Author Topic: Did you or a relative serve with the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers?  (Read 123729 times)

QS

Hi Everyone

I am trying to put together a list of Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers and their enlistment dates.

For example I have 3 relatives of mine:

Enlisted 03/01/1928 - 6976124 Fusilier John Patterson

Enlisted 17/10/1933 - 6977491 Fusilier Patrick Smith

Enlisted 20/10/1937 - 6978937 Fusilier Alexander Hegarty

If anyone could help add to my list it would be very much appreciated.

Regards

QS

scotmum

Re: Did you or a relative serve with the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 09:11:41 PM »
what end purpose do you have. .a searchable database or similar?

Giannineo

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 09:25:38 PM »
JAMES COPELAND OF NEWRY.
 36TH, ULSTER DIVISION, BATTLE OF THE SOMME.

QS

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 11:44:03 PM »
what end purpose do you have. .a searchable database or similar?

Yeah, something like a database/spreadsheet. As you can see I listed some relatives of mine. It would be nice to know how long their comrades served by looking at their numbers. This is not for profit or gain, just my own knowledge. Of course I would be happy to do look ups for others when complete.

Regards

Conor

scotmum

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2009, 09:17:16 AM »
 .have you considered approaching the following (perhaps they would be happy for someone to take on such a task as putting together a database and be willing to work with you)? I have found them to be helpful in the past:

RESEARCH ENQUIRIES SHOULD BE ADDRESSED TO: 

The Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers Regimental Museum
    The Castle
    Enniskillen
    Co. Fermanagh
    Northern Ireland
    BT74 7HL

Tel: + 44 (0) 28 6632 3142   
    Fax: + 44 (0) 28 6632 0359

delane

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 01:15:57 PM »
hi,QS,... i did some research some time ago, there was 3,john mullan,s in this regiment in the 2nd boer war,1899-1901..2,died of there wounds,..there was one left,john mullan private 6496.. my ggfather with the same name served in the boer war,2nd..i did get in touch with,[Enniskillen castle museum] for info on this soldier,..all info will be at [KEW] london,...if at all you find some details could you please let me know,..nobody in our family circle, know,s any history of our grandfathers history, in the boer war,...thanks again,...regards,...delane...
the older you get the worse you get..

irisharab

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2009, 05:04:02 PM »
Hello QS
my father served in the skins from around 1946-1950 in malaya and singapore im in the process of sending of a SAR form to the MOD to get his service record my only stumbling block is i dont know his service number hope they can help .

QS

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009, 08:52:27 PM »
.have you considered approaching the following (perhaps they would be happy for someone to take on such a task as putting together a database and be willing to work with you)? I have found them to be helpful in the past:

RESEARCH ENQUIRIES SHOULD BE ADDRESSED TO: 

The Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers Regimental Museum
    The Castle
    Enniskillen
    Co. Fermanagh
    Northern Ireland
    BT74 7HL

Tel: + 44 (0) 28 6632 3142   
    Fax: + 44 (0) 28 6632 0359

Hi Scotmum, I have been in touch with the museum but they will not give out this information in bulk. They are very helpful with personal requests though and thats how I got the info on my relatives above.

Regards

Conor

QS

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2009, 08:55:38 PM »
hi,QS,... i did some research some time ago, there was 3,john mullan,s in this regiment in the 2nd boer war,1899-1901..2,died of there wounds,..there was one left,john mullan private 6496.. my ggfather with the same name served in the boer war,2nd..i did get in touch with,[Enniskillen castle museum] for info on this soldier,..all info will be at [KEW] london,...if at all you find some details could you please let me know,..nobody in our family circle, know,s any history of our grandfathers history, in the boer war,...thanks again,...regards,...delane...

Hi Delene, Are you saying that your Great Grandfather is Private 6496 John Mullan of the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers? If you confirm this I know some people who I could ask for info, thats if you'd like? I dont know anthing myself as its not a period I have a great interest in.

Regards

Conor

QS

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2009, 09:00:30 PM »
Hello QS
my father served in the skins from around 1946-1950 in malaya and singapore im in the process of sending of a SAR form to the MOD to get his service record my only stumbling block is i dont know his service number hope they can help .

Hi, If you contact the Museum at the following address they should be able to provide you with the number.

[email protected]iskilling.com

They have been very helpful to me in the past. The only thing I could add personally was that he was 1st Battalion.

Regards

Conor

charles w

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2009, 12:41:11 AM »
If anyone is intending to visit Kew it is a short rail journey from Heathrow.  The archieves are a short walk from the railway station.  I went there, as my grandfather was in the skins.  On seeing his record I was sorry I did so. 

delane

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2009, 03:23:26 PM »
hello,QS,,...PLEASE ask your friends if they could find any info,...i have my ggfathers marriage cert,... i have tried many times for info..i did go to[kew] to look at the wo97,boxs, [discharge-papers, with no luck...if this is my ggfather who served in this regiment..john mullan private6496 1st battalion.....if you need any more info please give me a bell,ok...nice one...regards,...delane...
the older you get the worse you get..

Quigs

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2009, 11:58:35 PM »
I'm sorry I don't know the regiment yet.  They were called the Skins or Skinners
My grandfather, Patrick Quigley of Derry

I would love to find out where he served.

speedwobble

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2009, 08:14:29 PM »
I would love to find out about my Great Grandfather who served in the regiment.  His name was James William Galbraith and as far as I know he was a soldier before the outbreak of WW1 and survived the war.  My mum says he suffered from shrapnel wounds for the rest of his life.

After the war he was a member of the RIC and served in Kilkeel but was also stationed at various other barracks ending up as a sergeant.

I would be very grateful if anyone could help me find out any more information.

acheux_rifleman

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2009, 09:27:12 PM »
I'm sorry I don't know the regiment yet.  They were called the Skins or Skinners
My grandfather, Patrick Quigley of Derry

I would love to find out where he served.

Hi Quigs...

Only two men of that name served with the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers in the Great War.

20963, Pte Patrick Quigley, R Innisk Fus - later served as T/422317, Pte Patrick Quigley, Army Service Corps.

The other, 7/28605, Pte Patrick Quigley, 7th (Service) Battalion, Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers. He subsequently served with the Labour Corps as 383747, Pte P. Quigley and then as GS/108953, Pte P. Quigley, Royal Fusiliers.

There is a book called 'Three Cheers for the Derrys' - all about the 10th Inniskilling Fusiliers in the Great War. As the name indicates, they recruited for that Battalion from Derry. I have a copy, but not to hand, so will check and get back to you.

Personally I think the first one is your man - the 7th Battalion was raised in Omagh.

Will get back to you.

Best Wishes,

A.R.

We are the Pilgrims, master; we shall go
Always a little further - it may be
Beyond the last blue mountain barred with snow,
Across that angry or t