi
While searching for 117 Ligoniel Road I happened to come across this post and it has sparked a number of happy memories and brought up some familiar names. When I was 4 I moved here with my sister Anne, father Jim and mother Ella Rusk. My name is Paul Rusk and 60 years later my memory has certainly been stirred. I noted someone had grandparents who lived before us at 117. When we arrived there was no road at Bill's Loney up the side of St. Marks (just a swampy track). There was no electric, the windows had iron bars and water came from springs from the hills. Our next door neighbour was Mrs Alexander who lived in her own in a cottage over the fields. Her coal was delivered past our house in a wheelbarrow pulled by rope over the fields by the coal man's 2 sons.
I went to Ligoniel primary beside Mrs Campbell's shop. My own grandfather had a shop at one time next to the police station. This reminds me of a time a friend and I found a time box with some cheap jewellery near the many pigeon lofts nearby. We promptly took it to the station believing it to be the Crown Jewels! Ligoniel certainly encouraged our imagination as we always seemed to have plenty of time to find our own amusement. Here's hoping for more pleasant memories to return - Welshman, Isaac the barber an' all!
Hi Paul, do you know what happened to Stuart Cathcart?
Cheers MMCM.

Pat McGovern

« Reply #191 on: February 06, 2013, 07:04:31 PM »
Hi
Hi Paul
My Grandparents, James Short & Catherine Crosby Short are shown in the 1911 census as living at 117 Ligoniel Rd. with 5 children plus 2 lodgers.  I don't know when they moved into the house but I think probably late 1907 or early 1908.  My Mother was born in Scotland in 1907 and they returned to Ligoniel when she was still a baby.  Catherine died a couple of yrs later.  James went off to the war and the children went to live with Catherine's sisters, Mary, Nelly & Jinny Crosby, at 198 Ligoniel Rd.  So I would reckon there would have been other families between then and when you went to live there.  Where was 117?  I know 198 was in the row of white houses.

DOFFER

« Reply #192 on: February 06, 2013, 07:49:14 PM »
HELLO PAT , I LIVED WITH MY GRAN LIGONIEL RD  AND IM SURE IT WAS NEXT DOOR TO THE CROSBY FAMILY , 196,THE FAMILY WERE CALLED TOLAND ,THERE WAS JUST ABOVE THEM THE ROSS FAMILY ,THE SCULLIANS ,MCGINTIES, THE BOALS ,
I WENT TO WOLFHILL SCHOOL 1943, BUT FINELY LEFT BELFAST 1957 ,
YES WE ALL LIVED IN THE WHITE ROW ,BILLY RICHIES SHOP BEING ON END JUST BEFORE THE METHIDIST CHUCH, BTW THERES ANOTHER THREAD WITH GRAT PHOTOS OF OLD LIGONIEL  WELL THE LIGONIEL I REMEMBER ,,
Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning Satan shudders and says 'Oh [censored] shes awake!!'

Pat McGovern

« Reply #193 on: February 07, 2013, 03:43:48 PM »
HELLO PAT , I LIVED WITH MY GRAN LIGONIEL RD  AND IM SURE IT WAS NEXT DOOR TO THE CROSBY FAMILY , 196,THE FAMILY WERE CALLED TOLAND ,THERE WAS JUST ABOVE THEM THE ROSS FAMILY ,THE SCULLIANS ,MCGINTIES, THE BOALS ,
I WENT TO WOLFHILL SCHOOL 1943, BUT FINELY LEFT BELFAST 1957 ,
YES WE ALL LIVED IN THE WHITE ROW ,BILLY RICHIES SHOP BEING ON END JUST BEFORE THE METHIDIST CHUCH, BTW THERES ANOTHER THREAD WITH GRAT PHOTOS OF OLD LIGONIEL  WELL THE LIGONIEL I REMEMBER ,,

Hi
There's a chance that we met at some-time in the past.  My Mother's aunts lived there till they died.  Nelly in 1956, Mary 1964 and Jinny 1976.  I loved to visit them.  My Mam put me on the tram at Ardoyne and I got out almost at their door.  They were great at handwork.  Making the altar linens and they crocheted the loveliest clothes for my doll.  I had the best dressed doll in Ardoyne.  I went for walks around the Mare (spelling ?) and there was a shop that sold yellow-man.  So a bag of it for me and snuff for my Aunt Nelly.  I remember the jawbox ( now fashioably known known as the Belfast Sink) and the mangle out in the yard.  Then at the end of my visit I got sixpence and a little basket filled with eggs, each one wrapped in newspaper,  to take back down the Road.
I know all the names you mentioned.  I haven't been in Ligoniel for years but now and then take a wee Google tour around it.  I've seen the Ligoniel photos you mentioned and have printed them out.

Brillpaul

« Reply #194 on: February 07, 2013, 09:32:20 PM »
Hi
117 is up the side of St Marks (C of I) opposite the top entrance of Ligoniel Park past the present Ligoniel Primary School but there were only fields around it when I arrived age 4 or 5. As far as I know there had been 2 sisters living there before us. There was a deep crack on one of the bedroom doors apparently from a fireman's axe to find one of the sisters who had died there. I'm sorry  I don't know their names. Hope this helps.