Author Topic: Ligoniel  (Read 143644 times)

frank gorman

Re: Ligoniel
« Reply #525 on: July 06, 2015, 03:51:26 AM »
Hi  Dorisdickson970   yes I remember  you and  davey  very well  was  speaking  too Davey  in  Queen st ABOUT 9 years ago  you and him  were out  shopping....hope you and david are keeping  well  tell  him  I  said  Hello...all  the  best...frank

Mick A Lean

Re: Memories of Lower Ligoniel Rd./Crumlin Rd.and Ballysillan.
« Reply #526 on: July 15, 2015, 11:33:14 AM »
Hello, I'm new to this so bear with me. The undertakers next to Lynas' shop was called Melvilles. I remember the two elderly ladies that served you in Lynas'. I'm near sure the shoe shop was called Russells.Beside the Mayfair I remember a wee chippy, it was lovely, you know the smell of vinegar on chips type of smell.
G'day Roy.  I can go back a long way.  The shops you refire to were.  Knockers (sweet shop run by 2 sisters one called Eddy) next was Mc tiers ( bakery) then Melvilles  ( undertaker) Lynas   ( sweet shop, newspapers, and barber upstairs) next Sandy O'Hara (hardware) then Jones& Johnson's, (owned by Sam Gaston, ) Grocer, post office. Animal feed. Then Barginnis St.  I hope that is of some help. If I can help with anything about "The turn of the road or it's people, I will stretch the old memory as far as I can.
Mick.
Keep smiling

mccoy

« Reply #527 on: October 01, 2015, 07:40:14 PM »
hi mccoy yes moved too lavens drive my cousin still lives there.....small world oh your right about my uncle jimmy ,,,,take c are

Hi Frank I have  been trying to go back in time a bit on harmony I sure I remember your father but not his family I think there was a little girl younger than me are have I got it wrong.
I went across town to were harmony was along time ago only the bridge over the river is still there sad
jmcc

frank gorman

« Reply #528 on: October 02, 2015, 12:25:25 PM »
hi  mcCOY  yes  he  had  three sisters,,,gerogeina /jean/ elizbeth/lillie/  madge  who  was  drowend...he had  three half  brothers george  sammy  cecil  glass ,,,,,

Bigali

« Reply #529 on: October 31, 2015, 11:55:57 PM »
Hi everyone. Just read about Ewarts mill.    Ewart's mill was on Ligoniel Rd. a little way up from the Chapple,going twords where the trams turned around. (that is going back a bit.)
Mick.

You wouldn't be a fan of The Quiet Man by any chance ?  :D
Support Soldier F Support Soldier B

The courageous deeds and sacrifices of the RUC and UDR must never be airbrushed from history .

Dot/dash

« Reply #530 on: November 01, 2015, 09:50:22 AM »
G'day Roy.  I can go back a long way.  The shops you refire to were.  Knockers (sweet shop run by 2 sisters one called Eddy) next was Mc tiers ( bakery) then Melvilles  ( undertaker) Lynas   ( sweet shop, newspapers, and barber upstairs) next Sandy O'Hara (hardware) then Jones& Johnson's, (owned by Sam Gaston, ) Grocer, post office. Animal feed. Then Barginnis St. I hope that is of some help. If I can help with anything about "The turn of the road or it's people, I will stretch the old memory as far as I can.
Mick.

what a blast from the past Mick       my great granny lived in that street       :(
love me          love my gelding     

Mick A Lean

« Reply #531 on: November 01, 2015, 10:54:06 PM »

what a blast from the past Mick       my great granny lived in that street       :(
G'day Dot/Dash. What was your
granny's name? I may have known her! :)
Keep smiling

thewass

« Reply #532 on: November 06, 2015, 05:19:34 PM »
does anyone know the mcclean sisters who used to live in Silverstream,Ann and Linda?

jacquismith87

« Reply #533 on: November 13, 2015, 02:48:36 PM »
Im wondering if anyone can remember a Susannah Smith from Ligoniel? She died on the 23rd January 1950 at the grand old age of 85, she was married to William Smith.

asp1

« Reply #534 on: November 13, 2015, 08:46:02 PM »
Wondered if anyone knew the Crozier family lived Legmail Street Margaret Catherine and Harry (triplets) or the Maxwell family Silverstream Parade both in the 1960s

thewass

« Reply #535 on: November 18, 2015, 12:47:57 AM »
I remember the croziers,I lived in number 4 legmail street,we left in 1965 for Canada,I went to Everton for a year then Somerdale,then left for Canada,Geordie Whitten was our form teacher,he liked to give the slipper to you if you got out of line.I don't know what became of the croziers but I do remember them,also ann and ruth Mcilhare,my name is John Wilson btw

hawkeye

« Reply #536 on: January 31, 2016, 01:10:27 PM »
I knew Brian Mc Aleese,I went to school with him.They lived then on the Ligoniel Road about 5 0r 6 doors below the library but I think the family moved to Wolfhill Avenue. Sadly Brian is not with us now.
[/quote I knew Brian well we ran around together he was a good lad we served on the alter together at St Vincent's so sorry to here he has passed away rest in peace my friend.

gg 1979

« Reply #537 on: February 16, 2016, 02:54:55 PM »
Hi looking information on the greer's and the quigley's family's  came from lesley street

gordy

« Reply #538 on: March 22, 2016, 10:25:52 AM »
Hi looking information on the greer's and the quigley's family's  came from lesley street

There was a John Greer lived near the bottom of Lesley street.

The only thing that I can remember of him is that he kept ferrets and went hunting with his shotgun.

This is the memories of a 6 year old, I am now 69

roger_morrison

« Reply #539 on: March 28, 2016, 12:23:15 PM »
The barber's name was Isaac Henderson - one of a huge tribe of Henderson's that inhabited Ligoniel and were members of the Methodist Church.