Author Topic: Ligoniel  (Read 140627 times)

fulton

Re: Ligoniel
« Reply #255 on: September 14, 2013, 11:24:55 AM »
hi bookie 1971, should have said the bleach works was called glenbank bleach green it was just 1 street away from Oakley st ,a lot of the people from the turn of the road worked there [as I did] past the bleach green was called harmony it was just like the country-side, it was all fields, your aunt evelyn and our friends often went up through these to divis mountain and a place called robins well. it was a good time to live here then as it was before the troubles.i have a photo of harmony and the row of white washed cottages which the workers from glenbank lived in but I don't know how to up-load a photo onto this site but I will keep trying to put it on.
I also worked in Glenbank bleach green for a little while. (in the dye house)

RSL

« Reply #256 on: September 14, 2013, 01:02:28 PM »
Hi Fulton,
I remember Barginnis St.Sad to hear it is no longer there.Did it have a little shop at the top end or was
that Oakley St.?

Welcome May, Good to hear from new posters.
I remember"Bill's Loney"and also knew the Rusk family.Hope Paul reads your post.
Did you know Anne Gillespie when you lived in Oakley St?I think she lived with her Granny.
We also played up Harmony hill.I remember when it snowed in the hills there and completely changed
the landscape.Was an adventure to find our way back to Silverstream!Of course our Mum had no
idea that we had wandered so far away. :)

may mccomiskey

« Reply #257 on: September 15, 2013, 12:00:15 AM »
hi fulton, I knew quite a few people in barginess st one of my best friends was Margaret coulter,she had 2 sisters, betty and dolly and a brother Jackie.i remember martin mc cloy his family went to Australia.bobby and Wincislson mc aleer their dad was Charlie he was a butcher.the wilsons jimmy,charlie,dorothy and francis. Malcolm Campbell and his sister Maureen,andy and tommy fleming,the mc Reynolds,the st along the top legmore st ,bobby and jim simpson the gowdys the rocks .this is bringing so many happy memories back for me ,I mis -spelt Wilson mc aleer's name.im sure you would remember a few from Oakley st.do you recall the ringland's ivan,adrian and iris I keep in touch with iris in usa ,I have a school photo of iris's class and one of my own about 1948-9 im sure you would know ones on them.i went to st marks 1946-58 worked in white loft in glenbank about 7 yrs.it's so sad nearly all I have mentioned are all gone,the turn of the road was the best place ever,it has changed so much, I still live in the area ,just a bit further up crumlin rd.if there is anything I can tell you about here just ask,i have viewed these posts so many times a few I know [them or their families] but I always held back,its good to talk to any one from t.o.r

may mccomiskey

« Reply #258 on: September 15, 2013, 12:06:57 AM »
R S L  good to talk to you, the shop you mentioned was at the top of barginess st ,the owner was George crossett, if there is anything you wish to know just ask ,I have passed my 3 score and 10 but thank god my memory is good.

may mccomiskey

« Reply #259 on: September 15, 2013, 12:11:58 AM »
R S L I did know anne gillispe [mis-spelt]her granny was mrs fleming they lived across the street from me [lovely family] I hope paul rusk sees these posts ,i'm going to take a picture of his house and try to post it on here.

bookie1971

« Reply #260 on: September 15, 2013, 01:45:47 AM »
hi bookie1971 I was born in 1942 lived in Oakley st about 54yrs,i know ur family well ,I am in contact with ur aunt evelyn,if there is anything I can help you with you are most welcome. I think you have been in my home a few years ago with your dad George.you are welcome to contact me for any information I can give you.there is also a post on here from a paul rusk who I think I recall from st marks school, he has a picture of a house which was up bills loney well I live in front of that house, im sad to say it is the shell of the house he would remember,i hope he reads this post.

Hi May,

Thanks for your note! I remember our visit. It was all a blur while I was there. I want to come back and walk around for a few days. Maybe in the spring. I sent my dad the link to this forum, but he may not post. I'm enjoying reading people's remembrances. Little shop names and details are making my book all the more authentic.

I'll get in touch with Auntie Evelyn to get your contact information. This kind of place makes the internet worthwhile.

Best,
George

fulton

« Reply #261 on: September 15, 2013, 01:57:20 AM »
Hi Fulton,
I remember Barginnis St.Sad to hear it is no longer there.Did it have a little shop at the top end or was
that Oakley St.?

Welcome May, Good to hear from new posters.
I remember"Bill's Loney"and also knew the Rusk family.Hope Paul reads your post.
Did you know Anne Gillespie when you lived in Oakley St?I think she lived with her Granny.
We also played up Harmony hill.I remember when it snowed in the hills there and completely changed
the landscape.Was an adventure to find our way back to Silverstream!Of course our Mum had no
idea that we had wandered so far away. :)
The little shop you speak of was at the top of Barginnis St. In my time it was owned by Mr. White. I think his first name was Tom.

RSL

« Reply #262 on: September 15, 2013, 01:45:57 PM »
Thanks Fulton,
I remember going there with a friend of mine from Lavens Drive. :)

RSL

« Reply #263 on: September 15, 2013, 02:02:14 PM »
Hi May,
I hope you can get your photo's posted on here,it would be lovely to see them.
Anne was a friend of my sister's.Do you know if she is still in Belfast?
I left Belfast in 1963,a long time ago but still have the happy memories of my childhood there.
Hope you don't mind me asking all these questions :) Do you remember the Police barracks on
the Ligoniel Rd?The Sargent's daughter was in my class at St.Marks.I was wondering what happened to it
as I was looking at a map of the area and noticed it is not there anymore.
Also did you know the Cathcart family in Oakley St?

Hi George,
Glad you have made contact with some of the gook folk on the forum.
Hope your Dad joins.It would be good to hear his memories of the place.

Regards, RSL.

may mccomiskey

« Reply #264 on: September 15, 2013, 03:29:29 PM »
hi R S L, I don't mind how many questions you ask me, so long as I can answer them....I have no idea where anne would be living now,i think her mum and dad lived in dunmurry,but that was years ago,most people you would have known moved away ,sadly there are very few of the older folk here now.all the streets are so different as to how you would remember them.the police barricks is long gone,i cant remember if it was blown up or just demolished the orange hall was wrecked and it was just on the block before the barricks.there were people called fyfe just around the corner from barricks, I was in same class at st marks school as brian fyfe, he had an older brother called Jackie and an older sister but I cant remember her name,i think their dad was stationed in the barricks.the other men I recall there were called sadiler and McMullan.the cathcarts lived in lavens drive, david,stewart and a sister Maureen,they also had relations who lived oppsite the library celia and david,would be their cousins sadly david was killed, he ran down bill's loney onto ligoniel rd in front of a lorry.the person I made contact with last night,his dad George, and his aunts evelyn and Margaret were from Oakley st too,they all live in Canada now.   I hope this tells you something,any thing I can help you with just ask.

udini

« Reply #265 on: September 15, 2013, 03:41:35 PM »
May,
I lived down Harmony Hill in one of the houses owned my Glenbank Mill. Both my parents Jean Todd and Bertie Sharkie worked in Glenbank. My Mum lived in 11 Lavens Drive with her parents and brothers and sisters.My Dad was originally from Ardoyne Village but his family moved up to Glenside Parade.I also went to St. Marks and can still remember my first day there . I was taken to school by my 2 uncles Jim and Tom Todd , who were still attending there. I had to go in by the "babies" entrance and , as I didn't want to go, I had my feet against the step with one uncle pulling and the other one pushing.
I still have great and loving memories and I hope to visit in 2014 as I will be visiting from Canada.
Keep up the "reports".
Who,what, where,when and why,I think that says it all.

udini

« Reply #266 on: September 15, 2013, 03:54:19 PM »
I think I might know your Dad George. In Oakley there were 2 Murray families, not related.Your Dad's family lived on the left as you entered Oakley from the Crumlin Road the other family was further up but on the right.

Hi, I'm new here and just reading through all these lovely remembrances. My dad grew up in Ligoniel and I'm researching a novel set there, so all your recollections are great to read. I think the disused mill with the river flowing through it was called the Bleachworks, and my dad said the kids called the river The Bleachie.

My dad grew up on Oakley from birth to age of 19 or so when he went to sea and ended up in Canada, where the family is now. They were Murrays--George, Evelyn, and Margaret. They went to St. Marks. Anyone know them?
Who,what, where,when and why,I think that says it all.

bookie1971

« Reply #267 on: September 15, 2013, 04:52:26 PM »

Hi udini,

Yes, that's right. When we were there last we talked with the Flemmin family as well, I think on Lavens. We wandered around a lot and spent some time downtown wandering. Dad worked at a Mackies place on Woodvale before heading off to sea as a merchant marine. He played a lot of football, and was in the Dunmurry boys league, I think.

G

may mccomiskey

« Reply #268 on: September 15, 2013, 06:35:38 PM »
hi UDINI,i had a good idea who you were, I knew both your parents and their familys.if you let me have your e-mail address I have photos I know you will like.i don't know to post pics on here

bookie1971

« Reply #269 on: September 16, 2013, 02:56:40 PM »
I have a book from the historical society there called "Ligoneil / Ballysillan Memories". It's full of great photos and anecdotes. Any others you would recommend?