Author Topic: Did you or a relative serve with the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers?  (Read 123572 times)

jackryan

Re: Did you or a relative serve with the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers?
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2010, 04:04:47 PM »
MY GREAT GRANDFATHER JOHN McCAFFREY FROM BROOKE TERRACE ENNISKILLEN JOINED UP IN SEPTEMBER 1914 WITH THE 11TH INNISKILLING FUSILIERS UNDER MAJOR SIR CHARLES FALLS HE SERVED UNTIL THE END OF THE WAR. JOHN WAS BORN IN 1864 AND IS BELIEVED TO HAVE SERVED IN THE UNITED STATES NAVY OR MARINES THEN ENLISTED IN THE INNISKILLINGS AT THE START OF THE WAR. HE DIED ON THE 11TH NOVEMBER 1931 WHILST LAYING A WREATH AT THE WAR MEMORIAL IN ENNISKILLEN. IS THERE ANY WAY SOMEONE COULD HELP ME FIND HIS MILITARY SERVICE I HAVE NOTICED SOMEPNE CALLED ACHEUX-RIFLEMAN ON HERE WHO SEEMS TO HAVE SOME KNOWLEDGE IN RESERCH.

JACK

wpooh1962

« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2010, 08:37:37 PM »
I believe my gg grandfather William Coulson served in the 2nd or 3rd Royal Innisklilling Fusiliers. If anyone has any information on William I would be very grateful. I think his regimment number was 27398 and died in 1916 in City & Co Infirmary Derry.

bobdenn

« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2010, 11:03:29 PM »
I believe my gg grandfather William Coulson served in the 2nd or 3rd Royal Innisklilling Fusiliers. If anyone has any information on William I would be very grateful. I think his regimment number was 27398 and died in 1916 in City & Co Infirmary Derry.

wpooh1962,

I have sent you a message.

BD

delane

« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2010, 01:08:47 PM »
Hi Delene, Are you saying that your Great Grandfather is Private 6496 John Mullan of the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers? If you confirm this I know some people who I could ask for info, thats if you'd like? I dont know anthing myself as its not a period I have a great interest in.

Regards

Conor
hello,there,..QS..did you ask your mates,if they had info on this trooper,..from the 2nd boer war..1899-1902. i am at a lost to find info on john mullan.private 6494. this could be my ggfather, if you need any more info please let me know ..regards..delane..
the older you get the worse you get..

geordy

« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2010, 01:05:23 PM »
My Grandfather George Magee served with the Inniskillings in Salonika,Dardenells etc he came from Francis St of Smithfield at the time according to the 1911 census.I contaced the Inniskilling  HQs in Fermanagh via the Castle looking for info on his war service etc I got nowhere.Can anyone help me find out about his army details,Thanks a lot

chevron

« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2010, 02:52:59 PM »
Hi Geordy. See my posting re R.I.F. I got a lot of help from warning street photogrphs and battles my uncle was involved in.  you can give them a try.
chevron

geordy

« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2010, 03:23:53 PM »
Hi CHevron I was in Waring St last year and asked the questions but more specificaly about my Grandfathers personal war details ie rank how long he served etc.They told me try the Castle, Enniskillen I did nothing.Im living in the US .I may get back this year agin but I thought there might be something I could do in the mean time.Thank you very much for your suggestions.Take care have a great day in Belfast
Hi Geordy. See my posting re R.I.F. I got a lot of help from warning street photogrphs and battles my uncle was involved in.  you can give them a try.
chevron

chevron

« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2010, 03:31:19 PM »
Hi Geody. thanks for the reply. actually i'm in Canada not Belfast.chevron

geordy

« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2010, 07:04:29 PM »
Good for you Chevron.Im in Syracuse NY a couple of hours away.

loobyloo2

« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2010, 04:11:20 PM »
Hi,
My Great Uncle William James Boal served in the 9th Battalion Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers, as a signaller in WW1, he was mentioned in despatches, and recieved a DCM for his contribution as a signaller whilst serving in St Quentin 1919. He was with the battalion since 1915.
He then signed up in WW2, but age was against him , so ended up as a pilot with the RNVR, Fleet Air Arm, Worthy Down, where he lost his life age 47 in 1942 in an air collision as a pilot instructor.
There is I believe a memorial to him at Draperstown-St Columba, Church of Ireland Churchyard, Londonderry.

I know he was married to a Margaret Sarah (a.k.a. Daisy) of Tobemore, and probably had children, would love to find this out, not in Ireland and had no joy searching online.

Am pretty sure the Boal side of the family came from Dromore, his father was Robert Boal, also army,served in Gibralter, Egypt, Malta, South Africa, WW1. Hah, tried to join up in WW2 but they wouldn't have him, far too old, but he eventually lived to the ripe old age of 95 and died in Belfast in 1961.

Anyone have any links?
Thanks

bobdenn

« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2010, 08:40:56 PM »
Hi,
My Great Uncle William James Boal served in the 9th Battalion Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers, as a signaller in WW1, he was mentioned in despatches, and recieved a DCM for his contribution as a signaller whilst serving in St Quentin 1919. He was with the battalion since 1915.
He then signed up in WW2, but age was against him , so ended up as a pilot with the RNVR, Fleet Air Arm, Worthy Down, where he lost his life age 47 in 1942 in an air collision as a pilot instructor.
There is I believe a memorial to him at Draperstown-St Columba, Church of Ireland Churchyard, Londonderry.

I know he was married to a Margaret Sarah (a.k.a. Daisy) of Tobemore, and probably had children, would love to find this out, not in Ireland and had no joy searching online.

Am pretty sure the Boal side of the family came from Dromore, his father was Robert Boal, also army,served in Gibralter, Egypt, Malta, South Africa, WW1. Hah, tried to join up in WW2 but they wouldn't have him, far too old, but he eventually lived to the ripe old age of 95 and died in Belfast in 1961.

Anyone have any links?
Thanks

Loobyloo,

Check this link. It would seem to confirm what you already know.  Check about half way down.

BD

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:V5MI_xW86dkJ:pipl.com/directory/name/Boal/William+%22boal%22+%22Draperstown%22&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk

loobyloo2

« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2010, 09:06:40 PM »
Thanks BD

I am new to all of this searching for relatives, finding it quite difficult to trace any of them except those that served in the army!
So, anyone who has Robert Boal , William James Boal or Robert Victor Boal in their trees, give me a shout.
Know they lived in Lurgan in the 1911 census.
Thanks

bobdenn

« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2010, 09:34:03 PM »
And here is a photo of his memorial stone.  A better photo can be purchased at this site:

http://www.twgpp.org/information.php?id=1046361

OTTO

« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2010, 09:34:38 PM »
Thanks BD

I am new to all of this searching for relatives, finding it quite difficult to trace any of them except those that served in the army!
So, anyone who has Robert Boal , William James Boal or Robert Victor Boal in their trees, give me a shout.
Know they lived in Lurgan in the 1911 census.
Thanks

Loobyloo,
You may already know this : Robert Victor Boal married Isabella Evelyn Hull in Waringstown Church of Ireland 8th August 1919. Robert Victor's father was Robert and Isabella Evelyn's was Thomas.

OTTO