Author Topic: Ligoniel  (Read 142998 times)

Rose anna

Re: Ligoniel
« Reply #360 on: September 17, 2014, 05:41:29 AM »
The coburn sisters looked nothing like each other. Elizabeth went out with Alan McClintock for a while. Thankfully she seen  the light as he was a bully .The Mayfair was wonderful and  on a saturday night if daddy was on duty,mum and i would walk down for ice cream,the couple that owned were lovely. Our facourite sweets were San toy mixtures. If anyone knows where i could get them i would be grateful. Joey crawfords shop on ligoniel road was always popular, i can remember poor people buying two eggs and a quarter of butter.things mustve been hard. There was a family called Moore who lived up in the garden houses my brother went about with the son Raymond, his sister Anne had downs syndrome. Mary ellens chippy provided entertaiment as you never knew who would come in Lizzie Mclaughlin,Or stoker Palmer. Kathleen Hodgens was good value too. She always knew the latest gossip, but was a very kind women. The corner boys usually consisted of the Rice brothers, Danny Ardis,Davey Thompson, Tom Maginty,walter Thompson.

udini

« Reply #361 on: September 17, 2014, 03:35:19 PM »
Hi. To the person who said Bessie Mcfarlane is their Mum. I remember Bessie very well and her Mum i think her name was Kathleen.Mervyn,David and Vivian Smilie remember them too.There was another Cousin called Agnes wickens. Sadly she died in Childbirth at a very young age. How is your Mum doing? Are you in Canada?
Mervyn, Davey and Vivian are my cousins, sadly Davey and Vivian have passed on but their other siblings are alive and kicking in the Ligoniel/Ballysillan areas.
Who,what, where,when and why,I think that says it all.

udini

« Reply #362 on: September 17, 2014, 03:37:15 PM »
Hi Udini,
You mentioned Lavens Drive..Do you happen to know Susan Burgess who lived there with her Aunt
in the 1950/60's? I went to primary school with her (St.Mark's) and often think about my chums from
way back then. :)
Sorry , no I don't remember the name. I also went to St. Marks from 1952? and then on to Everton.

udini

« Reply #363 on: September 17, 2014, 03:41:20 PM »
The coburn sisters looked nothing like each other. Elizabeth went out with Alan McClintock for a while. Thankfully she seen  the light as he was a bully .The Mayfair was wonderful and  on a saturday night if daddy was on duty,mum and i would walk down for ice cream,the couple that owned were lovely. Our facourite sweets were San toy mixtures. If anyone knows where i could get them i would be grateful. Joey crawfords shop on ligoniel road was always popular, i can remember poor people buying two eggs and a quarter of butter.things mustve been hard. There was a family called Moore who lived up in the garden houses my brother went about with the son Raymond, his sister Anne had downs syndrome. Mary ellens chippy provided entertaiment as you never knew who would come in Lizzie Mclaughlin,Or stoker Palmer. Kathleen Hodgens was good value too. She always knew the latest gossip, but was a very kind women. The corner boys usually consisted of the Rice brothers, Danny Ardis,Davey Thompson, Tom Maginty,walter Thompson.
I think there was an Elizabeth Coburn at St. Marks when I went there . That would have been 1952? to 1960?. A bunch of us used to "hang" around the turn of the road , but the names you mention are not familar to me.Maybe that was before my time.

Rose anna

« Reply #364 on: September 17, 2014, 06:34:41 PM »
Hi to Bessie Mcfarlanes daughter. I was shocked and sad to hear vivian Smilie is gone, I had heard about Davey. Vivian was roughly the same age as me.   Your Mum would remember the people ive mentioned,  best wishes.

DOFFER

« Reply #365 on: September 17, 2014, 06:36:45 PM »

those names ring a bell ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,anyone remember joker Toland ?
Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning Satan shudders and says 'Oh [censored] shes awake!!'

Rose anna

« Reply #366 on: September 17, 2014, 07:06:21 PM »
Oh yes I remember Joker Toland. He was another one who was entertaining. He had loads of Children. I remember one daughter Ann. She was nice.

dorisdickson970

« Reply #367 on: September 17, 2014, 07:33:04 PM »
Oh yes I remember Joker Toland. He was another one who was entertaining. He had loads of Children. I remember one daughter Ann. She was nice.
Iremenber  joker  well  he was great  loved his christmas  shop  and the methdy bassire  at christmas  mary green sweet shop  the boys playing handball

dorisdickson970

« Reply #368 on: September 17, 2014, 07:41:28 PM »
you forgot  walter flankery  alan dickson  at the coner  what about  the footboll in the playground  in the summer  you allways knew were the boys are

DOFFER

« Reply #369 on: September 17, 2014, 10:22:12 PM »

JOKE WAS MY UNCLE  MY MOTHERS BROTHER ,,,,,,I LOST COUNT OF HOW MANY CHILDREN HE HAD  I THINK IT WAS MORE THAN 10 ,ALL OF JOKERS SISTER EXCEPT MY MOTHER ALL MOVED AND LIVED IN ENGLAND  ,ALL HAVE PASSED AWAY , AS DID HIS BROTHER BILL MANY YRS AGO ,,JOKER USED TO TAKE ME WHEN I WAS A KID FOR A RIDE IN THE JAUNTING CAR OUT TO DUNDROD  WHEN RACES WERE ON ,ONLY HAPPY MEMORIES OF HIM AND KNOW HE WAS ALWAYS GOOD FOR A LAUGH ,,
Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning Satan shudders and says 'Oh [censored] shes awake!!'

Rose anna

« Reply #370 on: September 17, 2014, 11:40:16 PM »
Hi Doffer+Doris, Joker was always good fun and i think he had more than 10 children. Another daughter was called Jean. Mary Greens shop can still remember the smell of pipe tobacco. Was Alan Dickson the one with the sore back Doris? Remember Jim, David and Doreen Dickson was there a Drew as well? I remember Alan Dicksons wife Ellie she was a nice woman. Does anyone know Doris Hodgins she lived in the garden houses and two doors up lived Irene Hamilton. The games of hand ball up against the gable wall were  brilliant

michelle68

« Reply #371 on: September 18, 2014, 10:34:44 AM »
Hi my name is Michelle Jordan

i am the daughter of Anne Jordan (nee Penny) My grandmother was Josie Penny (nee magouran) and wife of John Penny.  I believe that Annie Noble was my grandmothers aunt and my great great aunt annie who i met many times before she died as i spent a lot of time with my grandmother in Legoneil. I have been trying to fill in one gap in that side of my family tree and that is my grandmothers father. Her mother was Mary CatherineMagouran who never married and my grandmother died without telling us who her father was. My mother would dearly love to know this before she dies. I know it was all a very long time ago and no one may know his identity but if there is anyone out there who can help it would of great to her from them. Or if anyone knew my grandmother and her family any details at all would be warmly appreciated.

Michelle68   

Rose anna

« Reply #372 on: September 18, 2014, 11:43:51 AM »
Hi Michelle68. May I suggest you contact the Wolfhill centre at,148 Ligoniel Road,Belfast.Telephone 02890391225. Ask to speak to Tommy Mackissey(pronounced Maxi). Tommy not only lived in the same street as your family, He is als an authority on the histories of ligoniel people. Withe every good wish in your search. Rose anna

michelle68

« Reply #373 on: September 18, 2014, 01:41:34 PM »
Hi

i tried ringing the number you suggested and got through to the center but when i asked for Tommy Maxi they said there was no one there of that name. Is there any other avenue you can think of trying or anyone from ligoneil that I could contact who may be able to answer my questions . Any assistance you can afford me would be very much appreciated.

michelle68

dorisdickson970

« Reply #374 on: September 18, 2014, 06:47:20 PM »
Hi my name is Michelle Jordan

i am the daughter of Anne Jordan (nee Penny) My grandmother was Josie Penny (nee magouran) and wife of John Penny.  I believe that Annie Noble was my grandmothers aunt and my great great aunt annie who i met many times before she died as i spent a lot of time with my grandmother in Legoneil. I have been trying to fill in one gap in that side of my family tree and that is my grandmothers father. Her mother was Mary CatherineMagouran who never married and my grandmother died without telling us who her father was. My mother would dearly love to know this before she dies. I know it was all a very long time ago and no one may know his identity but if there is anyone out there who can help it would of great to her from them. Or if anyone knew my grandmother and her family any details at all would be warmly appreciated.

Michelle68   

hi  i married david dickson  you might know me my name was doris mc keen  doris hogons is doing fine i was talking to her last week  she was my sister chum

JOKE WAS MY UNCLE  MY MOTHERS BROTHER ,,,,,,I LOST COUNT OF HOW MANY CHILDREN HE HAD  I THINK IT WAS MORE THAN 10 ,ALL OF JOKERS SISTER EXCEPT MY MOTHER ALL MOVED AND LIVED IN ENGLAND  ,ALL HAVE PASSED AWAY , AS DID HIS BROTHER BILL MANY YRS AGO ,,JOKER USED TO TAKE ME WHEN I WAS A KID FOR A RIDE IN THE JAUNTING CAR OUT TO DUNDROD  WHEN RACES WERE ON ,ONLY HAPPY MEMORIES OF HIM AND KNOW HE WAS ALWAYS GOOD FOR A LAUGH ,,