Author Topic: Ligoniel  (Read 140751 times)

Brodie

Re: Ligoniel
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2011, 09:33:21 AM »
Doffer- I was always fascinated with Ligoniel,especially the row of white washed cottages,
sitting back from the road,behind a stone wall.I also remember a girl Martha McGinty who
lived there and attended StMark's,if my memory serves me right.
I also remember Bill's loney that led to some farm houses and a short cut home to
Silverstream,even though we were told to keep to the main roads.

Moonlight

« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2011, 10:26:52 AM »
Hi Moonlight, We pronounced it Lag a neil but then I was educated at St.Mark's!  :smile:

Thanks Brodie, Sure we never pronounced anything right in Belfast.  That's part of the fun. but it must confuse the outsiders. :D .
Once sent out a word takes wing beyond recall

fulton

« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2011, 12:10:12 PM »
Fulton - Do you remember any of the Teachers at St.Mark's?
ie. Mrs.Mcquitty,Mrs.Ritchie,Miss Luff,Mr.Lamont and of course the unforgettable
Mr.(taffy)Welchman.

G'day  Brodie, I remember Mr. Lamont ( he taught me in several grades) and Mr. Welchman. ( he taught me in 7th, grade) other teachers I remember over the years were Miss Ray" a lovely lady" Miss Miller, Miss Murray( to become Mrs. Kennedy) Mrs Macammy "an old so&so.) Mr. Grey, and Mr. cummings. You have brought back some wonderful memories.

fulton

« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2011, 12:48:00 PM »
Doffer- I was always fascinated with Ligoniel,especially the row of white washed cottages,
sitting back from the road,behind a stone wall.I also remember a girl Martha McGinty who
lived there and attended StMark's,if my memory serves me right.
I also remember Bill's loney that led to some farm houses and a short cut home to
Silverstream,even though we were told to keep to the main roads.    Martha Mc Ginty lived 2doors from my Granny.

DOFFER

« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2011, 01:11:14 PM »

THE MCGINTY FAMILY LIVED A FEW DOORS AWAY FROM MY GRANDMA  I KNEW THEM WELL GROWING UP IN LAG A NEL  LOL
I HAVE A FEELING I MAY HAVE KNOWN THE FULTONS ALSO ,
SCULLIONS ,ROSS ,RITCHIE WEE SHOP ,BOAL FAMILY ETC ALL SAME ROAD
Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning Satan shudders and says 'Oh [censored] shes awake!!'

fulton

« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2011, 10:40:02 AM »
THE MCGINTY FAMILY LIVED A FEW DOORS AWAY FROM MY GRANDMA  I KNEW THEM WELL GROWING UP IN LAG A NEL  LOL
I HAVE A FEELING I MAY HAVE KNOWN THE FULTONS ALSO ,
SCULLIONS ,ROSS ,RITCHIE WEE SHOP ,BOAL FAMILY ETC ALL SAME ROAD
Did you know the Haddicks, or the McCloys?

RSL

Memories of Lower Ligoniel Rd./Crumlin Rd.and Ballysillan.
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2012, 06:54:07 AM »
Maybe Doffer or some other members might remember these places.
I will start at the intersection of Bilston(The Loney) when I was there,and Crumlin Rd.
Shops- Co-op,McEvoys sweet shop,row of houses then Walkers toy shop,Billy Cobweb's( wee grubby) sweet shop,George
Hilary(grocer)Pub,Primrose milk bar,fish shop,O'Hara's bakery,more houses and Ballysillan Church.

Opposite side,starting at corner of Ligoniel Rd.and Crumlin Rd. - Mrs.Young's,sold lovely bacon,cheese,spuds,wee bundle of sticks-she let us weigh our own potatoes.
Across the ligoniel Rd.from here there was a fruit and veg.shop(not sure but think it was Mrs.Cairns)heading down towards
city,butcher Mawhinneys,shoe shop,hairdresser(Hoffmans) Barber,some houses,past Oakley St. Lynas's milk bar,Fish and
chippy,wool shop,grocer,Elim Gospel Hall,Glenbank Dr. Plots(lovely tomatoes from the glass houses) I can almost still smell them.

These are memories from early 1960's so a bit sketchy. :)

Ulster1922

Re: Memories of Lower Ligoniel Rd./Crumlin Rd.and Ballysillan.
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2012, 10:27:07 AM »
What great memories. .Thank you for sharing. .Billy Scott
No matter where I roam, Belfast will always be my home.

RSL

« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2012, 12:00:05 PM »
What great memories. .Thank you for sharing. .Billy Scott

Your most welcome,Billy.I can truly say that growing up in Belfast was one of the
happiest times in my life and I have many treasured memories of my childhood there.
Kind regards.N.

Ulster1922

« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2012, 09:50:35 AM »
Know what you mean newry. I grew up on the Oldpark Rd/Manor St & love my memories.
I often think of all the places in Belfast I used to go as a boy & the memories I have. One of my favorites
was going to the Albert Bridge to watch the boats leave the quay & dream of all the places I wanted to visit.
I'm sure we all have memories that would be nice to share on the forum.
It would be nice to start a new thread for something like that.....Billy

RSL

« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2012, 02:20:08 PM »
Hi Billy,
I remember the upper part of Oldpark Rd. as I went to school
in Dunkeld Gdns.
Did you ever follow those dreams?
I too used to spend a lot of time( when I was supposed to be helping with the chores)
gazing out our bedroom window at the picturesque view of the city and harbour and wonder
what adventures lay ahead for me. :) Even though times were tough especially for our
parents,we were safe and happy and learnt a lot of valuable lessons.
It's way past my bed time so I will say good night.

four-stroke

« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2012, 05:44:20 PM »
I remember coming home from school (old Model on Cliftonville Rd) and being nearly blown off my feet in a fierce gale at the corner of Manor St and Oldpark Rd. When I got home, I learned the Princess Victoria had gone down  that day. 1953 I think(?) Dont know why I wasn't on a (Waterworks) bus; maybe they were off that day.

theengineer

« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2012, 08:38:44 PM »
Good memory Newry !
I remember most of those names myself, grew up in Wheatfield. .went to Everton Primary and Forth River Primary.
There was also Hamiltons Chemists at the "turn" of the road and a shop opposite Ballysillan Church, but cant remember the name....remember buying sweets there after rationing!

Ulster1922

« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2012, 09:42:37 AM »
Hi newry, I did indeed follow them dreams. After many trips to England & Europe, I came to the USA & have visited 46 states & Canada
I still love to travel although not as much as I used to because of health issues.
I went to Finiston & Boys Model & used to love to look down over the lough & watch the boats come & go & watch planes take off from Short Bros. & Harland. They were happy day's as you said.
Well I am off to bed. Take care, Billy Scott

Hi Billy,
I remember the upper part of Oldpark Rd. as I went to school
in Dunkeld Gdns.
Did you ever follow those dreams?
I too used to spend a lot of time( when I was supposed to be helping with the chores)
gazing out our bedroom window at the picturesque view of the city and harbour and wonder
what adventures lay ahead for me. :) Even though times were tough especially for our
parents,we were safe and happy and learnt a lot of valuable lessons.
It's way past my bed time so I will say good night.

RSL

« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2012, 11:42:43 AM »
Good memory Newry !
I remember most of those names myself, grew up in Wheatfield. .went to Everton Primary and Forth River Primary.
There was also Hamiltons Chemists at the "turn" of the road and a shop opposite Ballysillan Church, but cant remember the name....remember buying sweets there after rationing!

Thanks engineer,I left out the chemist! I was beginning to think I had just imagined those places.
I started school at St.Mark's primary,then Wheatfield,then Girl's Model,then finished school in England.
I remember a shop on the same side of the road as the church,but can't picture the one opposite.I will
ask my older sister.we were there mid 50's - early 60's.