Author Topic: Did you or a relative serve with the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers?  (Read 123573 times)

maggiemay

Re: Did you or a relative serve with the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers?
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2009, 07:00:22 PM »
Just found out recently that my Great grandfather.John McGuigan was in the Fusilers.He lived in 31  Bow Street.Apparantely his was the 1st military funeral to go up the Falls Road.My cousin got the information from the records and also an account of his funeral from the Irish News.All these years ago and we're only finding this out now!.Apparantely he was wounded and died in a Military in Derry.would anyone have any idea where,in Derry yhis hospital was?
Maggie

acheux_rifleman

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2009, 10:03:47 PM »
Hi there Maggie.

There's a good chance that your Great Grandfather may have died as the result of an accident or during training. I see that he died in October 1915 whilst serving with the 3rd Battalion, Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers.

At that time, the 3rd Battalion, which was formed in August 1914 as a Reserve Battalion, had been moved to Derry from Lough Swilly. Up to that point, they hadn't seen any overseas service.

It may be an idea to check the date of his death in the Belfast Telegraph around that date - this can be accessed at the Newspaper Library at the back of the Central Library in Belfast. If you don't have access, I can have a look next time I'm down.

Lest We Forget.

A.R.

We are the Pilgrims, master; we shall go
Always a little further - it may be
Beyond the last blue mountain barred with snow,
Across that angry or t

speedwobble

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2009, 09:10:15 PM »
Just wheedled a bit of information from my mum about my Great Grandfather.  I always though he had fought in France but it seems it was the Dardanelles.  My mum says he always talked about how cruel the Turks were.

Everyone knows the ANZACS fought at Gallipoli but I had no idea the Skins were in the Dardanelles as well.

maggiemay

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2009, 09:43:35 PM »
Thanks,acheaux-rifleman,for your reply.
I find it strange that we're only finding this out now.My cousin got the newspaper report of the funeral.We didn't know anything about this.He's buried in Milltown with members ao the familt.My cousin had a man from the War Graves Commission out to the grave and they are going to put a plaque on the grave.I find this fascinating.
Maggie

maggiemay

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2009, 09:45:52 PM »
By the way ,acheaux-rifleman
Johns son ,Henry was killed in the Dardinelles
Maggie

Lucybella

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2009, 11:11:59 AM »
I have found two (maybe three) relatives in the Iniskilling Fus.  James Rodgers No 10076 died in Gallipoli 1915.  I think he was a soldier before the war as it states that as occupation on his marriage cert to Catherine McGivern in 1912.
Also a brother Thomas, R Innis Fus 25010 who survived the war, and maybe a brother called William. There are many of that name so cannot sort out which may be a medal card for William. 
Lucy

Rosemary Joan

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2009, 02:59:48 PM »
Dear Achieux
I have this record - WWI
Bannister, David J.
R,Innis.Fus.  Reg. No. 32696
(medal card)
My Uncle.
Any other info??
RosemaryJoan
As ye sow, so shall ye reap

speedwobble

« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2009, 10:08:47 AM »
Have this for my Great Grandfather.

Galbraith, William James
3rd Btn Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers
Regiment No 8400
Joined October 1905
Left 1917 after serving his 12 years

speedwobble

« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2009, 12:41:00 AM »
Sorry after research I need to ammend the details.

!st Batn Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers
Join Date October 1903

He left after having served nearly 14 years.

maggiemay

« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2009, 06:28:16 PM »
Hi Acheux-Rifleman
Thanks for your reply regarding my great grandfather. Do you think that he was a soldier before the war broke out.He was51 when he died.I'm amazed by all of this .My Mother never mentioned this,
Maggie

maggiemay

« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2009, 07:51:47 PM »
Just checking AR
my great grandfather was buried on 6/10/1915.Quite an impressive write up about him in the Irish News.Will check Tele and the other papers tomorrow.Do you think that he was a regular soldier ?
Maggie

Elsa-Mary

« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2010, 06:33:59 PM »
Hello,from Jaen in Spain :smile:

I have recently discovered my grandfather Alexander Robinson is mentioned on the Tyrone Presbyterian Rolls,and was in the RIF.
Apart from that info , and later in Police Force little else apart from marriage / death  certs.
I see that there is a telephone no for Rif given in postings,would I be able to find any more info on him?????--BEARING in mind,I have been unable to pin down his correct birth year,it states 60 yrs old on death cert IN 1958 -BUTthere seems to be no Alexander Robinson born 1898 that is illegitamate,the only one I found born 1896. seems to have a married mother on the 1911 census.
Thanking You
Elsa-Mary

chevron

« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2010, 09:05:52 PM »
My G.Uncle William McNally Belfast served in the Royal Irish Rifles # 9870 Warrant Officer Class 2. Transfered to Royal Inniskilling Fusilliers 9th BN Feb.1918 # 42668 same rank awarded Millitary Medal 1919 France. Dischared after the war went to Wales to work and died there in 19th June 1979 at Hollwell Hospital.I got this information from the Royal Ulster Rifles Museum Library Waring Bfs. BT1 2EW also the battles he was in in France including Map's and discriptions.
chevron 

sasha

« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2010, 09:27:06 PM »
MY LATE FATHER SERVED WITH THE SKINS  1938/1945. served in india.

Giannineo

« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2010, 10:26:32 PM »
my grand uncle John Copeland from Newry served with the Inniskillings at the Somme