Author Topic: Ligoniel  (Read 140916 times)

fulton

Re: Memories of Lower Ligoniel Rd./Crumlin Rd.and Ballysillan.
« Reply #240 on: May 21, 2013, 01:08:33 AM »

You're probably right. here's one I took yesterday from Glenbank park looking straight down the Crumlin Rd,. as far as Ardoyne.
G'day Cyclops. Thank you so much for the photo. It brings back some wonderful memories.Many,many times I walked through that park to get to the glenn, and have a swim in the old dam. A boy lived in the first house on the left.He and I were in the same class in school, (St. Marks) His name Tom Crosby.

cyclops

« Reply #241 on: May 21, 2013, 06:27:55 AM »
Hi fulton,

I'm glad you enjoyed the photo. I remember the old dam well and had many hours fun around here.
In an earlier post I mentioned that my wife had worked in Alex Kennedys fruit shop on the front of the road.
In this photo you can see a family group walking down the street. They had just been in the park with their kids
and were heading home.   Just about where they are in the photo was Alex Kennedys house. Alex was my wifes uncle
and I've been in his house many times. Alex died a few years ago and his little shop is now an off licence liquor store.
Some people might consider that to be progress.

fulton

« Reply #242 on: May 22, 2013, 06:52:32 AM »
Hi, Cyclops.
Did Alex Kennedy at one time sell his fruit and vegies. from what looked like a stable, in Le Roy St. I remember in the early 50s my mother sending me to buy potatoes.
It was on the right hand side, near where Le Roy and Primrose St's. meet, It had a very large wooden door. with a small door incerted for people to come and go. . I am testing my memory! the early 50s is a long time ago. ;)

liza

Re: Ligoniel
« Reply #243 on: July 18, 2013, 05:28:30 PM »
 :smitten: I was madly in love with Louis Noble when I was 7 or 8 years old !!!Bet he won't even remember me !! sighhhh Love this site

stanley acheson

« Reply #244 on: July 26, 2013, 05:51:35 PM »
Anyone from Ligoniel on here, got any old Stories from the Ballysilliam Road or Silvertream from Back in the Day  ;)
HI ,I LIVED IN SIVLER STREAM TERRACE,FROM 1953 TO 1970.I REMEMBER HERBIE MCAVOYS WEE SHOP&LYNAS,S NEWSPAPER SHOP,MRS YOUNGS GROCERY SHOP @ THE TOR,BILLY SPIDERS SHOP(THATS WHAT WE CALLED HIM) THE COBWEB,CHINKY GRAHAMS BIKE SHOP,GEORGE HILLARYS , SANDY OHARAS BESIDE THE POST OFFICE , HEARNS DRAPERY THE MAYFAIRSWEET SHOP, BOY I,LL TELL YOU WHAT,MONEY WENT FURTHER THEN THAN IT DOES NOWREMEMBER JIMMY OCONNERS FISH AN CHIP SHOP,APLATE OF CHIPS & A COKE FOR A SHILLING,HAPPY DAYS

bookie1971

« Reply #245 on: September 11, 2013, 03:31:02 PM »

I remember along Crumlin rd. just after the Loney(Bilston's Rd.)
there was Legmail St. Leroy St. Primrose St. then Legann St.
On opposite side Lavens Dr. Oakley St. and then Glenbank Dr.
I stand to be corrected as it's a very long time since I tread those streets. :)

Hi, I'm new here and just reading through all these lovely remembrances. My dad grew up in Ligoniel and I'm researching a novel set there, so all your recollections are great to read. I think the disused mill with the river flowing through it was called the Bleachworks, and my dad said the kids called the river The Bleachie.

My dad grew up on Oakley from birth to age of 19 or so when he went to sea and ended up in Canada, where the family is now. They were Murrays--George, Evelyn, and Margaret. They went to St. Marks. Anyone know them?

RSL

« Reply #246 on: September 12, 2013, 12:34:03 PM »
Hi Bookie1971, and welcome.
Good luck with your book.I hope you get all the information that you need.
I remember Oakley street but not your Dad's name.The only family that I recall from there were the Cathcarts.
I also attended St.Marks from 1955-1960 so if your relatives attended those years we would have crossed
paths.regards,RSL.

RSL

« Reply #247 on: September 12, 2013, 12:39:11 PM »
Hi Stanley,
Welcome to the forum.There is a photo of one of your old neighbours that you may remember,on the Everton
thread,page six. regardsRSL.

bookie1971

« Reply #248 on: September 12, 2013, 01:34:50 PM »
Hi Bookie1971, and welcome.
Good luck with your book.I hope you get all the information that you need.
I remember Oakley street but not your Dad's name.The only family that I recall from there were the Cathcarts.
I also attended St.Marks from 1955-1960 so if your relatives attended those years we would have crossed
paths.regards,RSL.

Thanks, RSL. My dad went to Everton as well. They were orphaned at an early age (he was 10 in 56, and his sisters a bit older), and lived in the house with their granny. He continued to live there alone after everyone moved out. I'm particularly interested in stories about the neighbourhood just before the Troubles got underway. The mid to late 60s. My understanding is things weren't as bad up there as in the lower west. My name is George, too, by the way. :)

Slohaw

« Reply #249 on: September 13, 2013, 03:43:16 PM »
Hi - I went to St Marks National school in 1947 for 1 year because I could not get into Carrs Glen Primary even though I lived in Joanmount Gardens, which was only about 50/60 metres from the back gate. I had to walk up to top of Oldpark Road, turn left on to Ballysillan Park. Once I passed Pop Lennons shop, the road changed into a narrow country road up to the Bilson Road (then called the Loney).
Once my mother left me to school she would go to her half brothers shop (my Uncles) 909 Crumlin Road, which was just opposite Ligoniel Road. It was called "The Cobweb". My uncles name was Billy Graham but always known as  Billy Cobweb.
My, never to be forgotten, memory of St Marks is the class in the playground, in a circle, singing and doing the actions of THIS IS THE WAY WE COMB OUR HAIR   WASH OUR FACE ------ WASH OUR HANDS etc.
On entering the classroom for the first time, i can remember the smell of buns or scones baking in an oven.
These are GREATTTTTTTTTT memories

Slohaw

« Reply #250 on: September 13, 2013, 04:43:10 PM »
My memories of the shops on Right Hand Side of the Crumlin Road after the bend in the road at Glenbank were, A bakery set back a bit off the road, Launderette, O'Haras Bakery(Loved their Baps and Chocolate based Paris buns, Then was Primrose Street, Then Herons hardware shop, then small confectionary shop, Johnny McBride (Shoemaker), O'Connors pub, next came Leroy Street, George Hillarys (Grocers), Hamiltons (Chemist), "The Cobweb" confectionary, snuff, fags (my Uncles - after he retired the Chemists bought the shop to expand it into what it is today), Jim Graham (Cycles,charged accumators[large batteries], Jim also had a Blacksmiths through an entry off Legmail Street, McIlroys (shoe repairer), next was Legmail Street. A block on up there was McAvoys (confectonary & ice cream), next was a small road, then a Co-Op store  :o

may mccomiskey

« Reply #251 on: September 14, 2013, 01:03:58 AM »
hi bookie1971 I was born in 1942 lived in Oakley st about 54yrs,i know ur family well ,I am in contact with ur aunt evelyn,if there is anything I can help you with you are most welcome. I think you have been in my home a few years ago with your dad George.you are welcome to contact me for any information I can give you.there is also a post on here from a paul rusk who I think I recall from st marks school, he has a picture of a house which was up bills loney well I live in front of that house, im sad to say it is the shell of the house he would remember,i hope he reads this post.

may mccomiskey

« Reply #252 on: September 14, 2013, 01:26:46 AM »
hi bookie 1971, should have said the bleach works was called glenbank bleach green it was just 1 street away from Oakley st ,a lot of the people from the turn of the road worked there [as I did] past the bleach green was called harmony it was just like the country-side, it was all fields, your aunt evelyn and our friends often went up through these to divis mountain and a place called robins well. it was a good time to live here then as it was before the troubles.i have a photo of harmony and the row of white washed cottages which the workers from glenbank lived in but I don't know how to up-load a photo onto this site but I will keep trying to put it on.

fulton

« Reply #253 on: September 14, 2013, 02:09:42 AM »
G'day Slohaw. Thanks for the memories.  I went to St. Marks from 1944 until 1952. I would have been there during your year.  I remember Billy Graham very well. During the time we had to have coupons for sweets, I was always trying to put it over him, and try to get more sweets than I was entitled too. (he always won.). I remember while on a school camp in Dundrum , Billy's mother sent me a parcel of sweets, (bless her).  The small sweet shop next to Herons was known to us as Granny Porters. The Launderette in the early days was a ladies hairdressing salon, and before that it lay empty for many years. Jim Graham was a good friend of my older brother, they did a lot of cycling together. Jim Grahams father Tommy was the blacksmith. Many a time I took horses for old Sam Gordon to Tommy to be shod , On many occasions Jim would swing the sledge hammer for his Dad. :) Once again thanks for the memories.
Fulton. 

fulton

« Reply #254 on: September 14, 2013, 11:21:23 AM »
hi bookie 1971, should have said the bleach works was called glenbank bleach green it was just 1 street away from Oakley st ,a lot of the people from the turn of the road worked there [as I did] past the bleach green was called harmony it was just like the country-side, it was all fields, your aunt evelyn and our friends often went up through these to divis mountain and a place called robins well. it was a good time to live here then as it was before the troubles.i have a photo of harmony and the row of white washed cottages which the workers from glenbank lived in but I don't know how to up-load a photo onto this site but I will keep trying to put it on.
  G'day May, I noted on some of the posts mention of Oakley St. Lavans Drive. do you remember the next one up Barginnis St. That's where I lived, and I attended St. Marks school. Barginnis St. has been nocked down many years ago.