Author Topic: Ligoniel  (Read 142323 times)

Roy McCann

Re: Ligoniel
« Reply #495 on: March 02, 2015, 11:40:42 PM »
I went to Carr's Glen school around the same time as Ellen Kinkaid,,, about 1967 I also remember Davy Reid and Martin Taggart

Roy McCann

« Reply #496 on: March 02, 2015, 11:51:07 PM »
The shop I remember accross from the church was called Kellys. I used to deliver the morning papres for him, he was a gent and then one night during the troubles he was shot dead, no reason at all, Ballysillan went downhill for a number of years.

Roy McCann

« Reply #497 on: March 02, 2015, 11:53:59 PM »
The shoe shop was called Russells as far as I can remember

Roy McCann

« Reply #498 on: March 03, 2015, 12:12:16 AM »
Hello, I remember the shop opposite the Church was called Kellys, I delivered the morning papers for Mr Kelly in the late 60's

Roy McCann

Re: Memories of Lower Ligoniel Rd./Crumlin Rd.and Ballysillan.
« Reply #499 on: March 03, 2015, 04:48:15 PM »
Hi Jr Member Newry.  Do you mind if I correct you on the shops.  I lived in Silverstream Road and remember the Crumlin Road/Ligoniel Road very well.  There was a shoe shop on the corner then if I remember an undertakers next door to Lynas's paper shop.  I'm not sure what was next door then a wool shop and then the post office.  Am I right so far.  Further on down the road before the Plots there was a supermarket called Becks that was beside the Mayfair sweet shop.  I remember that well we used to buy FIZZ there that coloured our tongue and fingers.
Hello, I'm new to this so bear with me. The undertakers next to Lynas' shop was called Melvilles. I remember the two elderly ladies that served you in Lynas'. I'm near sure the shoe shop was called Russells.Beside the Mayfair I remember a wee chippy, it was lovely, you know the smell of vinegar on chips type of smell.

Roy McCann

« Reply #500 on: March 03, 2015, 05:00:40 PM »
Hi Elwood,
No , the shop opposite Ballysillan Church was not the Mayfair. The Mayfair was further up the road, just above Glenbank, below the chippy.
I cant remember the name of the shop opposite the church but do remember going there (it was a sweet shop) after rationing ended to buy our sweets.
It was converted to a house ( or maybe reconverted ! ) quite a few years later, late 60's or 70's I think.
Hi there, the shop was called Kellys. I did the morning papers for Mr Kelly for a while probably about 1968. Sadly he joined the long list of fatalities due to the troubles around that time.

Roy McCann

« Reply #501 on: March 03, 2015, 05:05:14 PM »
Who remembers the old Ligoniel characters like John "Squeak" Kyle or Geordie "Stoker" Palmer
I remember we used to get a chase from Squeak around Silverstream in the early 60's

Roy McCann

« Reply #502 on: March 03, 2015, 05:12:37 PM »
It was located on the corner of Abbeydale crescent and called Smyth's shop (Mr Smyth in the 1950s) then Dunbar's shop ( Sadie and Davey Dunbar plus Sadies sister in the 1960s) and then Kelly's shop (Mr Kelly was shot dead in the shop by the IRA for not paying protection money) The irony of this is that Mr Kelly was a good catholic man. Hello, this brings back memories,  I delivered the morning papers for Mr Kelly until his death. I remember the night he was shot, my friends and I went to the area to have a nosy, you did that back then for some god knows what reason.

ballysillan old boy

« Reply #503 on: March 03, 2015, 10:23:50 PM »
I remember we used to get a chase from Squeak around Silverstream in the early 60's
With the shape of Squeak he would hardly have caught anyone O0

dorisdickson970

« Reply #504 on: March 06, 2015, 10:08:09 PM »
John  kile  lived in  legvea st  he came from a nice family  lcant remember his mum and dad he had 2 brothers and 1 sister  i was born and brought in ligoniel my unchle jim  and unchlesammy  had pigons they flew  under the name martain kelly  whiley  my granny lived  in ligoniel place  beside jimmy lyness  he was married to my grandfather  niece kitty  martain   they one son he was a minester  i think he went to canada   :P   

ballysillan old boy

« Reply #505 on: March 07, 2015, 12:34:15 PM »
John Kyles brother Billy worked in the council yard in Primrose St and was a gentleman
As for John the least said the better

Rose anna

« Reply #506 on: March 07, 2015, 10:26:49 PM »
The person  who mentioned the Rice family. Yes you are spot on. I had forgotten the names of the girls. Some of the Rice brothers went to England and live in the midlands.

Rose anna

« Reply #507 on: March 07, 2015, 10:31:08 PM »
To Ballysillan old boy. Will you stop ridiculing that ever fragrant gentleman John Kyle.lol yes he came from a nice family but he was horrible.the smell of him would out do a skunk.yet he spoke really posh.

Rose anna

« Reply #508 on: March 07, 2015, 10:36:05 PM »
The supermarket was set back a bit from the road. It was next to the wee Elim church.

ballysillan old boy

« Reply #509 on: March 08, 2015, 02:52:47 AM »
To Ballysillan old boy. Will you stop ridiculing that ever fragrant gentleman John Kyle.lol yes he came from a nice family but he was horrible.the smell of him would out do a skunk.yet he spoke really posh.

Squeak was rag and bone man the Ligoniel Steptoe