Author Topic: Ligoniel  (Read 142997 times)

Rose anna

Re: Ligoniel
« Reply #510 on: March 08, 2015, 11:14:36 PM »
Well his bones were well covered and his clothes were rags.but i do not remember him doing any work Ballysillan old boy

frank gorman

« Reply #511 on: March 12, 2015, 10:36:43 AM »
hi mccoy..ref to harmoney  my father was from there my uncle jimmy lived there untill he died in 1963 family name is gorman had many a fun day spent in harmoney with my brothers and the dills,,,,,,

Roy McCann

« Reply #512 on: March 12, 2015, 12:46:30 PM »
Hi Shillings,

I grew up at 20 Silverstream Crescent from 1958 to about 1979.

Fond memories though I wouldn't recognise too many people now.

udini

« Reply #513 on: March 13, 2015, 06:38:20 PM »
Frank Gorman.  I grew up down Harmony and do remember Jimmy Gorman, we lived in number 3.

Roy McCANN.  My Mum , Dad and brother Raymond Sharkie, lived in number 8 Silverstream Crescent. After my parents died my brother still lives there.
Who,what, where,when and why,I think that says it all.

Roy McCann

« Reply #514 on: March 13, 2015, 06:58:22 PM »
I remember them Udini, they lived next door to big George Irvine and, I think the Weirs were next door to that. Mr and Mrs Patty lived at no.2 in the early days before they moved to Brae Hill. There used to be a wee gap in the houses next to yours where we cut through into the 'Dump' as we called them. That's where the bonfire was lit each twelfth. I lived a few doors up the street. Memories.

mccoy

« Reply #515 on: March 14, 2015, 07:15:54 PM »
hi mccoy..ref to harmoney  my father was from there my uncle jimmy lived there untill he died in 1963 family name is gorman had many a fun day spent in harmoney with my brothers and the dills,,,,,,

Hi Frank remember your uncle I think he was a single guy who lived on his own . Going back to the early 50s there was I think if I remember correctly  a family called Gorman ,who lived a no2  cant remember what children if any there were They moved up to the turn of the road when I was a boy about 60 years

Regards  Jim Mc

frank gorman

« Reply #516 on: March 14, 2015, 11:12:46 PM »
hi mccoy yes moved too lavens drive my cousin still lives there.....small world oh your right about my uncle jimmy ,,,,take care

udini

« Reply #517 on: March 15, 2015, 03:41:45 PM »
hi mccoy yes moved too lavens drive my cousin still lives there.....small world oh your right about my uncle jimmy ,,,,take care

My grandparents, TODD, lived in 11 Lavens Drive , but that was long before it was changed to what it looks like now.
Who,what, where,when and why,I think that says it all.

thewass

« Reply #518 on: May 02, 2015, 12:06:08 AM »
does anyone from Ligoniel know whatever became of Frances Spence,?She used to live in the lower half of Legnavea street,number 13 I think.

Rose anna

« Reply #519 on: May 12, 2015, 07:34:18 AM »
Hi thewass. Francis spence was a bully of the first water. For some reason she had to speak with an English accent when speaking to her father then reverted to broad Belfast outside. She was a big girl bigger than any of us. She married a soldier, who was later killed. apparently she also changed her religion. Last time I heard she was living off the Ballysillan Road.

gordy

« Reply #520 on: May 15, 2015, 11:55:45 AM »
John Kyles brother Billy worked in the council yard in Primrose St and was a gentleman
As for John the least said the better

John Kyles other brother Sammy Kyle worked for the council as well. Sammy was a great pigeon man along with his mate Stevie Gibbons of Lesley street. Sammy and Stevie won many pigeon trophies.

Sachs

« Reply #521 on: May 17, 2015, 03:02:15 PM »

Squeak was rag and bone man the Ligoniel Steptoe

Like some of the other posters I remember Squeak from my young days around Ligoniel.
Years later I was visiting an old friend back in Belfast and he told me Squeak had turned R.C.
Apparently Oul John had cadged his last  at Ballysillan Presbyterian and moved up the road to the Chapel.  ::) [size=78%]   [/size]

« Reply #522 on: June 09, 2015, 11:28:02 AM »
Hi everyone, can anyone here help with me with this?   Many thanks 17124

http://www.belfastforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=62528.new#new

dorisdickson970

« Reply #523 on: June 16, 2015, 10:13:02 PM »
HI FRANK  NICE TO READ YOUR MEMBERIES   ABOUT LIGONIEL  I WAS BORN IN THE VILLAGE  I THINK YOU KNOW  ME AND HUSBAND DAVID DICKSON NICE TO THINK WE OUR STILL AS PROUD TO HAVE HAD THE LUCK OF BEING BROUGHT UP IN SUCH A GREAT PLACE

Mick A Lean

« Reply #524 on: June 27, 2015, 05:05:09 AM »
Hi everyone. Just read about Ewarts mill.    Ewart's mill was on Ligoniel Rd. a little way up from the Chapple,going twords where the trams turned around. (that is going back a bit.)
Mick.
Keep smiling