Author Topic: Ligoniel  (Read 142981 times)

Shillings

Ligoniel
« on: September 26, 2009, 10:39:34 PM »
Anyone from Ligoniel on here, got any old Stories from the Ballysilliam Road or Silvertream from Back in the Day  ;)
Tir Gan Teanga, Tir Gan Anam

sydenhambetty

Re: Ligoniel
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2009, 01:00:13 AM »
Shillings did you know the Mc Aleeses?
Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.  Oscar Wilde

ArdoynePaul

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009, 04:06:14 PM »
I knew Brian Mc Aleese,I went to school with him.They lived then on the Ligoniel Road about 5 0r 6 doors below the library but I think the family moved to Wolfhill Avenue. Sadly Brian is not with us now.

Shillings

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 09:33:30 PM »
No I dont know the McAleeses. We only lived in Ligoniel for a Few Months, but i just wanted to see of anyone had any old stories about the Place, and old Names because i might remember some people, but probably not  :)

big e

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 12:23:32 AM »
Isack had a barbers shop up past the police station on the left .Dont know his surname but the shop was covered with photos of boxers.Charged ninepence and every haircut was the same no matter what you asked for.

poogle

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 02:16:12 PM »
Shillings,
             All my father's side of the family came from ligoniel-my aunt still lives there.It has changed alot over the years-lost the village attitude-shame.He and my uncles told me all kinds of stories about growing up in it.I still carry fond memories of visiting my Granny in  Ligoniel.

headtheball

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2009, 09:25:31 PM »
did you know the mcReynolds family?
The person who never made a mistake has  never made anything

MAY ALLEN CRAWFORD

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2009, 01:28:34 PM »
do you remember savage family  lived in esteriol park or edwards family from ladbroke drive i am their cousin

colgonk

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2009, 04:21:51 PM »
Ligoniel library. One of my all time favourite places in Belfast. I spent a large part of my childhood in that building. Well, between that and the park across the road from it dossing around the old ruins of the mill at the back, reading books and beaking off school. Great days indeed.
A few years back I went on an internet treasure hunt trying to find pictures of the library. You would not believe how difficult that was. I ended up contacting them and asking if they'd have a couple of pictures to send me. They did. I was pleased. Out of interest, does anyone else have any pictures of aforementioned building? Scrap-book material, you know?
Hello, btw.
A right moaning, xxxxxx that spends most of his time complaining about this, that, the other and anything else you may mention...

Shillings

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2009, 04:49:18 PM »
Was there anyone here from the Silverstream area ???

four-stroke

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2009, 08:34:50 PM »
Ligoniel library. One of my all time favourite places in Belfast. I spent a large part of my childhood in that building. Well, between that and the park across the road from it dossing around the old ruins of the mill at the back, reading books and beaking off school. Great days indeed.
A few years back I went on an internet treasure hunt trying to find pictures of the library. You would not believe how difficult that was. I ended up contacting them and asking if they'd have a couple of pictures to send me. They did. I was pleased. Out of interest, does anyone else have any pictures of aforementioned building? Scrap-book material, you know?
Hello, btw.

I've been trying to locate a mill beside a diary farm in Ligoniel, dating back to 1869/70.
The farm was owned by a family called Stevenson who delivered milk around the Ligoniel area. The mill may have been called Montgomery"s. Could this be your "ruins of the old mill at the back of the park"? This family sold up and immigrated to southern Illinois, along with two of my ancestors who had married into it, in1870.

four-stroke

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2009, 08:49:08 PM »
Was there anyone here from the Silverstream area ???
My chum back in the late 1950"s was George Startup who lived just beyond the grassy bit on the left going down Silverstream Rd. He lives in Canada now--Ontario I think. We went to the Boys Model.

big e

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2009, 09:23:51 PM »
Hi Shillings and Four Stroke.
                   I lived in Silverstream Gardens up to 67. New Geordie Startup.
                  Tall fella with dark hair.
                  Tommy Beattie was a mate of mine.He lived a few doors away.     

colgonk

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2009, 05:37:48 PM »
I've been trying to locate a mill beside a diary farm in Ligoniel, dating back to 1869/70.
The farm was owned by a family called Stevenson who delivered milk around the Ligoniel area. The mill may have been called Montgomery"s. Could this be your "ruins of the old mill at the back of the park"? This family sold up and immigrated to southern Illinois, along with two of my ancestors who had married into it, in1870.

That could well be the case, hey. For sure around the right time period. I've just went on a mental dander round there for the last few minutes. I mean a walk in my mind, not a meander full of crazy happenings. Mind slipping in my old age (sic). If I'm not mistaken when you walk straight across from the entrance to the park and old mill you end up in...what was the name of that estate? Glencairn? Typically the little glen was/has been/is being used as a dump site so what would have been a lovely little spot before the estate was built is/was full of old fridges, burnt out cars and rotting sofas. And sadly the 'dump dandruff' spreads rapidly. I never liked that estate. It always filled me with a sense of urgency to scat before sundown...but I digress...

Years ago (not sure if they are still there, although I doubt it very much) you could see the other marking stones/cairns that, if I'm not terrible mistaken in this, formed a triangle and gave rise to the estates name. One on the T.O.R beside an old well, long filled in and the other behind Ballysillan Primary school.

Gods teeth, but that takes me back.

"Was there anyone here from the Silverstream area"

I grew up in Ballysillan Drive, just round the corner. But I'm terrible for names and faces.

I always found it saddening that what was no doubt a 'silver stream' at one stage was turned into a sewer outlet.
The fun we had as kids when each and every year without fail the stream would rise and flood the roads. Treacherous around Wintertime when it froze over and we had to make it up the bloody hill on hands and knees to get to school.
And the little swampy pond behind our family home, full of frogs and pond skaters. I loved playing round there as a nipper. Then the powers that be built a housing estate over it. [censored]. At the same time they were building that they were also leveling most of the Ballysillan/Tyndale estate. Confused the hell out of me as a kid that did. Seemed wasteful in the extreme.

I've just noticed that I've went off one there and I'm meant to be getting dinner together...TO THE KITCHEN! 

(EDIT) "Tommy Beattie"

That does seem to ring faint bell for me. Did they deliver coal or collect old metal or something? That'll keep me puzzled all night now (sighs)
A right moaning, xxxxxx that spends most of his time complaining about this, that, the other and anything else you may mention...

headbanger

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2009, 10:17:19 PM »
Isack had a barbers shop up past the police station on the left .Dont know his surname but the shop was covered with photos of boxers.Charged ninepence and every haircut was the same no matter what you asked for.
Isaac Henderson was the name,only one style of haircut short back an sides.  .Headbanger.