Author Topic: Ligoniel  (Read 140856 times)

davyc

Re: Ligoniel
« Reply #315 on: January 28, 2014, 01:42:14 AM »
It could well have been barney mostly knew the mum then. I see people asking about the mcgintys from the front of the road. My granny cassie mcdowell was ginny mcgintys sister.they had a big family, hughie, tizzy, kitty, tommy, maureen, ann and wee davy who died young .the dad davy died coming home from thee shipyard one night.l remember my mum telling me all this.she was their cousin.this is great to listen to.gets to know people .

Tipperdarby

« Reply #316 on: January 28, 2014, 01:47:11 AM »
I think the fathers name was Barney
That sounds right.

bonkers82

« Reply #317 on: March 19, 2014, 11:39:31 AM »
Mervyn Smylie is my mums cousin.  Mum is bessie mcfarlane

jawbox

« Reply #318 on: May 07, 2014, 12:05:10 PM »
Thanks for the information about Richies, Doffer!  :) I can't wait to tell my sister I was right.  Did the ::)  name McMurray mean anything to you? There was an awful lot of them!

And Fulton, thanks for the response regarding Legane St. It's nice to know my 49 year old memories can't be too wrong.

It's been a long day here so I'll say goodnight. Regards Elwood
Hi Elwood, rem Harry McMurray ----best singer of Western songs there was !

jawbox

« Reply #319 on: May 07, 2014, 12:26:00 PM »
I used to live in Lever Street as a kid i remember Joey Crawfords shop Gallagers Chippie
Hi B O B I rem when Joey cut a slice of cheese he would always eat the few crumbs that fell onto the board. And queuing up at Gallagers chippy on a Friday night.  Sometimes Stoker would turn up & livened things up.

ballysillan old boy

« Reply #320 on: May 07, 2014, 06:32:47 PM »
Hi B O B I rem when Joey cut a slice of cheese he would always eat the few crumbs that fell onto the board. And queuing up at Gallagers chippy on a Friday night.  Sometimes Stoker would turn up & livened things up.
Stokers songs were quite well known ;)

asp1

« Reply #321 on: May 09, 2014, 07:56:58 PM »
Bonkers82   I went to Everton 1964 til 1969 and there was a Bessie McFarlane in my class maybe she is your mum.

udini

Re: Memories of Lower Ligoniel Rd./Crumlin Rd.and Ballysillan.
« Reply #322 on: May 10, 2014, 06:02:25 PM »

Udini I know who you are, I remember the Sharkies.  Where about in Canada are you?

I used to go to St.Marks with Billy Larkin. My Granny Todd lived in Lavens Drive and I would go from there to school.
I am in Edmonton, Alberta, been here since 1977.
Who,what, where,when and why,I think that says it all.

udini

« Reply #323 on: May 10, 2014, 06:04:14 PM »
Mervyn Smylie is my mums cousin.  Mum is bessie mcfarlane

Mervyn Smylie is my cousin. I just spend a short time with him and his wife Hilary when we were over from Canada in March/April.
Who,what, where,when and why,I think that says it all.

Marjorie

« Reply #324 on: May 12, 2014, 11:09:23 PM »
Hi Elwood & Doffer.  I just stumbled across this site accidentally while trying to look up the current Ligoniel Doctor's address & I'm glad I did! Bella Armstrong was my great aunt & it just seems to unreal to see her name mentioned here.  She died when I was only 4 but she was a larger than life character and I still have some very fond & vivid memories of her!  I remember the McMurray sisters well too, and, if I'm thinking of the same Gracey family, I also remember them as they lived next door to my (late) granny in Finlay Street many years ago.  Cecelia (known as "Ceilly") Gracey was a great friend of my granny's & she just celebrated her 100th birthday last August!

jacquismith87

« Reply #325 on: May 13, 2014, 12:59:57 PM »
Hi Group, Im doing a bit of Family Research, my Great Grandmother was Susannah Smith nee Todd she married William Smith they had Children William, James, Robert, Thomas ( my grandfather) and Mary Jane, i think there may have been another 2 children as per the 1911 Census they were from Wolfhill Avenue.

Im also looking information on the Boyds, My great Grandmother was Sarah Fletcher Boyd who married Thomas Giffen in Canada, Sarahs Mother was called Martha Boyd Im trying to find out who Martha's husband is as i cant seem to find any records, also from Ligoniel - Lesley Street

Many thanks in advance :)  Jac

PaulineRooney

« Reply #326 on: June 03, 2014, 02:05:07 PM »
Hi folks, some fascinating information here, throughly enjoyed reading all your lovely memories of Ligoniel, i have been researching family tree stuff and every now and then stumpled upon old pictures of Ligoniel so as i went along i just saved the images to my computer to look at later, i have since added these pictures to a page on facebook called Old Ligoniel Pictures, ive also posted old footage of ligoniel to youtube which was forwarded to me by Hance Mcshane. Theres some amazing images that im sure will bring all your lovely memories to life, feel free to comment under the pictures with names dates ect :-) Hope you all enjoy

Nessie savage

« Reply #327 on: June 10, 2014, 12:05:16 AM »
Dose anyone here on this know my family the kinkaids from wolf hill lane and the oh areasoh areas

Nessie savage

« Reply #328 on: June 10, 2014, 12:08:40 AM »
And the oharas were my family as well

Sachs

« Reply #329 on: June 10, 2014, 04:00:46 AM »
Nessie

Did you go to Wheatfield Primary during the mid sixties?