Author Topic: Ligoniel  (Read 142999 times)

may mccomiskey

Re: Ligoniel
« Reply #270 on: September 16, 2013, 03:47:56 PM »
hi did you buy that book when you were here with ur dad,hope there is good photos in it . I am trying to post photos on here but it isn't working,i've just came across a picture that was takenat the bottom of the ligoniel rd over 100 yrs ago im going to e-mail to ur aunt evelyn.   evelyn had a friend call Roslyn[I think ] mcclinton she lived in ligoniel and has a wee book out about the historyof it,sorry I don't know of any other books about here. I have a few photos from this book ur dad and evelyn would know the people in them. .if only I could post them on here.

bookie1971

« Reply #271 on: September 16, 2013, 03:50:43 PM »
hi did you buy that book when you were here with ur dad,hope there is good photos in it . I am trying to post photos on here but it isn't working,i've just came across a picture that was takenat the bottom of the ligoniel rd over 100 yrs ago im going to e-mail to ur aunt evelyn.   evelyn had a friend call Roslyn[I think ] mcclinton she lived in ligoniel and has a wee book out about the historyof it,sorry I don't know of any other books about here. I have a few photos from this book ur dad and evelyn would know the people in them. .if only I could post them on here.

That's the book I have! I will try to scan a couple images from it.

may mccomiskey

« Reply #272 on: September 16, 2013, 03:57:24 PM »
that's great,if it is the book im thinking there will be old photos of a class of school children from st marks school....only thing they are way way before my time I study the pic to try and recognise some one...

udini

« Reply #273 on: September 16, 2013, 09:34:09 PM »
May,
It wasn't Martin McCloy who went to Australia, it was his brother Ambie along with his wife Janet Sharkie( my aunt) and their 4 children, Bertie, Billy, Norman and May.They used to live up Ligoniel in a nissin hut going up to the football pitch by the bus terminus . I visited them about 4 years ago and they are all living in the Melbourne area. If I am correct they are cousins to "Fulton".
Who,what, where,when and why,I think that says it all.

RSL

« Reply #274 on: September 17, 2013, 03:38:07 PM »
Thanks May.You have been very helpful. :) I will keep in touch.

DOFFER

Re: Memories of Lower Ligoniel Rd./Crumlin Rd.and Ballysillan.
« Reply #275 on: September 21, 2013, 12:26:44 PM »

yes you are correct ,,,,,,,,,,,smack bang middle ligoniel rd ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,i can see my grannies house on the right hand side ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,tram was just passing the old police station ,,,,,,,,i adore that picture,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,i grew up on ligoniel ,,,,,,,,,,,,so many happy memories ,,,,,,,,,,, :)
Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning Satan shudders and says 'Oh [censored] shes awake!!'

thewass

« Reply #276 on: September 23, 2013, 07:18:06 PM »
Hi there anyone on here go to Everton or Somerdale in the mid sixties,I left for Canada in 65 but returned in 68 ,homesick ::) lived in ligoniel at 5 Legnavea street,with my grandparents John and Aggie Luney, Some of the posts on here have brought backl a lot of memories,

thewass

« Reply #277 on: September 23, 2013, 07:18:40 PM »
that should be 55 Legnavea street

bookie1971

« Reply #278 on: September 30, 2013, 06:23:36 PM »
that's great,if it is the book im thinking there will be old photos of a class of school children from st marks school....only thing they are way way before my time I study the pic to try and recognise some one...

Hi May,

Can I ask you, and everyone else, a question about school levels? In Canada, the progression goes -- primary school (kindergarten, grades 1,2 and 3), elementary school (grades 4, 5, and 6), junior high school (grades 7, 8 and 9), then high school (grades 10, 11, 12). Kids graduate at about 18 and head off to university or college then.

How was St. Mark's/Everton set up? Was it forms? Levels? At what age did a boy move from St. Mark's to Everton? Were there other schools? What was the school for kids who were headed off to university?

Thanks to any who can answer.

G

Gerarda

« Reply #279 on: October 23, 2013, 05:33:09 PM »

Hi, I'm new here and just reading through all these lovely remembrances. My dad grew up in Ligoniel and I'm researching a novel set there, so all your recollections are great to read. I think the disused mill with the river flowing through it was called the Bleachworks, and my dad said the kids called the river The Bleachie.

My dad grew up on Oakley from birth to age of 19 or so when he went to sea and ended up in Canada, where the family is now. They were Murrays--George, Evelyn, and Margaret. They went to St. Marks. Anyone know them?
[/quote

Hey my grandfathers chip shop was oConnors at the turn of the road I would love if anyone has any pics

udini

« Reply #280 on: October 23, 2013, 06:00:20 PM »
Hi there anyone on here go to Everton or Somerdale in the mid sixties,I left for Canada in 65 but returned in 68 ,homesick ::) lived in ligoniel at 5 Legnavea street,with my grandparents John and Aggie Luney, Some of the posts on here have brought backl a lot of memories,
Hi there,
I went to St.Marks until 1960 then Everton till 1964. Luney rings a bell . Although I didn't live in Ligoniel I had relatives, Smilies, who lived there. I lived first in Harmony Hill then we moved up to Glenbank Place . I left there when I got married and came to Canada.
Who,what, where,when and why,I think that says it all.

jawbox

« Reply #281 on: October 31, 2013, 04:45:31 PM »
that should be 55 Legnavea street
I remember Legnavea street well and some of the resident-----Cairns,Murray,"Skin" Smith and Reid were some.I remember John & Agnes Luney too. I'm trying to trace their son John (Abbey Hall hopper)who went to Canada .

jawbox

« Reply #282 on: November 01, 2013, 07:16:14 AM »
Hi May
     The lady you mention with the book on Ligoniel was,I think, called McClintock. She lived only yards from my house in     Wolfhill Lane.

Tipperdarby

« Reply #283 on: November 20, 2013, 03:41:02 AM »
Does anyone remember the McKay family from Legnavea Street? Joe owned the butcher's shop on Ligoniel Road for many years. He has 2 brothers Sean and Henry who married 2 sisters and he has 2 sisters Phyllis and I forget the other one's name. They married 2 brothers. Joe married Isobel Flanagan from Etna Drive in Ardoyne. They live up in Wolfhill. I was speaking to them on the phone today. If Joe was on this Forum he would likely know the majority, if not all of the people mentioned. He has a phenomenal memory. Joe is 76 now and was in grand form today. :)

Rose P

« Reply #284 on: November 22, 2013, 11:49:43 AM »
I am trying to trace the person who posted a comment on here saying their great uncle was jim patton of ligoniel.would be grateful for any help