Author Topic: Ligoniel  (Read 140630 times)

DOFFER

Re: Ligoniel
« Reply #330 on: June 10, 2014, 06:28:27 PM »
IM RELATED TO THE MCGRANDLES ,TOLANDS, OHARAS  ALL LIVED LIGONIEL ,ON THE MAIN RD ,FINLEY ST ETC
Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning Satan shudders and says 'Oh [censored] shes awake!!'

Nessie savage

« Reply #331 on: June 10, 2014, 11:24:21 PM »
No I went to edenbrooke and everton

Nessie savage

« Reply #332 on: June 10, 2014, 11:25:54 PM »
My grandparents were jinty and Johnny Kinkaid who had Andy Jackie Rene lily and sammeul who were their family

Nessie savage

« Reply #333 on: June 10, 2014, 11:26:35 PM »
My great Granda was dash ohara

thewass

« Reply #334 on: June 29, 2014, 02:23:14 PM »
rene Kincaid was married to bobby menaul,think that's how its spelt,they lived in 58 legnavea st,had 2 sons,roy and david,this was around 1968

gordy

« Reply #335 on: June 29, 2014, 03:16:06 PM »
My great Granda was dash ohara
My Granda was Dash O'Hara, Finlay Street, Ligoniel. He suffered from alzheimer’s in his later years. He would come around to my dad's house and get a fill of tobacco in his pipe then walk out off the door and tap it out. Lovely wee man.

udini

« Reply #336 on: July 09, 2014, 02:36:37 AM »
Dash O'Hara that name rings a bell. Did he play football? My Dad , Bertie Sharkie, over time ran some teams up Ligoniel and Harmony , and I seem to remember him playing with my Dad.
Who,what, where,when and why,I think that says it all.

dorisdickson970

« Reply #337 on: July 12, 2014, 06:13:52 PM »
TS OF OTHERS EDWARDS LIVED IN LADBROKE DRIVE  I AM STILL IN TOUCH WITH ETTA  MULLAN ( NEE EDWARDS )/
Dash O'Hara that name rings a bell. Did he play football? My Dad , Bertie Sharkie, over time ran some teams up Ligoniel and Harmony , and I seem to remember him playing with my Dad.
   yes  i  knew  both your  grandparnets   my  granny  was great friends  wlth  your  granny  your  aunt renie  came in and out of our  house   in  ligoniel  my aunt ester was married till your  grandad twin  brother   they lived in silverstream  my name was  doris mc keen

Elwood

« Reply #338 on: August 05, 2014, 04:06:24 AM »
To Elwood.hi I remember your mother she worked with my mother and sister in the mill my sister Carol was sad to hear your mother is no longer around.Martha McGinty has been on different programs talking about ligoniel.i also remember castles shop later taken over by local "tycoon "George O'hara.by the way was your granny cissie cairns?

Hi RP, haven't been on this site for ages. I hope this post gets to you, I've forgotten how to do this.
It's nice to hear that someone remembers my mother. It's been six long years since we lost her!
Cissie Cairns was the widow of my mother's brother Jim who was killed somewhere in Belgium I believe during WW11. My husband and I visited my Aunt Cissie years ago when we visited Belfast. She is long gone now, but a lovely woman. My maternal granny was Sarah Cairns her and my granda (Hugh) lived in Legane St until their death in the early sixties (?).

dorisdickson970

« Reply #339 on: August 05, 2014, 04:30:44 PM »
i  was  very pleased to read  your measage  it the frist time  i have found  any  relattves  my  granny susan  martain was your grandfather  sisterihave found out  she was born in the bellfast workhouse  there mother and father were called sarah  and samuel  ialso rember cissie  hope you dont mind me getting in touch  mmy name was doris mc keen all the best

dorisdickson970

« Reply #340 on: August 05, 2014, 05:06:30 PM »
Dose anyone here on this know my family the kinkaids from wolf hill lane and the oh areasoh areas
i   i remember  your granny very well  as she was a good friend  of my granny  also i knew  your mum  she brouht you up to our house for to show you off i can renember nurseing you our familes wer very close

Elwood

« Reply #341 on: August 07, 2014, 04:22:16 AM »
i  was  very pleased to read  your measage  it the frist time  i have found  any  relattves  my  granny susan  martain was your grandfather  sisterihave found out  she was born in the bellfast workhouse  there mother and father were called sarah  and samuel  ialso rember cissie  hope you dont mind me getting in touch  mmy name was doris mc keen all the best

Hello Doris, it was lovely to hear from you. It is great to find someone from that side of the family. My mother asked me ages ago if I could try and find some information on her father. His past seemed to be a bit of a mystery. All I could find were 2 records in the Census of Hugh and Susan, their last address being on the Ligoniel Road. My cousin Carol, in England, was also trying to chase up some info. I'd really like to talk to you about things, could I please have your email or address to get in touch? Regards Hazel Lanphier. My email address is listed under my name.

dorisdickson970

« Reply #342 on: August 07, 2014, 02:33:21 PM »
myemail   dorisdickson970'''gmail.com   the two  of them were inthe workhouse  for some time  they fosterd out a  few  times  then they  sent  to  57 ligoniel road  the oeoole were called  conveys  they had a very hard and unhappy time   ithink there mother died  giveing birth to my  granny   i igot my grannys birth record  then  ihit a brick wall  hope this helps  dorts

dorisdickson970

« Reply #343 on: August 07, 2014, 05:44:36 PM »
hi hazel  i am  on   facebook  it would be great to see  some photos  i have only one aunt   left   sadley  she  has allzemers   you grandad  was two years olders than my granny  hope to hear from you soon doris

Elwood

« Reply #344 on: August 08, 2014, 03:42:17 AM »
hi hazel  i am  on   facebook  it would be great to see  some photos  i have only one aunt   left   sadley  she  has allzemers   you grandad  was two years olders than my granny  hope to hear from you soon doris

Hello again Doris! Struggled with facebook (never used it before) and think I've found you??? As I say in my facebook message I think I can see a family resemblance. I have heard that my Granda had had a hard childhood but no one, not even my mother, knew why. Perhaps there was some shame attached with their being orphans. According to my mum, Sarah, her mother, was married secretly to Hugh for some time, going home to her folks and wearing her wedding ring hidden under her clothes on a chain around her neck. And on their marriage details she put her age up to consenting age (21). My mum's last remaining sister is in Belfast. I haven't contacted her, but according to others she either doesn't know anything or isn't saying. I hope your Granny was able to give you more information. Anyway, I'll look forward to hearing from you again, Hazel