Author Topic: Ligoniel  (Read 142939 times)

Rose P

Re: Ligoniel
« Reply #285 on: November 22, 2013, 11:59:08 AM »
I remember the luneys very well.they had relatives who lived next door to us in ligoniel George and cissie luney and their 4 children  yvonne, victor, Anne and Heather.George and cissie are gone now but the family are in the ballyclare area.there was also a girl called Maureen Luney who was Georges daughter from his fitst marriage.she emigrated to Canada in the 60s.hope this will help. Xx

Rose P

« Reply #286 on: November 22, 2013, 12:30:05 PM »
To the person who was asking about ligoniel police station.I was told by the wolfhill centre just last week that the police station is now a bar.However i see the old station every time i am in my living room as i have a large picture of it as it was in the 60s.with my dads scooter outside.the RUC museum kindly sent me it.does anyone remember Warnocks paper shop on the ligoniel road? Someone mentioned Joe the butcher and that he is still around.Iremember him having very dark hair and his shop on ligoniel road always had fresh  sawdust put down.next to  his shop was mcgoldricks on the other side was Rolstons (mother and sister of Doctor Rolston) then there was Mary greens shop, a house then Joey crawfords.at the opposite corner was mary Ellens chippy.over the road at the corner of wolfhill avenue was Dicksons shop later owned by Wilbur who was married to a daughter of george O'hara.on wolfhill avenue lived McKees,Shorts'Paddy king,Millars'McClintocks,Pattons,Luneys and Robinsons

Rose P

« Reply #287 on: November 22, 2013, 01:02:03 PM »
To Elwood.hi I remember your mother she worked with my mother and sister in the mill my sister Carol was sad to hear your mother is no longer around.Martha McGinty has been on different programs talking about ligoniel.i also remember castles shop later taken over by local "tycoon "George O'hara.by the way was your granny cissie cairns?

shannonlf

« Reply #288 on: December 15, 2013, 04:05:01 AM »
Just had a smile on my face reading through all the posts of ligoniel. I love hearing the old stories.

fulton

« Reply #289 on: December 15, 2013, 10:29:19 AM »
I remember the luneys very well.they had relatives who lived next door to us in ligoniel George and cissie luney and their 4 children  yvonne, victor, Anne and Heather.George and cissie are gone now but the family are in the ballyclare area.there was also a girl called Maureen Luney who was Georges daughter from his fitst marriage.she emigrated to Canada in the 60s.hope this will help. Xx
Hi, Rose P. I have a photo of Maureen Luney  taken when she was in her teens.I don't know how to put photos on the Forum! or if it's permissible !!!!
Fulton.

fulton

« Reply #290 on: December 15, 2013, 10:42:54 AM »
Hi, again Rose P. I was at Sunday school with Maureen Luney.  I knew George and Cissie very well. I was just a little kid, attending Ligoniel Methodist Sunday School. Cissie was one of the teachers, and was very active in the Church.
Fulton.

Joanie Patterson

« Reply #291 on: January 13, 2014, 03:47:23 PM »
I lived on Glenbank Drive, No 13.  Can still think back and name most of the families from the bottom of the street to the top.  The Coyles lived in Number 1 and the Crosby's lived in the last house beside the Park.  This was 1950 -1957 or there abouts. We then moved to Silverstream Drive. :-)

Joanie Patterson

« Reply #292 on: January 13, 2014, 04:05:00 PM »
RNL I remember all those shops.  I also remember the Haddocks - they lived in Glenbank Drive, David, Elizabeth, and two other sisters whose names I forget.  Happy days.
Does anyone remember the two tramps - we called the man 'Forty Coats' who used to sleep in Ligoniel Park band hut?

Joanie Patterson

« Reply #293 on: January 13, 2014, 04:11:31 PM »
Udini Tom Adams is my cousin. He was brought up in the cottages down Harmony,.  His dad Billy worked in Glenbank Mill and I think his mum Hanna may have worked there too. He had an older brother called Billy.  Tom still lives in the area, he  lives in Glenbank Drive. 

Joanie Patterson

« Reply #294 on: January 13, 2014, 04:22:14 PM »
Linda the Mayfair was owned by Billy Gribbon and Fortunes Chip Shop was a couple of doors above the Mayfair.  Fortunes sold the best pasties in Belfast.  Did anyone go to the Mission Hall at the top of Bilston Road or when it was opposite the Chapel on the Ligoniel Road?  Ballysillan Presbyterian Church ?  My dad was Sammy Patterson, he took the youth club in the church and also preached in the mission Hall.  He used to take us for walks to Robins Well, we would take an old tin kettle and light a fire to make tea.  We always had our sandwiches with us. Those were good days.  Both my sisters went to St Marks Primary - Sandra and Maureen Patterson. I went to Wheatfield PS.  My goodness the memories are flooding back :-)

Joanie Patterson

« Reply #295 on: January 13, 2014, 04:24:27 PM »
Fulton I went to the Girls Life Brigade in the Methodist Church. Do you remember the Coburns from Glen Bank Drive?  Hettie, Elizabeth and Mary? I think they went to the Methodist. 

Joanie Patterson

« Reply #296 on: January 13, 2014, 04:34:44 PM »
Hi RSL,
There was a doctors up Ligoniel Road.  It was in a street on the right hand side going up - on the opposite side of the road from the Mission Hall and the same side as the Chapel. The first doctor I remember was a Doctor Nelson and then he was replaced by a Doctor Jackson who had been to the Mission Fields.  My grans sisters lived in the house opposite the entrance to the doctors. Their name was Tole or Tolen I think.  Maggie and Sarah. Now I'm back to early 1950's, didn't think I still held these memories, wonderful what a discussion like this can do for the memory cells lol 

udini

« Reply #297 on: January 13, 2014, 04:42:08 PM »
Udini Tom Adams is my cousin. He was brought up in the cottages down Harmony,.  His dad Billy worked in Glenbank Mill and I think his mum Hanna may have worked there too. He had an older brother called Billy.  Tom still lives in the area, he  lives in Glenbank Drive.

Joanie, the next time you see Tom Adams , ask him if he remembers splitting my head open with a rock!  We were down in the river throwing rocks into the river, I was in front of him and bent down to get a rock. When I stood up he had just thrown one and my head stopped it! I put my hand to the back of my head and it was covered in blood. Once Tom saw that he took off down the river to his Grannies? By the way my name is Bertie Sharkie.
Who,what, where,when and why,I think that says it all.

Joanie Patterson

Re: Memories of Lower Ligoniel Rd./Crumlin Rd.and Ballysillan.
« Reply #298 on: January 13, 2014, 04:54:20 PM »
Hi Newry! Thanks for the welcome... :) ...I didn't get a PM, but judging from some of the posts on BF, privacy is overrated anyway.. ;) ! The street between the Co-op and 'Herbie's' was Loughview, and I lived at #1, so if you knew me then, you may know that would mean I am the Maureen Greer of whom you speak..lol... I am sooo curious as to your name! I found a group pic from around 1956 and I had written most of the girls'names on the back, so if you are concerned about privacy if you can give me your initials I'll maybe figure it out. I also have a small pic taken in the playground of seven of us. I'll try to scan both up soon. Look forward to hearing from you! BTW, How cool is this?? :)

Maureen I remember you name from my childhood. I think my sisters knew you - Maureen and Sandra Patterson??  We all went to the Mission Hall opposite the Chapel and then when it moved to Bilston. My dad sometimes preached - Sammy Patterson. My mum was Edie Patterson.

Joanie Patterson

« Reply #299 on: January 13, 2014, 11:41:33 PM »
Does anyone remember O'connors Chippy just up from Mrs Young's grocery shop?  Marie O'Connor and Kevin O'Connor worked in the shop. They had a brother Jim O'Connor who joined the Air Force about 1960. I also remember the wee scary woman who dressed in black. She lived opposite the library.  Was her name Suzanne?