Author Topic: Ligoniel  (Read 143604 times)

Mick A Lean

Re: Ligoniel
« Reply #540 on: March 29, 2016, 12:53:41 AM »
The barber's name was Isaac Henderson - one of a huge tribe of Henderson's that inhabited Ligoniel and were members of the Methodist Church.
G'day Roger, How far can you go back Re: Ligoniel? I knew the Henderson family. I also attended Ligoniel Methodist Church. Billy Henderson's (the window cleaner) son Andy, and my brother were great friends. Also I lived next door to Robbie Henderson.
Mick.
Keep smiling

jacquismith87

« Reply #541 on: June 15, 2016, 02:34:53 PM »
Hi Everyone,

Just wondering of someone could help me?

Im trying to find out where my Gt grandmother was buried?

Her name was Susannah smith late of 186 Ligoniel road, she was married to William Smith, She died on 23rd January 1950 aged 85 (found this information on her Death Certificate and according to it William was still alive when she died)

Thank you :)

gordy

« Reply #542 on: June 15, 2016, 03:21:21 PM »
Hi Everyone,

Her name was Susannah smith late of 186 Ligoniel road, she was married to William Smith, She died on 23rd January 1950 aged 85 (found this information on her Death Certificate and according to it William was still alive when she died)

Hi jacquismith87,[/size]

[/size]
As far as i'm aware, a lot of Ligoniel people in the 1950s were buried in [/size]umgall graveyard.

Antrim & Newtownabbey Borough Council - Umgall Cemetery

Umgall RoadLylehill[/size]Templepatrick[/size]BT29  4UJ[/size]

[/font][/size]
Antrim (Civic Centre) and Newtownabbey (Mossley Mill) Cemetery Offices:[/size][/font]
Monday - Friday: 9:00am-4:00pm
Antrim Civic Centre: Tel: 028 9446 3113
Mossley Mill: Tel: 028 9034 0080[/font]
[size=inherit]Email:[/font] [size=inherit][email protected][/size][/font][/size][/font][/color]

[/font][/color]

jacquismith87

« Reply #543 on: June 15, 2016, 03:26:19 PM »
Hi Gordy,

I have already contacted the office for umgal but unfortunately no record there :(

Thank you for replying :)

Jacqui

Hi jacquismith87,[/size]

[/size]
As far as i'm aware, a lot of Ligoniel people in the 1950s were buried in [/size]umgall graveyard.

Antrim & Newtownabbey Borough Council - Umgall Cemetery

Umgall RoadLylehill[/size]Templepatrick[/size]BT29  4UJ[/size]

[/font][/size]
Antrim (Civic Centre) and Newtownabbey (Mossley Mill) Cemetery Offices:[/size][/font]
Monday - Friday: 9:00am-4:00pm
Antrim Civic Centre: Tel: 028 9446 3113
Mossley Mill: Tel: 028 9034 0080[/font]
[size=inherit]Email:[/font] [size=inherit][email protected][/size][/font][/size][/font][/color]

[/font][/color]

Mick A Lean

« Reply #544 on: June 16, 2016, 01:37:43 AM »
Hi Everyone,

G'day Jacqui. I note you gave your Great grandmother's address as 186 Ligoniel Rd.  My grandmother lived at 184 Ligoniel rd. She was there from before the war until well into the 60s. To my memory, A man called Bobby Toad lived at 186,  and a family called, Darra lived at 182.  (I was born in 184.) I don't remember anyone called smith on that side of Ligoniel Rd. Do you still live in Belfast?
Mick.
Keep smiling

jacquismith87

« Reply #545 on: June 16, 2016, 09:44:57 AM »
Hi Mick,

Thank you for your message,

Did you mean Bobby Todd? If so that was Susannah's son, they were also known as Todds, but we still havent worked out were the Todd name as came from as Susannah was Born Smyth and married a Smith. Her children were William, James, Robert, Thomas and Mary Jane.[/size]

G'day Jacqui. I note you gave your Great grandmother's address as 186 Ligoniel Rd.  My grandmother lived at 184 Ligoniel rd. She was there from before the war until well into the 60s. To my memory, A man called Bobby Toad lived at 186,  and a family called, Darra lived at 182.  (I was born in 184.) I don't remember anyone called smith on that side of Ligoniel Rd. Do you still live in Belfast?
Mick.

Mick A Lean

« Reply #546 on: June 16, 2016, 11:18:59 AM »
Hi Mick,

Thank you for your message,

Did you mean Bobby Todd? If so that was Susannah's son, they were also known as Todds, but we still havent worked out were the Todd name as came from as Susannah was Born Smyth and married a Smith. Her children were William, James, Robert, Thomas and Mary Jane.[/size]
G'day, Jacqui,  Sorry for the misspelling  of the name Todd. I have been on the phone with my older brother. He is some years older than me. His memory is clearer than mine. He remembers Mrs, Smith, Tommy and Bobby  Todd. He also remembers May (?Mary Jane) who married Jim McMurray.  Most of the McMurray family ended up here in Australia. (It's a small world) Thank you for responding, I enjoyed our little chat.
Mick.
Keep smiling

jacquismith87

« Reply #547 on: June 16, 2016, 11:54:27 AM »
Hi Mick,

Yes Tommy was my Grandfather he is buried in Umgal Cemetery, We are all still confused as to were the Todd surname came from. as they were all born Smith.

It would be nice to hear if you or your brother had any memories of them, Im still currently trying to find out were Susannah and William are buried!

Nice speaking with you

Jacqui

G'day, Jacqui,  Sorry for the misspelling  of the name Todd. I have been on the phone with my older brother. He is some years older than me. His memory is clearer than mine. He remembers Mrs, Smith, Tommy and Bobby  Todd. He also remembers May (?Mary Jane) who married Jim McMurray.  Most of the McMurray family ended up here in Australia. (It's a small world) Thank you for responding, I enjoyed our little chat.
Mick.

Brendanmcauley

« Reply #548 on: June 17, 2016, 07:04:23 PM »
Would any remember a jean mc auleys and her father who lived at 292 ligoneil road when Jean died in Jan 1970 this is were she was buried from thank you

Elwood

« Reply #549 on: July 16, 2016, 01:16:27 PM »
Mick.

Hello Mick a Lean. Mary Jane (better known as May) was my Granny and she actually married Rabbie McMurray. Jim Mc Murray was my Da and I'm one of the McMurrays who moved to Australia. Jacqui Smith is my second cousin and we've both been busy trying to sort out the Smith/Todd mystery. Where abouts in Oz are you?

Elwood

« Reply #550 on: July 16, 2016, 01:22:02 PM »

Hello Mick a Lean. Mary Jane (better known as May) was my Granny and she actually married Rabbie McMurray. Jim Mc Murray was my Da and I'm one of the McMurrays who moved to Australia. Jacqui Smith is my second cousin and we've both been busy trying to sort out the Smith/Todd mystery. Where abouts in Oz are you?

By the way how are you Jacqui? Still on the trail I gather. Haven't been on Bacefook lately... got a bit bored with it all. Drawing too many dead ends regarding the family tree stuff.

jacquismith87

« Reply #551 on: July 18, 2016, 09:49:18 AM »
Hi Hazel, Im not too bad :) how about you?, Im still doing bits and bobs in regards to the Family tree, mainly trying to find out where our Gt Granny Smith/Todd is buried :(  Its such a mystery lol

udini

« Reply #552 on: July 24, 2016, 04:30:44 PM »
Hi Hazel, Im not too bad :) how about you?, Im still doing bits and bobs in regards to the Family tree, mainly trying to find out where our Gt Granny Smith/Todd is buried :(  Its such a mystery lol
Hi, my Grandparents WILLIAM & ELIZABETH TODD lived at 11 Lavens Drive. I really don't know anything about him but she was a GRAHAM from somewhere in the Shankill. I remember hearing that he was from Ballyclare but then later heard Ligoniel.
Who,what, where,when and why,I think that says it all.

RobertTodd

« Reply #553 on: September 01, 2016, 08:50:37 PM »
For reasons far beyond my comprehension I found myself browsing this forum last night and it looks like I have stumbled across a family mystery which I knew nothing about.

My grandfather whom I was named after, was Bobby Todd and my grandmother was Frances Todd better known as Lalla and they also lived in Lavens drive so it looks like I am related to Udini and Jacquismith87. Maybe 2nd cousins.

At this stage I have no answers to the Smith/Todd mystery but I know my sister has done extensive research with the family tree and managed to go back quite a few generations.

I am currently back in N.I. visiting family and will take the opportunity to speak to my uncle Jack and aunt Roberta (Bobby's son and daughter) to see if they can shed some light on the subject. Unfortunately my father Howard passed away last year and this sort of thing would have been right up his street.

Jacquismith87 please feel free to pm me, I will put you in touch with my sister who has all the info on the family tree

Ginger33

« Reply #554 on: September 29, 2016, 01:48:28 PM »
Hi there I went to st. Marks for my first year of school in p1 then the new school was built then it was Lionel primary I remember mrs mcquitty and Mr Bloar if that's how it's spelt I left in 1970 and went to Everton girls secondary school I lived on Silverstream road . Number 33 my maiden name was,Ann Beattie .