Author Topic: Ligoniel  (Read 140753 times)

Joanie Patterson

Re: Ligoniel
« Reply #300 on: January 13, 2014, 11:49:53 PM »
I lived in Silverstream Parade born 1953 and moved from Silverstream about 1980 down to Alliance, remember going to Isaccs in Ligoneil, and playing with the games he had where you got the ball in like a hand held pinball machine, was great fun then, not so sure the kids today would thinkso LOL

Brill Paul I remember you.  Your family went to the City Mission opposite the Chapel at Ligoniel. My dad was Sammy Patterson, the missionary was Mr Buick and then replaced by Mr Chestnut.  I remember your sister Ann as well.

Joanie Patterson

« Reply #301 on: January 13, 2014, 11:55:01 PM »

I did Gateboy in Glenbank mill for a year back in the late 60s, remember the houses in Harmony Hill, remember the Granvilles esp Harry who was slightly older than myself and the Gormans ,and Adams def rings a bell . all great pigeon men

RpBert if you were Gateboy at Glenbank Mill you would know my uncles Noel Adams and Billy Adams.  My pop worked there as well William Adams but he died in his fifties. My gran was Mary Adams, she always used to stand at the gate and watch everyone go up and down to the mill. Does anyone remember the big policeman from Ligoniel Police Station ( well he seemed big at the time) Mr Sadler.  He was always walking up and down the road and would talk to everyone. Real community policing then :-)

Joanie Patterson

Re: Memories of Lower Ligoniel Rd./Crumlin Rd.and Ballysillan.
« Reply #302 on: January 14, 2014, 12:02:04 AM »
MMcM

Stephen My dad did all your granddad's painting. I can still see you granddad's face. He was a big man.  My dad was Sammy Patterson, I remember Mavis Gribban and there was another sister but I can't remember her name.  Your granddad was always good to us when we went into the shop. One of my happiest memories is when I was a wee girl, maybe four or five, looking in the windows of the Mayfair at Christmas. The windows were always full of lovely big boxes of chocolates and toffees in beautiful tins that could be kept and used long after the toffees were gone.  happy memories.

Joanie Patterson

« Reply #303 on: January 14, 2014, 12:13:01 AM »
Hi Bookie1971, and welcome.
Good luck with your book.I hope you get all the information that you need.
I remember Oakley street but not your Dad's name.The only family that I recall from there were the Cathcarts.
I also attended St.Marks from 1955-1960 so if your relatives attended those years we would have crossed
paths.regards,RSL.

Bookie1971 I knew the Murrays. My sister Maureen Patterson chummed with Margaret Murray, she was her best pal. I also knew the Cathcarts - Billy Cathcart was the dad and there were two sons, one was Stuart (or Stewart) he got called Stewertie, I don't remember the other brother's name.  The Cathcarts went to the Belfast City Mission up Ligoniel and later on the Bilston Road.  I'm sure there was a sister as well - Margaret Cathcart?  Just a guess.  Does anyone remember Bill Larkin?  I think it was maybe Legann Street the Larkins lived but not sure.

Joanie Patterson

« Reply #304 on: January 14, 2014, 12:17:32 AM »
My memories of the shops on Right Hand Side of the Crumlin Road after the bend in the road at Glenbank were, A bakery set back a bit off the road, Launderette, O'Haras Bakery(Loved their Baps and Chocolate based Paris buns, Then was Primrose Street, Then Herons hardware shop, then small confectionary shop, Johnny McBride (Shoemaker), O'Connors pub, next came Leroy Street, George Hillarys (Grocers), Hamiltons (Chemist), "The Cobweb" confectionary, snuff, fags (my Uncles - after he retired the Chemists bought the shop to expand it into what it is today), Jim Graham (Cycles,charged accumators[large batteries], Jim also had a Blacksmiths through an entry off Legmail Street, McIlroys (shoe repairer), next was Legmail Street. A block on up there was McAvoys (confectonary & ice cream), next was a small road, then a Co-Op store  :o

I used to get sent to Billy Cobwebs for an ounce of Stuff, it was a creepy wee shop. Billy Cobweb used to weigh it out on little scales.   There was an old Red phone box near his shop.

Joanie Patterson

« Reply #305 on: January 14, 2014, 12:24:04 AM »
May,
I lived down Harmony Hill in one of the houses owned my Glenbank Mill. Both my parents Jean Todd and Bertie Sharkie worked in Glenbank. My Mum lived in 11 Lavens Drive with her parents and brothers and sisters.My Dad was originally from Ardoyne Village but his family moved up to Glenside Parade.I also went to St. Marks and can still remember my first day there . I was taken to school by my 2 uncles Jim and Tom Todd , who were still attending there. I had to go in by the "babies" entrance and , as I didn't want to go, I had my feet against the step with one uncle pulling and the other one pushing.
I still have great and loving memories and I hope to visit in 2014 as I will be visiting from Canada.
Keep up the "reports".

May did Stuart Cathcart go to Canada?  Did you remember the Larkins - I think Lavens Drive.  Bill Larkin went to Inst Academy, he went about with Stuart Cathcart. 

Joanie Patterson

« Reply #306 on: January 14, 2014, 12:31:54 AM »

Maureen I remember you name from my childhood. I think my sisters knew you - Maureen and Sandra Patterson??  We all went to the Mission Hall opposite the Chapel and then when it moved to Bilston. My dad sometimes preached - Sammy Patterson. My mum was Edie Patterson.

Udini I know who you are, I remember the Sharkies.  Where about in Canada are you?

fulton

« Reply #307 on: January 15, 2014, 03:48:48 AM »
Fulton I went to the Girls Life Brigade in the Methodist Church. Do you remember the Coburns from Glen Bank Drive?  Hettie, Elizabeth and Mary? I think they went to the Methodist. 
G'day JP. I remember the Coburns. It was probably Their parents. Jimmy worked in the office in Glenbank. Hettie his wife, was my sister in laws Aunt. As my sister in law is now in her 80s. It is most likely it was the parents I knew.
Fulton.

fulton

« Reply #308 on: January 15, 2014, 04:00:18 AM »
Linda the Mayfair was owned by Billy Gribbon and Fortunes Chip Shop was a couple of doors above the Mayfair.  Fortunes sold the best pasties in Belfast.  Did anyone go to the Mission Hall at the top of Bilston Road or when it was opposite the Chapel on the Ligoniel Road?  Ballysillan Presbyterian Church ?  My dad was Sammy Patterson, he took the youth club in the church and also preached in the mission Hall.  He used to take us for walks to Robins Well, we would take an old tin kettle and light a fire to make tea.  We always had our sandwiches with us. Those were good days.  Both my sisters went to St Marks Primary - Sandra and Maureen Patterson. I went to Wheatfield PS.  My goodness the memories are flooding back :-)
Hi, again, Teddy Fortune, gave my brother a suitcase to pack his goods in when he left for Australia in 1949.
Fulton. P.S. A girl from the Mayfair went to the Methodist Sunday School the same time as me, I think her name was Linda.

fulton

« Reply #309 on: January 15, 2014, 04:10:05 AM »
Does anyone remember O'connors Chippy just up from Mrs Young's grocery shop?  Marie O'Connor and Kevin O'Connor worked in the shop. They had a brother Jim O'Connor who joined the Air Force about 1960. I also remember the wee scary woman who dressed in black. She lived opposite the library.  Was her name Suzanne?
The wee scary woman you speak of I think was Roseanne Mc Garry!!!!!!!!!      I remember a lot of things about( the turn of the road) The people and the places. O'Connors chippy, the Cobweb, George Hillery the grocer, Hamilton the chemist. I could go on forever. Thank you for bringing back so many great memories.

davyc

« Reply #310 on: January 27, 2014, 05:26:55 PM »
My granny lived in legnavea  street, cassie mcdowell, went up there at weekends to stay. Played with two families up there, the oneils and the jacksons, this was in the late 50s early 60s good times. ::)

Tipperdarby

« Reply #311 on: January 27, 2014, 07:30:04 PM »
My granny lived in legnavea  street, cassie mcdowell, went up there at weekends to stay. Played with two families up there, the oneils and the jacksons, this was in the late 50s early 60s good times. ::)
Would that have been Jim Jackson and his sister Bridie?   

davyc

« Reply #312 on: January 27, 2014, 10:54:37 PM »
Hi tipperdarby, good to hear from you, this is my first time on the forum and I was surprised I got an answer. Answer to your question is yes it was jim, I didnt know his sister that well,, I know he had an older brother who played football for glentoran and then manchester united.i think his father was called jim and I know that his mothers name was kathleen who was good friends with my gran. My gran lived at 65 and the jacksons lived further up in a little cul de sac.the o neills names were maurice and I think michael. We were all  round the same age then, good memories before the troubles started.hope this helps you.

Tipperdarby

« Reply #313 on: January 27, 2014, 11:41:48 PM »
Hi tipperdarby, good to hear from you, this is my first time on the forum and I was surprised I got an answer. Answer to your question is yes it was jim, I didnt know his sister that well,, I know he had an older brother who played football for glentoran and then manchester united.i think his father was called jim and I know that his mothers name was kathleen who was good friends with my gran. My gran lived at 65 and the jacksons lived further up in a little cul de sac.the o neills names were maurice and I think michael. We were all  round the same age then, good memories before the troubles started.hope this helps you.
davyc,
I forgot to say welcome to the Belfast Forum. It is mostly good fun :)
Jim Jackson is my eldest son's Godfather. He was engaged to one of my sisters at the time but that didn't last. I don't know anything about him now. He was a lovely fella then and I'm sure he is a lovely man now. We lived in Wolfhill until we came to Canada in 1977.

ballysillan old boy

« Reply #314 on: January 27, 2014, 11:52:03 PM »
I think the fathers name was Barney