Author Topic: Ligoniel  (Read 140883 times)

John Corbett

Re: Ligoniel
« Reply #210 on: March 08, 2013, 08:30:42 PM »
I remember the Graceys in Finlay Street. There was Betty & Shirley. They were a large and good family.
Sands

Slimbird

« Reply #211 on: April 08, 2013, 12:36:32 AM »
My parents were both from Ligoniel. Frank Noble and Maureen Rowley (Mary Jane). Both moved, maaried and settle in England. We spent lots of Summers in Ligoniel, playing with kids who couldn't understand us. We'd stay with my Granny Rowley, Ligoniel Road but my Granny Noble lived on Legboy Street. Remember taking stale bread to Grahams farm and they'd give us money for it. There was a caravan behind the houses on Ligoniel Road that sold sweets and that strange brown lemonade... brown !!. Great great times .
Both my Mum and Dad have passed away now. My Mum 7 yrs ago and and Dad just last week. Just feeling the need to reconnect with my roots here. Anyone remembers them it would be lovely to hear from you.
Me and my husband had the best ever weekend there last yr. People are so friendly.x

fulton

« Reply #212 on: April 08, 2013, 05:46:32 AM »
My parents were both from Ligoniel. Frank Noble and Maureen Rowley (Mary Jane). Both moved, maaried and settle in England. We spent lots of Summers in Ligoniel, playing with kids who couldn't understand us. We'd stay with my Granny Rowley, Ligoniel Road but my Granny Noble lived on Legboy Street. Remember taking stale bread to Grahams farm and they'd give us money for it. There was a caravan behind the houses on Ligoniel Road that sold sweets and that strange brown lemonade... brown !!. Great great times .
Both my Mum and Dad have passed away now. My Mum 7 yrs ago and and Dad just last week. Just feeling the need to reconnect with my roots here. Anyone remembers them it would be lovely to hear from you.
Me and my husband had the best ever weekend there last yr. People are so friendly.x
  G'day Slimbard. Did your Granny have two brothers one Tom and one Norman. One of them died while still in his teens. If so I knew them.

fulton

« Reply #213 on: April 08, 2013, 05:48:02 AM »
  Sorry it should be Slimbird!

John Corbett

« Reply #214 on: April 08, 2013, 10:11:31 AM »
I remember Ned & Peadar Noble. The Rowleys lived on the front of the road in the "white-washed" houses. They were a quiet, good family. I think a daughter was drowned in an awful tragedy? I am a Corbett and there were several families of us living in Ligoniel.

Sands

Slimbird

« Reply #215 on: April 08, 2013, 10:32:37 AM »
There the ones but i don't know of a daughter drowning unless it was a family thing that's never been mentioned. Margaret and Pat are still in Ligoniel and Tom lives just outside. My Mum, Maureen passed away 07 April 2006 and my Dad, Frank passed away 02 April (last week). Not sure if you remember Louis Noble, his youngest brother?. He's coming over for the funeral so i'll mention this to him. Thank you so much for replying. I thought it would be a stab in the dark but reading how close knit Ligoniel was, i was very much mistaken.
So where are living now John ?.
Take care and thanks again

DOFFER

« Reply #216 on: April 08, 2013, 10:52:29 AM »

HI JOHN  ARE YOU RELATED TO THE CORBETTS FROM THE BACK ST ,,,,,,,,,,,MY AUNTS WENT AROUND WITH  SOME CORBETT GIRLS , THEY ALL LIVED FRONT OF RD  BELOW RICHIES SHOP ,,,,,,,,,,,THE TOLAND GIRLS  JEAN, KATHY, MARGARET  ALL WENT TO PICS AND DANCES TOGATHER , ALL TOLAND GIRLS WENT TO ENGLAND  AND STAYED ,,,,,,THIS WAS IN LATE 40S EARLY 50S ,,,,,,NORA AND  ELENOR SCULLION WERE ALSO FRIENDS OF THEIRS ,,,,,,,,,,,,,IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY  WHEN MY MUM &DAD MARRIED IT WAS A CORBETT GIRL THAT STOOD FOR THEM 1937,LOL,,
marg,
Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning Satan shudders and says 'Oh [censored] shes awake!!'

John Corbett

« Reply #217 on: April 08, 2013, 11:07:33 AM »
Hi Doffer.
I am most certainly related to the Corbetts. There were several families of Corbetts in Ligoniel and were all related. My dad Patrick married Teresa Sands and after we left Lesley St., we lived with my granny Sands at 244 Ligoniel Road.
I knew Nora & 'Kittles' Scullion as well as brother Stevie. I also knew the Toland family and remember a Toland lady marrying Henry Scullion late in life.
Sands

John Corbett

« Reply #218 on: April 08, 2013, 11:10:55 AM »
Hi Slimbird?
Please accept my sympathies on the loss of your dad (RIP)

I left Ligoniel in 1974 and now live in Northamptonshire.
If it hadn't been for the 'troubles' - I would never have left Ligoniel.
Sands

Slimbird

« Reply #219 on: April 08, 2013, 07:33:09 PM »
Hi John.

Thank you for that.

My Dad was the same. He never returned other than for his Mothers funeral. So sad that many families felt forced to split and leave families and their country for the madness of the troubles, and something i shall never be able to understand. x

Slimbird

« Reply #220 on: April 09, 2013, 01:43:08 PM »
Hi John
My Aunt Margaret remembers you, and you leaving to go live in England.

Fulton - I'll ask my Aunt for you regarding my Grannys brothers.
XX

gismo

« Reply #221 on: April 10, 2013, 12:33:13 AM »
hi honestmay t know its a long time since i was on this thead and i said about a girl i met from silver stream that i met in the savoy u asked was her name roberta moody it may have been she was a lovely dark haired girl who had been sadly contracted polio when she was young.which left her with a weak leg and she had to wear callapers it a long time ago another time another place regards gismo btw i was in my twenties at the time

poogle

« Reply #222 on: April 11, 2013, 12:20:45 AM »
Slimbird sorry to hear about Frank.
The last time I saw your Dad was at  my Grannie Noble's funeral.
He stayed at our house with Bernard and Ned.
I believe that was the last time  all the  Noble clan came together.
My Da was Roy.

I will keep you and Uncle Frank in my prayers.

Slimbird

« Reply #223 on: April 15, 2013, 10:18:01 AM »
Hi there
Wow.. talk about turning a negative into a positive. Can't believe my Dad didn't keep in touch with his family and what he's missed out on over the years. You'll probably know this already but Louis and Anne were over for the funeral. Such lovely people. I've been chatting to their daughter, Julie, and she told me that your Dad was her favourite Uncle. Louis filled in some of the gaps that my Dad never told us about.. our Grand parents and Ned being such great singers, having accomplished sports people and story attached to the Hills, to name a few !!.
Me and my younger sister, Lyn came across for my Granny Noble's funeral and we stayed with my Granny Rowley. I do recall seeing our Granny Noble and remember her being a big character.
Me and my husband (Joe) were over in Belfast last October and had the best weekend ever. We're thinking of coming over for the May bank holiday (the end one).
I know in time i'll get my head around my Dad's passing, just feels rubiish at the minute. He was 86 and his health was failing, to want anymore would have been selfish. He'd developed diabetes and had complications with his circulation. He had a great life and had such a sharp mind right up til the end.I'm sure he was no different from the rest of the Noble clan, having more character in his little finger than most people have in their enire body. Sure they'll all be up there now drinking endless cups of tea, catching up.
Thank you for replying. It's comforting to hear from everyone
Take care
Sharon

poogle

« Reply #224 on: April 16, 2013, 05:08:55 AM »
Sharon,

When my father died,I got the call here in the states at work and it took the legs right from under me.It left a massive hole in my heart and yes I agree it was rubbish.
But somewhere around 6 months,it all changed.Since then when I think of my father,I smile and my heart warms.The good times stay and the death although it is still there doesn't seem to cloud the memories.

At our grannie Noble's funeral,I got to hear the best piece of opera ever preformed.
Ned,John Penny(another part of the family) and my Da performed from the Makido-out of this world.

As for talent,your grannie Noble made the best bread,-soda bread,potato bread,fresh made pancakes,wheat bread.
Your Uncle Paeder inherited this-without doubt and without bias the greatest baker in Belfast.

I miss them all and it is a shame that they never all back together again.I would have loved that:The story telling,the singing and the craic would have been epic.

Eamonn.