Author Topic: Thompsons Restaurant  (Read 2316 times)

John Richards

Thompsons Restaurant
« on: September 27, 2009, 07:17:52 PM »
It's unlikely that many people have direct memories of the original Thompsons Restaurant in Donegall Place (corner of Donegall Place and Castle Lane), though the Cafe a little further back towards the City Halls might be more familiar. But any photos or family info on Thompsons, especially pre WW1 would be much appreciated. The restaurant, founded by Charles Thompson in the 1840s and afterward run in succession by his sons Charles and Alexander, was sold out of family control after Alexander's death, 26th September 1909.

JimG

Re: Thompsons Restaurant
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2009, 08:24:04 PM »
Many directories include the restaurant describing it/or Charles Thompson as Cook Confectioner and Restaurant. I didnít find a home residence until much later http://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/dcomplete1901_1.htm
The number changes by 1901 to
No 14. Thompson & Son, Confectioners & Restauranteurs; (Is this the cafe you describe or the next owners establishment?)
 the description continues res., 104 Eglantine Avenue. The entry for 104 Eglantine Avenue reads as Thompson, A., confectioner
Mullans bookshop was in existence then, perhaps some memory exists at least the press reporters of the time would have missed it
good luck, jim

floral

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009, 09:26:17 PM »
It's unlikely that many people have direct memories of the original Thompsons Restaurant in Donegall Place (corner of Donegall Place and Castle Lane), though the Cafe a little further back towards the City Halls might be more familiar. But any photos or family info on Thompsons, especially pre WW1 would be much appreciated. The restaurant, founded by Charles Thompson in the 1840s and afterward run in succession by his sons Charles and Alexander, was sold out of family control after Alexander's death, 26th September 1909.

Was that the same Thompsons that was in Arthur Street?

John Richards

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 09:49:27 PM »
14 Donegall Place is the address at the time of AT's death, though I believe that wasn't the exact site of Charles T's establishment, which was set up before the opening up of the whole street to the North. From memory (notes not to hand) I think Eglantine Ave was the address before the family moved to Deramore Drive, to a house then (not now) called 'Merlin', from where AT was buried. The Museum has photos of Thompsons pre WW1 which show it very clearly. What I don't know is whether the Victorian building which housed it survived until the big bomb or whether it was 'developed' prior to that. The Abercorn restaurant, which was badly hit by the bomb (is that right?), may have been a commercial descendant of the original Thompsons, as that was a trading name they had at the time of the sale of the business after 1909. I have the full will and sale package, a fascinating cross-section of Belfast commerce a hundred years ago, which lists all  the firms, including some here in Glasgow, with whom the Thompsons traded.

Charles Thompson's house ('in the plains'), of which I have some photos of the back, was Alma Cottage, which was on Agincourt Ave, facing the end of Rugby Rd., now redeveloped. I would dearly love to see any photos of the front; I'm sure it must have been recorded, even if only when demolished in, I guess, the 1980s. Something I should have written to Charles Brett about while he was still alive.

elvisgirl

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 08:40:24 PM »
Hi John,
I would love to hear more about the Thompson family & their restaurant. Are you personally connected to them, or do you just have an interest? I love looking at pictures of the Houses of all the rich folk round Belfast, though sadly few pictures still survive, so I would love to see the photos of Alma Cottage

John Richards

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 10:13:59 AM »
If you send me an email address I could send you photos as attachments. The Thompsons are my mother's mother's family.

lillebetta

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2018, 06:11:04 PM »
The Weekly Telegraph, Saturday, March 10, 1906
has an article and photo of interior.

I don't know how to post it. If interested email me and I'll send it in an attachment.

lillebetta

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2019, 07:05:11 PM »
If you send me an email address I could send you photos as attachments. The Thompsons are my mother's mother's family.

Hi John,

If you are still here I would love to see those photos. I am related as well. My grandmother's sister's husband was a Thompson from Belfast, son of Charles the restauranteur. Thanks. I don't know how to PM here?

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2019, 09:22:22 PM »
lillebetta, click on John Richards' name (left hand side of thread) & click on send PM. John hasn't been active since 2017 but that doesn't mean he wouldn't get a notificaton.  Failing that, you could try asking the modertor to send him a message asking him to view your posting.Hope you find him & good luck.

lillebetta

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2019, 09:37:25 PM »
Thank you.

moorsy

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2019, 09:50:16 PM »
Alma Cottage,as it was called,but it was far from being a cottage. A big two storey white house facing the Lagan whose grounds sloped down to a C.D. building erected during the war. It was viewable from the Ormeau Embankment, the Agincourt Ave side was hidden by a high white wall.  Everybody from our area used to wonder who lived there.
i,m out of my mind,but feel free to leave a message.

lillebetta

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2019, 09:54:10 PM »
Oh my. I am stunned. Thanks for the info. That changes my search.