Author Topic: Ligoniel  (Read 140791 times)

dorisdickson970

Re: Ligoniel
« Reply #465 on: October 20, 2014, 07:43:06 PM »
i was wondering  would any one know  anything about my dad  iknowhe died  in 1952  he served in the ulster rifiels inthe war  his name was bobby mckeen  it would lovely to hear from  anyone who knew him

ballysillan old boy

« Reply #466 on: October 20, 2014, 08:41:42 PM »
mary leech,news of the world(lol)
Remember calling her that one day she wasn,t amused and came round to our house :D

Rose anna

« Reply #467 on: October 20, 2014, 09:21:50 PM »
Hi Doris. Which brays did you do your courting ?. Its lovely you are still together and can share the wee memories.  May i ask Doris how old you were when your daddy died?.  Best wishes to you and Davey. Xx

Rose anna

« Reply #468 on: October 21, 2014, 08:19:29 AM »
Ballysillan old boy.wouldve loved to hear that conversation. Did she really come round to your house? Here what did your mum say? Mary leach had the cheek of the nation.

dorisdickson970

« Reply #469 on: October 21, 2014, 05:36:20 PM »
i  was  4 in April  he  died  in june

Rose anna

« Reply #470 on: October 21, 2014, 07:59:48 PM »
Thats shocking Doris. I really do hope someone on here remembers him. Xx

ballysillan old boy

« Reply #471 on: October 21, 2014, 10:01:08 PM »
Ballysillan old boy.wouldve loved to hear that conversation. Did she really come round to your house? Here what did your mum say? Mary leach had the cheek of the nation.
My old granny burst out laughing i told leach that was her nickname she had a daughter i think her married name was marie mckee she came with her :D

Rose anna

« Reply #472 on: October 22, 2014, 06:18:12 AM »
Quite a lot has been written about Stoker Palmer on this page. However does anyone remember, if he had a wife and Children?

ballysillan old boy

« Reply #473 on: October 22, 2014, 07:42:13 PM »
Quite a lot has been written about Stoker Palmer on this page. However does anyone remember, if he had a wife and Children?
I don,t think geordie was married always remember him being very well dressed even when he was drunk :D

Rose anna

« Reply #474 on: October 22, 2014, 09:24:51 PM »
Thats true. His shirts were always nice and white. The 12th parade in Belfast was never quite the same without him leading it. Although He lived just round the corner from us,As kids we didnt know if he was married or not. My dad had to reluctantly lift George many times but he said the next morning George would akways apologise. Its a shame the drink took over.

Elwood

« Reply #475 on: December 05, 2014, 05:49:46 AM »
Just wondering if anyone remembers the McGawley family from Wolfhill Lane. Two of the Children were May and Henry.They went to Australia in the 1960s../quote]

Hi Rose anna. Yes I remember the McGawley's. The family caught up with our family here in Melbourne in the mid-60s. Paddy McGawley was an old friend of my father's. We lost touch and I don't know what happened to them all except young David McGawley who came to a very sad end.

Rose anna

« Reply #476 on: December 05, 2014, 09:39:11 PM »
Hi Elwood.Thank you for replying. Ive often wondered how the McGawleys got on. Im sure they found Australia to be vastly different from wolfhill Lane. Think maybe Henry would be around my age. What happened to David  if you don't mind me asking? Best wishes Rose anna

thewass

« Reply #477 on: December 09, 2014, 12:47:24 AM »
Hi Rosemary,tried to send you a pm wouldn't go through

Morton McDonald

« Reply #478 on: December 13, 2014, 07:18:36 AM »
Ligoniel at the end of the tram lines remember having to walk up that mountain. .when you got off the tram  and started up the hill there was an old lady who used to sit outside and smoked an old white clay pipe.after a short walk up the hill there was a wee bridge and there was small brook trout in it then you came to the loney that took you up to the Horseshoe Road....after what seemed like a long hike we came to Wolf hill Road and my uncle Robert Templeton lived in #4 at the entrance to Wolfhill there was a wee stone fence with a wee Coleen and I used to call her holy socks why I don't know then across the road from the house in Fergies field there was a steel tube stuck in the ground and the sweetest water ever came out of it had to carry 6 buckets a day probably only one bucket made it home I any one interested will post some old pictures. .Fergie used to have the farm further down the road from our house

DOFFER

« Reply #479 on: December 13, 2014, 03:45:19 PM »
Ligoniel at the end of the tram lines remember having to walk up that mountain. .when you got off the tram  and started up the hill there was an old lady who used to sit outside and smoked an old white clay pipe.after a short walk up the hill there was a wee bridge and there was small brook trout in it then you came to the loney that took you up to the Horseshoe Road....after what seemed like a long hike we came to Wolf hill Road and my uncle Robert Templeton lived in #4 at the entrance to Wolfhill there was a wee stone fence with a wee Coleen and I used to call her holy socks why I don't know then across the road from the house in Fergies field there was a steel tube stuck in the ground and the sweetest water ever came out of it had to carry 6 buckets a day probably only one bucket made it home I any one interested will post some old pictures. .Fergie used to have the farm further down the road from our house

yes morton  i would love to see photos of liginiel ,i was born there 1937 ,i too have wonderful memories of walking that road ,, :) and carrying a bucket from the stream tube ,my grannie swore by it being good for you ,
Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning Satan shudders and says 'Oh [censored] shes awake!!'